Print Thread
Hop To
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Forgive me if this topic has been covered, but I have several questions pertaining to scoping an AR rifle. I presently own a DPMS Panther non-collapsing stock. I have never owned an AR platform rifle and I'm trying to scope it with a Leupold AR series scope. I have already tried two different heights and cannot get a comfortable fit. I am presently trying the Weaver Skeleton 1" extra high mounts. It seems that for me to get proper eye/scope alignment, I am forced to plant my check very firmly on the top of the stock. As never having shot an AR15 type rifle, are there any tricks or special techniques that I should imploy to properly shoulder this rifle? Do I need rings that are taller yet to gain proper eye/scope alignment? Basically to sum it up, I cannot get comfortable with this format. Any tips or suggestions will be welcome. Thanks in advance! - memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Try the Burris P.E.P.R mount. Great one piece mount designed for AR guns and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg like the LaRue and American Defense mounts. You can get the PEPR mount with 1 inch rings which is what you would need for the Leupold AR scopes.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
memtb: I too recently aquired a DPMS Panther Oracle flat top with a collapsing stock and have the same problem with a Weaver K2.5X scope being too low to see thru. I measured frome the top of the rail to the centerline of the scope and found the distance to be .75". I then rigged up several layers of card board the lentgth of the rail with two 6" metal scales sticking up vertically and sighted the shoulderd rifle to see what my eye height above the rail is.... 1.5". (I confirmed my meaurement with my son sighting the rifle.) So, shopping around I found some rail risers from .50" to 1.0" high. They are priced from as low as 10$ to upwards of 50$. I'm going to use one that is .8" high which will give me a total of about 1.6". Close enough for me. Your stock height might be different so give it a measure and see what you get.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Guys it really ain't that hard...

The distance from flat top to factory irons is 1.4". You can buy a half a dozen one piece mounts that will work fine and give you a bit of forward movement to the scope for under $80. Look at Armalite, Rock River, Mod 1 sales, Burris, SWFA.

This comes up everytime someone buys a new AR and this link will let you explore many options at all price ranges.
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Try the Burris extreme tactical rings. Cheap, sturdy and the right height.

IC B2

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sorry it took me to long to get back to the post but I'm involved in a plant turn-around and working nights. Just want to thank you all for taking the time to offer some recomendations. - memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by memtb
Sorry it took me to long to get back to the post but I'm involved in a plant turn-around and working nights.

Gotta love turnarounds working night shift! My time is coming in July!!

2008 turnaround set my personal best for 114 hours in one week...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i put a set of old see-thru mounts on my ar ,perfect height.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i put a set of old see-thru mounts on my ar ,perfect height.

+1

"SUPPORT OUR RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
unless the stock is collapsed, and you shoot 'nose-to-charge handle', then a cantilever mount is needed......

[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've always heard that you want the scope as close to the bore as possible and if I recall, some factory ammo stipulates a 1.5" scope height when giving ballistic info. If you have a big 50 or 55mm on the end of the scope, it may not have enough clearance and wind up laying on the top on the rifle, again I'm told thats no good either, and you need a riser to get it off the bore higher.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.