Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pak,
<br>
<br>My intent is NOT to slam all non-military pilots. I do not think you are a "Joe pilot." "Joe pilot" is just another loser who happens to be a pilot. He is of the same ilk as those are who told me I could never become a USAF pilot.
<br>
<br>When you said "a lot of us would also aquire those skills if qranted the same resources" you hit the nail on the head, made the very point I'm trying to make, and showed that you are certainly not "Joe pilot."
<br>
<br>The very same concept applies to these guys sucessfully making ultra long range shots on game animals. MOST of us, if we practiced hard enough with the right equipment, could do what they do.
<br>
<br>Blaine

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NO. I hunt North and then west of Gunnison, We take the Oil Creek road , up past Mill Creek and then go into the Castles and hunt from the there. Up towards the Anthracites. Up over Storm Mt pass towards Soap Basin and some southward.
<br>
<br>Sorry about the double post. I was using the wifes Notepad and for some reason if you hit a certain key, everything goes away. I retyped, not realizing it posted.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/01/02.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DC, BOYD, ROTR, and the rest of you Long Range nuts... just joined this forum and I am here as a DDC ( deciple of DC ) somtimes I kill me....
<br>anyway I can see that this could be a fun place to spread the word..... you guys have done a fine job... funny how once DC posts the facts and informs the non-believers in the forums they tend to sit up and listen....

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Wyo,
<br>Hey don't you know matchkings are not a hunting bullet , and nuetralize is not an acceptable word for kill. 338-378

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PBLR....
<br>
<br>Ya know your right, those darn matchkings.... must be the problem!!!
<br>
<br>I keep aimin' at stuff at 100 yards but I never seem to hit anything until it's over 500 yards... They must not start workin' until 500 yards.....

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Wyo,
<br>I sure am glad you used the word HIT, instead of strike hell you would have been starting an air war then.
<br>
<br>It really sucks when santa claus sh*ts in your easter basket!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about the word WHACK.That's a classic.When are we leaving tommorrow?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Wyo,
<br>Did ya ever take notice to what young kids can do with bicycles these days ?? We thought we were cool just poppin a wheely , or jumpin a ramp. THATS AWESOME
<br>The things you can do with a little imagination and will power. Don't ya think?

Last edited by PBLR; 03/01/02.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
ASS,
<br>Now, Whack is perfect and legidimate use of the Pennsylvania language code 0u812.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Darryl, Hmmmmm, let me see, CO, elk, Glenwood Springs, Long Range, 3rd season....
<br>
<br>Does ******ation Ridge sound familiar??? Try filling in the blanks. If it is where you hunt, you'll know and I don't want to give it completely away.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hello Ric
<br>
<br>DDC----That's funny.
<br>
<br>Most of the fellows over here are interested in hearing about the LR way but, some are traditionalist and that's fine too.
<br>
<br>Were not trying to get the hunters to change their style at all. There's certainly enough longrange hunters now. We just want to inform those who are getting into it ,as of late, to please learn to do it correctly. If I can help out in any way, based on the experiance gained over the years, I will.
<br>
<br>By the way, are you still "confused" as to the cartridge we were talking about.
<br>Going with the 300 Ultra or the Tomahawk?
<br>Adding a 6.5 in there somewhere????
<br>
<br>Have a good one
<br>Darryl

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Muley
<br>
<br>By gosh, you know my area. SHHHHH--
<br>
<br>How are you? Do you have a young son that I always kid about crawling up in the elk rib cage because of all the blood he had on his sweat shirt after he carried the liver back to camp???
<br>
<br>I think I know you but, not sure. Friend of Tom G.?
<br>
<br>Shoot me an Email Dcassel@aol.com
<br>
<br>Darryl

