Print Thread
Hop To
J
JLimbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hey Guys does anyone have one of these. I stopped by the local gun emporium on the way home from work. I saw the Ruger under the glass and made the fatal mistake of handling it. I liked what I felt, light weight, really small[just slightly larger than a LCP] and dry firing it revealed a smooth albeit long trigger pull. I sure hope it shoots [after my 10 day cooling off period] cause the sweet gals at the Sheriffs office have left enough room on my CCW to type it in. Hope it works out well because it seems on outwardly appearances to be really well made and only slightly more than half the price of a Kahr. Which is an awesome weapon in it's own right.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Impulse buy huh? (Maybe just good instincts.)

I've never even seen a pic of a Ruger LC9 ... until I just "googled".

On 'looks' alone I like it a lot. Quite stylish IMO.

I also liked the 'specs', size-wise and weight - small, slim, but still enough 'heft' so one knows that is a real gun in your hand.

With all the recent plethoria of micro/carry/pistols out there - I kinda lost interest and figured I didn't need one anyway.

This one might change my mind about that ...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like mine. I have shot about 300 rounds thru it. The trigger pull takes a little getting used to, but its not a problem. I like mine alot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have only handled one, but it is very reminiscent of the LCP in feel, just a little larger. It does not fill my hand very well and I prefer the feel of the SR9c better but of course that matters not to the discussion. I like Ruger products and that one seems like a winner too.

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A guy I work with has one. His has been %100 on function but the trigger sucks. The only other complaint is the safety is to small to hit on the draw without really making a effort to hit it.

I have played with one other in a gunshop and the trigger on it did not seem to be as bad as the one the guy I work with bought. So it might be luck of draw on the trigger pull.

Dink

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have notice that years of my impulse buying led to years of impulse selling. I have had buyers remorse and sellers regret. Nowadays I toss it around for a week or so before doing anything.

"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Ruger has a habit of targeting a market, then manufacturing high quality firearms that are priced well below the competition.

I don't own a LC9, but I own an LCP and it's been a dandy so far.

I'd guess that you made as good of a choice as possible for a very compact 9mm carry pistol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple of flaws in the design....

...the safety and slide release ain't ambidextrous, awkward for a lefty like me.

The kill switch AKA "magazine release" sits above the profile of the grip and is softly sprung. In this case it really IS a kill switch as the pistol has a magazine safety and will not fire with the magazine popped loose.

Ordinarily this might be passed off as a Birdwatcher-specific complaint, but this gun is small and flat enough, while being big enough to be easy to shoot, that it might get stuffed in a pocket rather than a holster.

Along the lines of being small and flat, its a puzzle they didn't make it a two-stack ten shooter rather than the single stack of seven rounds in the magazine.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JLimbo
I sure hope it shoots [after my 10 day cooling off period] cause the sweet gals at the Sheriffs office have left enough room on my CCW to type it in.

I am glad you like your new Ruger but the quoted lines above made me shake my head for all the stupid regs in Kalifornia. A beautiful state but it is AFU in so many ways. I hope the normal folks out there have their voices heard soon!

RH

J
JLimbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Many thanks for the responses. I'm hoping it shoots well because it should work well for pocket carry. It's height and length are close to my S&W 642 but it's much thinner. Should conceal better in snug pants. I should drop some weight off my fat arse but it's a good excuse as any to buy a new gun.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think you are going to like the LC9 very much.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My dad just bought one. If memory serves me, he told me that the instructions stated to NOT SHOOT +P rounds through the weapon.

FSTF
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dhershberger
My dad just bought one. If memory serves me, he told me that the instructions stated to NOT SHOOT +P rounds through the weapon.

Probably just as well...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.