Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
This past weekend 4 of us went out to scout my friend's desert bighorn sheep unit. for sure in the top 2 or 3 unit's in Utah the west kaiparowits (awesome unit).
The only problem was the gnat's. they were so oppressive we left and drove into Page Az and bought a couple bottle's of Deep Wood's OFF.
Out of the 4 of us 2 claimed that it did absolutely 0% good the other 2 claimed it was actually an attractant.
this product claims 25% deet. what is needed 75% to 100% deet or another product ??????????????????

Lot's of sheep on this unit......dont waste your time trying to find them with 7x-8x bino's bring the 10x-15x bino's a tri-pod and a good straight spotter.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the 100% stuff works all day.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like dog-pecker gnats.... gotta pull your pants down and they won't bother your face anymore. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be careful with the 100% Deet stuff and optics. That stuff works great on bugs and binocular lenses and rubber..

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
>>That stuff works great on bugs and binocular lenses and rubber..<<

And guns stocks and bow finishes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those little buggers are called noseeums. Probably because they are so small, you no see um laugh They are the worst biting insects I have ever encountered. Several places in Utah are miserable with them (usually high desert areas). They are THICK in the area you are hunting for some reason.

They prefer to bite along the hair line, ears, crawl around in your hair and bite your scalp (anywhere that is sweaty, so don't drop your pants). The day after is the worst. They welt up and turn bright read around the bite and itch like a mother. Most repellents don't even bother them, but do seem to attract them. The 100% deet is king and the only thing that seems to work. It is hard on humans and your gear. I don't know how the sheep and antelope handle them biting them constantly. They drive me into insanity. I have left the same day I have arrived on several trips in that country. I just couldn't stand them. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We get em thick ever year. Try Avon skin so soft, I know it sounds odd, but it works....

I think those little buggers are flying teeth.

Last edited by AJD; 06/16/11.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've never had any trouble finding them with 8X binos. Compared to deer, they are a snap to find. Their huge white rump patches show up miles away. You do, however, need to see them first. If they see you first, the game is over for the day.
Yep, nothing like pure DEET. Hopefully, when things dry out, they'll be gone. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried the "skin so soft" and it was like apple pie to the little buggers...lol. They are for sure the flying piranhas of the insect world.

Erimucus, the red rock sandstone they hang out in here is plastered with all kinds of white patches. The sheep REALLY blend into the habitat in the unit. Believe me, they are hard as heck to pick out of the rocks and terrain. I use 8x42 Leicas, but the 15x binos make the glassing SOOO much better.

I have watched rocky areas with seemingly nothing there. Suddenly 8 sheep materialize in the rocks. The sandstone and rocks match the color of their coats and rump patches perfectly. I find that the desert sheep terrain in Utah hides them better than anywhere else I have watched sheep. It's a heck of a hunt and I sure am jealous. I have put in for desert sheep here most of my life. You did good grasshopper. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
549 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.