Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Long range naa, short range is the way to go, and its harder to get that close. Try taking a deer right under the stand, you'll probably miss it with that long range rig that some pro-staffer talked you in to buying. Now I suspect that there is a place for long range hunting for expert shooters, you get good at what you practice. 111 deer ago I said to myself, Im starting to learn something here. About 300 yards is about max, for a sure killing shot, anything further should be avoided by all as wind plays a factor. A good military sniper can make a head shot at 400 yards, after that they dont care where they hit on the target as long as it is out of commition. Deer are different as you must execute a humane shot in a vital area. A good police chief would never allow a precision sniper shot on a bad guy beyound 100 yards to turn him off.
<br>
<br>Its nice to own a Beanfield rifle but be careful how you use it. i know one guy that watched a big buck at the edge of a field wishing he had a long range rifle to shoot 500 yards. So I walked the 500 yards and 50 yards more back in the woods, set up a tree stand and nailed the buck, at 20 yards under the stand, thats called hunting. On the other hand I have done a lot of long range shooting, at targets, thats why I don't shoot at deer that far away, targets don't run off and die wounded. Come to think of it I don't Bow hunt for the same reason.
<br>
<br>

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
John
<br>
<br>I'm sorry but, your post is certainly NOT very accurate and I see you have never been around longrange hunting or the accuracy we can achieve.
<br>
<br>I would suggest you go to a 1000 yard range and I invite you to come to the Williamsport, PA 1000 yard club. We have over 200 competitors every two weeks at our matches.
<br>
<br>Watch how many 4" to 8"---ten shot groups are fired that day IN THE WIND at our mountain top range. Then go home and check your computer ballistics program and run the 220 to 240 gr Sierra MK bullets out to 1000 plus yards.
<br>You will find that many of the calibers used will have more energy left at 1000 yards then a 30/06 does at the muzzle.
<br>By the way, the World record ten shot group at 1000 yards is 3.151" and the 5 shot 1000 yard record is 1.500" at 1000 yards. I don't believe you have ever been around that kind of accuracy?
<br>
<br>After doing that, then come back and tell us it can't be done.
<br>
<br>100 deer????????
<br>Many of us old timers have killed a lot more deer then that.
<br>Add another 20 elk to the figures too.
<br>As far as tree stands, I know all about them as, I'm also a bow hunter.
<br>
<br>If a person has NEVER seen or done something, they can't possibly comment on it accuratly. They are only guessing and commenting on what they THINK can or can't be done.
<br>
<br>We have done Longrange hunting for years and have been VERY successful at it.---Trust me.
<br>
<br>There's a Longrange video out by Keenvision Video that shows about 11 or 12 deer kills out to 1150 Yards that you really should see. It lasts about an hour and cost $24.95. If your interested, here is the Email address to purchase one. keenvisionvideo@suscom.net
<br>It will make a believer out of you or anyone else for that matter.
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,
<br>
<br>Ya know it never fails, you go through all this BS and still after hundreds of posts you have a guy who obvioulsy never read all of the previous posts. And if he did he obvioulsy didn't understand.
<br>Not sure what Counter Sniping has to do with hunting. Your even wrong about the sniping issues both Military and LE.
<br>You call yourself a hunter after you "stole" another guys buck ???? You didn't do a damn thing to earn that buck. You buddy did 95% of the work. THAT AIN"T HUNTING.
<br>
<br>How in the hell can you call that hunting????
<br>
<br>Killing 100 deer doesn't make you a hunter either.
<br>
<br>If you we my friend or hunting buddy and I told you a story about a buck I saw and then you went and shot it... you wouldn't be a friend or a hunting buddy anymore and you'd need dental work.
<br>
<br>unfreakingbelievable.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Ric and Darryl....You guy's sure have a way with word's...Both of you are tring to explain thing's that are way over some people's head's.But I have to commend you for keeping after it...Some people are just too thick headed to learn new thing's..You know the (I CAN'T DO IT SO YOU CAN'T EITHER....)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John,
<br>
<br>If hunting is getting close why did you put up a tree stand? Why not just sneak up on the deer on the ground? The point here is you still "ambushed" the deer, only you did it within your shooting ability. No different then a guy who is fully capable of "ambushing" said animal at much longer distances. The only difference I see is that the "Long Range" hunter has spent more time then you perfecting their skills.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry guys. I made a post above and all can see I put my name to it "Don" but Dave's handle is on it. Dave uses my computer to make posts on this site because since the software update he can't post with his system. I didn't check before I entered my post that Dave's handle was active.
<br>
<br>Sorry for any confusion.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.