Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is Kimber making any guns right now?

I have been trying to get my mitts on a .280AI Montana. The lady on the phone at Kimber says that they should "start shipping soon" which is the same answer she gave me in April. I've also been thinking about a Montana in a short action non-WSM chambering and nobody has them in stock locally. Within 40 minutes of my house, there are several small gun shops, a Cabela's, and a Wholesale Sports. No Montanas on the shelves and no idea when standing orders will be filled.

While at Cabela's last week, I was ready to lay down the cabbage for a Solo 9mm (as long as I liked the feel of it, etc.), but, of course, they didn't have any and have no clue when they will be able to get some from Kimber. No other stores have them either. And it's not like they are receiving them and selling them as fast as they come in. Nobody is getting anything from Kimber. Why is that?

I started snooping around online and talked to a couple mega-sellers (i.e. Bud's Gunshop, Impact Guns). They are all willing to take my order, but don't have any idea when I'll get a Kimber product. One guy told me that if he could get a steady supply of Kimbers (1911s, Solos, and rifles), he would have done a year's worth of business by May. But...he's in the same boat as everyone else--he is getting nothing from Kimber.

I recognize I could take my chances on Gunbroker or some other auction site, which I have done for a Rem 700 SPS and the like, but I'd like to at least see a LA Montana and a Solo in real life before making a purchasing decision.

Are any of you gunwriters "in the know" as to what's going on with Kimber?

Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wade, Kimber is a little Co. that specializes in pistols but also makes rifles. This is a fairly typical time-line for a Kimber rifle launch.

I've been given a bit of behind the door access to the 84L project over the last 5 years, so if you think you're a bit anxious to get your mitts on one, you can imagine how I feel... laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I talked to the Kimber guys at the Safari Club convention. The big problem is that they're way backed-up on orders for handguns, so only make rifles in their spare time. They even dropped the .22 rifle completely, for that very reason.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would bet you won't see either firearm till next year 2012. Maybe a trickle of rifles at the end of the year.

In the meantime Kimber will market and advertise them to create and maintain a built up demand.

This is normal for them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think Kimbers product line is way over their production capacity. They keep adding to the handgun and rifle line with probably little or no additional machining. There were nib Solos selling for over $1K on gun auction sites. List is $600.

I just hope they don't let quality suffer inorder to get product out the door.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
look at Perkiomen Gunworks, they have 26 Kimber handguns in stock at my last viewing.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never really understood why they made so many different models of a 1911. I spoke with a guy last year who works for them and he said they were about 6 months behind filling handgun orders at that time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
To get the Kimber I wanted I just had to tell the guys behind the counter to order it for me. That was a long 7 days, but worth it. But then again, I never expected to see a 338 Fed on the shelves in central Texas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gave up waiting on them to come out, ended up going to Weatherby's Ultralight. I like them as well and I have em in my hands. Maybe they will get some out before the end of the year. crazy

Last edited by raybass; 06/17/11.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, it bugs me that they advertise a product for 2011 but know before hand that it'll be probably the END of 2011 before they can actually send the product out the door to the dealer. Don't advertise something you don't have...

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This isn't something new in the firearms industry--or even any industry. Many companies announce new products and then delay production, even though they've already done the research and development, to see how many orders they get.

It's much more efficient to do it that way rather than to build, say, 20,000 .30-06's when there's only demand for 10,000.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ruger is famous for releasing new products that you will lucky to see on Dealer shelves a year after release dates.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Yeah, it bugs me that they advertise a product for 2011 but know before hand that it'll be probably the END of 2011 before they can actually send the product out the door to the dealer. Don't advertise something you don't have...

Just marketing, trying to keep you on a string to reel you in when the product hits the shelf to sway you from buying a competitors product in the meantime.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Huntz
Ruger is famous for releasing new products that you will lucky to see on Dealer shelves a year after release dates.

Ruger was famous for doing that. Hasn't been that way recently. I bought a Ruger SR 1911 within a month of the first time one appeared on the cover of a gun magazine. Likewise with the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, just about the time it was on the cover of "Shooting Illustrated" my local shop got one in.

Kimber should take some of that money they spend buying the back cover of every gun magazine, every month, and invest in increased production capacity.

A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Try Shedhorn Sports, Ennis, Montana. Shedhornsports.com. They have 55 Kimbers rifles and pistols in stock. It seems that Rob, the onwer, can aquire rifles, pistols, primers, powers and ammo when they are not available.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the tip, abc!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I called the Shedhorn yesterday and was told, for the third time since the first of year, that they don�t know any more than anyone else about when the 84L Montana will actually be available. CP.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Running at the limit of production.. what a problem for a company to have.

Of course if your waiting on a 84l.. its a problem.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntz

You must remember the XGI.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by abc
Try Shedhorn Sports, Ennis, Montana. Shedhornsports.com. They have 55 Kimbers rifles and pistols in stock. It seems that Rob, the onwer, can aquire rifles, pistols, primers, powers and ammo when they are not available.

I stopped in and talked to Rob on Monday... as CP mentioned, they have no idea on delivery.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.