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dc,
<br>
<br>I guess I am just impressed by the way you tactfully and methodically spell out the facts and truths of this sport. I tend to get a little emotional when I feel some of us get attact. ( WHO me.... ;-) ) I try to walk away from the keyboard and come back but it doesn't always happen.
<br>I'm not blowing sunshine up you a$$ ..... but your one of the best spokesmen of this sport. You have enough expierience and time in the trenches that most can't argue with.
<br>
<br>I wish I would have learned the "DOD" ( disciplines of Darryl ) haaaa I still kill me... at a much younger age, I was always interested in the l o n g r a n g e stuff but I never had a teacher.... I would love to be able to inform and teach ... but I lack the expierience...
<br>
<br>As far as my new toy.. I had a deal with a guy awhile back that came together at the last minute...
<br>
<br>It's gonna be a 6.5/284 this year.... besides I need ALOT more trigger time before I go past 1K....
<br>
<br>Next year ( if all goes well ) will be the 300 Ultra.. maybe they will have the good brass available then.
<br>
<br>Here's the specs on her....
<br>
<br>28" Hart barrel
<br>8 twist # 5 contour fluted
<br>winchester mod. 70 long action
<br>Jewel HVR trigger
<br>McMillan M40A1 stock ( woodland camo )
<br>bead blast all metal and teflon coat it...
<br>
<br>The smith is cutting the chamber for Lapua brass.
<br>
<br>
<br>what ya think?????
<br>
<br>
<br>

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ric
<br>
<br>Thank you for the kind words.
<br>
<br>Your new outfit sounds great. I'm sure you will like it very much. The 6.5/284 is a good cartridge and is VERY accurate. The 1000 yard Williamsport light gun Score record was held by that one for quite sometime.
<br>
<br>The Hoover family all shoot 6.5/284 rifles there and they do fantastic with it.
<br>
<br>Take care.
<br>DC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Figured that might be you guys. I've never been over to meet you, but I think one of my buddies did a 4-5 years ago. He'd have been driving my maroon F150 extended cab 4x4. Mid 30's and if I remember, VERY impressed with your setup. I see you every year from a couple ridges away. Guess I'll have to drive over and say hi this year, now that I know you!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yes Muley stop over.
<br>
<br>Ray Romain (Gunsmith), his son, my wife and I will be over there. You might want to look to your right a bit also. We sometimes set up over where we have the tent and from there we can cover the end of the mountain that you mentioned.
<br>We may send Ray and his boy over at the normal spot and Carol and I may cover that other spot. You would be to our left and now that I think about it, you may not be able to see us because it is in very thick cover with a decent opening for us to shoot out of.
<br>
<br>If I see someone waving over there, I'll know it's you. I have ranged that spot and it is 3600 Yards from us to that one high spot to our left. Stop over if you get a chance. We get there on Monday or Tuesday and set up camp and just enjoy the hiking and views for a few days before the season comes in.
<br>
<br>Take care and thanks for responding.
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel
<br>

AFB,
<br>Your right most people,if given the right equipment and trigger time could do what we do.But most people,if they put enough effort into it,could have graduated at the top of there class also.Thats the thing most hunters could do it they just wont put in the time to get it right,and therefore have no buissiness trying.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
DC: You guys are making me homesick. I lived a few miles up the frying Pan outside Basalt. Outside Carbondale and finally outside Glenwood also. Had the last house on the left before Ski Sunilight outside Glenwood.
<br>
<br>I met my "better half" there. She is 3 generations from that valley. New Castle, Silt and Rifle. Her family are all still in the valley except brother in Alaska.
<br>
<br>I've been looking for a place up in the Meeker area maybe to move back again.
<br>
<br>Just thinking about it has put a smile on my face this morning anyway...
<br>
<br>Cheers
<br>
<br>tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hello Tex
<br>
<br>We have hunted near Ski Sunlight and very familar with all the areas you mentioned .
<br>
<br>Been hunting out there the last 12 or 13 years in a row.
<br>
<br>We look forward to going back every year.
<br>
<br>Have made many friends there and enjoy their life style.
<br>
<br>I have a friend from Pennsylvania who just moved from Glenwood (lived there about 3 years) and bought a house near Grand Junction.
<br>
<br>Hope you get back to your wifes area again.
<br>
<br>
<br>Darryl

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.