Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Would like some advice.
Am going to pick up a small 9mm pistol for pocket carry. (or small holster carry)
Have a G17 gen-3 now, am going to keep it, but would like a smaller gun for concealed carry.

Am thinking of staying with 9mm, because I would like to stay with one type of ammo, rather than have 9mm and .380 on the shelf.

I figure some of you have some practical experience with small 9mm's, and would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a 9mm Smith and Wesson M&P Compact. It ain't the smallest 9 on the market, but it has thus far been 100% reliable and hits where you point it. I kilt a snake with it about a month ago. That's what I'd get.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'd look HARD at the Kimber Solo.... if I could find one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That make 2 of us, but the Sig P290 is also under consideration in this AO. But if I can ever do a side by side I have a feeling the Solo will win out in the end. As to my predilection towards JMB type designs.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would not deviate from the wisdom of the previous two posters.... cool

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
I'd look HARD at the Kimber Solo.... if I could find one.

If I were in the market for a "pocket" 9mm, that's the route I would go.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Kahr CM9 would be worth a look, I've seen them for sale at $429 new, albeit with just the one magazine from the factory. They're as small as a S&W 442 and narrower.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Also look at the Ruger LC9

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the good advice, all.... gives me a few to look at rather than 50 or 60 to look at...
great stuff.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Would like some advice.
Am going to pick up a small 9mm pistol for pocket carry. (or small holster carry)
Have a G17 gen-3 now, am going to keep it, but would like a smaller gun for concealed carry.

Am thinking of staying with 9mm, because I would like to stay with one type of ammo, rather than have 9mm and .380 on the shelf.

I figure some of you have some practical experience with small 9mm's, and would like to hear your thoughts.I would also look at a kahr PM9.coobie

Thanks in advance.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kel-Tec PF9 or P11. My nephew has the PF9 and I've got the P11. The PF9 is a bit thinner, but the P11 holds 12+1. The PF9 has a bit more recoil than the P11. The biggest thing for me was that the P11 fit my hands better. Both cost the same money here.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love my Kahr PM9... It has been 100% reliable....an easy pocket carry....great sights and really accurate. The new CM9 is the same size and less expensive.

What is the appeal with the new Sig and Kimber small 9s? No track record yet is there?

Please don't feed the trolls!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Browning Hi-Power is a great SD gun, been around a long time with a proven track record.

Dick

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
you sure have a lot of options...(and as mentioned, you can't go wrong with the kimber).

since you already use the glock 17, a viable option is the glock 26--though it is not really all that small--an advantage is that you already know the manual of arms, and its fairly reliable. unfortunately, no second strike capabilty though. for range work/drills, you can also use your g17 mags--which you will grow to prefer at times.

the kel tec pf9 and p 11 are reasonably good too--unfortunately, the keltec pf9 has a cross slot in the dust cover, which can be a real problem for snag free draw if you opt for pocket carry--while the p 11 dustcover is smooth. more importantly, the p 11 allows you to have second strike capability in the event of a harder primer and failure to fire--a great advantage over the pf9. this is a feature i feel i must have in a defense piece--to have second strike capability on a primer (as per usual procedure, you may simply rack that round out, but if the unfortunate event that the next one on tap has a hard primer also, you're back to square one--whereas in the situation of a former strike on a hard primer, the second strike can often tip the balance).

those primers are not as much of an issue now, unless you use some harder primered 9mm ammo intended for some other systems. though it doesn't crop up very often with most full size firearms, as you move into smaller guns whose hammers are have less mass, or smaller striker fired guns--it should be in the back of your mind--it could happen.

back in the early 80's, i used some factory speer lawman ammo in 357, which had very soft primers--and the loads were quite hot. i would often get primer metal flowing back into the firing pin bushing--subsequently tying up the cylinder. the eventual solution was harder primers--which helped remedy this situation. but, around this time we began to see striker fired semi autos such as the hk p7, and the glock arrive on the scene. i remember having quite a few failures to fire with some of those early glocks (1989-1993), due to those harder primers, and one cure then was to use ammo with either federal or winchester primers--but since then this problem has been largely remedied.

but it can stick in one's mind...

i prefer the hk p7, and have used same for 24 years--though it is too heavy for some carry situations, and it could never really be a pocket piece. with the keltec p 11 you can utilize a stainless steel belt clip which you can attach to the side of the frame--so for some situations you can use same, and the need for a holster for the lightweight is eliminated. i use that system for some carry situations.

have not yet used a ruger lc9, but as per usual, their wares are always good--but sometimes its wise to consider waiting about a year...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
He said: "Pocket" carry. 80% of the respondents did not answer his question.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently had this under consideration....and bought a Taurus PT709. I went to a gunshop that let me shoot a Ruger LC9, a Kel-Tec PF-9, the Taurus, and some kinda Kahr 9mm compact.
Kahr - that Kahr is SUEWEEET! BUT, I only had $400 in the kitty at the absolute mostest, and the Kahr was far & away more than that.
Kel-Tec - shot very nice, but my finger kept pushing the front sight all over the darn place. it would take a bit of shooting to get sued to that
LC-9 - again very nice, and felt like a step-up from the Kel-Tec. The pull for both of these was again heavy enough to make accurate shooting a bit more challenging.
PT709. I got this because of the single-action/double-action firing mode. This is basically like a Glock, but if you read any of the reviews they all say the same thing - although the trigger has a comparitively long take up, if is super-light, with 2nd strike capability, it made my deicisison as being the easiest/most accurate to shoot by far.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
dan,

i read his question as; ...for pocket carry.(or small holster carry)

unlike the .32, and .380 in keltec or seecamp, etc. which are reasonable sizes for pocket carry, i've found that in getting into smaller 9mm's, for me they don't pocket as handily as these other smaller calibers--(unless of course a fellow is wearing pants with somewhat bigger pockets, or hiding the 9 in a jacket with a decent sized pocket).

with this in mind, i prefer a belt clip (such as for the keltec p 11) which gets it inside the waistband, or a holster for the smaller 9's...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you decide on the "small holster carry" option, my S&W LadySmith is reliable, accurate and easy to conceal.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kahr CW-9

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I've got a 9mm Smith and Wesson M&P Compact. It ain't the smallest 9 on the market, but it has thus far been 100% reliable and hits where you point it. I kilt a snake with it about a month ago. That's what I'd get.

I bought a very slightly used one from my range last year ( with Crimson Trace grips )
And my wife and I both love to carry it.

If I can find another deal like the last one, I'm snapping it up too!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.