Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Just did a test drive in a Toyota Tacoma w/ TRD Off Road Package. I'm VERY impressed.
After the test drive, noticed one with the TX Package, and especially the steel rim on it's beadlock wheels. My question is do these actually lock the tire's position on the wheel ? Or are they just for "the look" ? As usual, the salesman didn't know anything about them. Said they just got that one and it was their first, etc.
They seem to have good visibilty, lots of power and handled quite well on the winding road I got to drive. I was quite surprised at the soft ride qualities. Odviously the variable rate shocks in action. E

GB2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd be real surprised if the beadlock is functional. What scenario with a daily driver 4x4 is going to require them? mtmuley

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't know about the bead lock tire/rim combo but I bet these guys will fill you up with information.........................

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/

I'm within a whisker of buying a Tacoma Dbl cab 4x4 SR5, it may even happen tonight. The dealers are really quite an embarrassment IMO. So woefully educated in the products they are selling. I REALLY pity the poor souls that go in and just except an offer right off the bat. Some of the salesman I have dealt with in the past few weeks are pitiful and the sales department borders on criminal!

Good luck E.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Some actually "lock" the beads to the wheel. The rims Toyota sells probably are for looks, but I haven't seen them.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Some actually "lock" the beads to the wheel. The rims Toyota sells probably are for looks, but I haven't seen them.

Real beadlock wheels cost over a grand for four, I doubt those you saw are real. These are the real deal:

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/hutchinson-rock-monster-wheels-m-76.html

We ran these same wheels on our armored F350's in Iraq. Instead of the beadlock disc they had a larger/taller plastic runflat disc. The hutchinson wheel has an inner and outer component that bolts together, no tire machine required. It is the ultimate off road wheel.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I looked at one on Saturday as well. a 4 door crewcab. They have a nice motor and typical Build quality expected from a Toyota. Seats ,Interior and overall design are Horrid. The Salesperson said it would get 22 on the hwy if you drove it carefully. My brother never gets better then 16 on the highway with his extended cab v6 and auto. The only thing it has going for it is resale value.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That and it's probably the most capable off road truck right off the lot.

I havn't driven a taco, but my pre taco toy truck w/ v6 auto extra cab would get 21 on the highway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bead locks are not highway legal as far as I have been told. I'm sure they are show.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks, Lawdwaz. They apparently aren't real beadlock wheels. But they do have heavy steel rims for better rock damage protection. E

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm sure you are right TAK. Some of the ATV drivers I've known, like an undercover DFG Warden usae them so they can get out even if they have a flat. E

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I know lots of people who drive Tacos. While 22 mpg is a bit too optimistic, 20-21 some do get. Alot depends on how and where one drives as well as aftermarket add ons. Something that is usually a mistake.
They are well known for being very capable off road, for holding up and lasting a very long time. That's what makes their resale value so high.
They aren't as capable off road as the Rubicon Jeep, or the Dodge Power Wagon. Their breakover angle isn't as good. And they don't have either the front differential locker or the sway bar disconnect. But they are odviously better than the stock, 4 cly Jeeps I've run for the last 12 yrs. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Mickey Thompson Wheels that have that "bead lock" rim. The reason for that rim is not low air pressure driving like an actual bead lock. But rather keeping the bead protected from rocks and sticks.

Although I have never to my knowledge had a bead come loose on my trucks or land cruisers. I have had this happen on my ATV a couple times. I have had the beads shoved away from the rim by a branch, and by a rock/ boulder.

I Put ITP bead "protector" wheels on my current ATV and have never had it happen again. This Bead Protector is the same exact design at my Mickey Thompson truck wheel design. So they may not be Bead "lock" but they are very good at protecting the tires from dislodging or separating away from the wheel.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks, JJ. I've managed to beat up some rims pretty badly as well so any protection I can give them would be an asset. I'll look up the MT's when I get a chance. E

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
That and it's probably the most capable off road truck right off the lot.

I havn't driven a taco, but my pre taco toy truck w/ v6 auto extra cab would get 21 on the highway.

My Brother has 2 of them..the2003 gets 16mpg highway with an auto and it is a extra cab...they ain't getting 21 unless it is a 4.

Off road truck I'll give it that but I would hate like hell to drive 2000 miles in one each way to a hunting destination.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.