Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Browning made another straight pull called the Acera. As I recall it was available in 30/06 and 300 Win Mag. I think it was only available for a few years, and did not sell well.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
Browning made another straight pull called the Acera. As I recall it was available in 30/06 and 300 Win Mag. I think it was only available for a few years, and did not sell well.
Bfly

Bfly...

"Acera" was the name I was trying to come up with in my post on page One..

For some reason, I thought it was "Cierra"..

I guess that is an example of how "forgettable" Browning's straight pull rifle design was. grin

Last edited by jim62; 06/11/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Jim,

The Acera was not so bad but Browning did'nt push the concept enough. Be assurerd that the idea of straight pull rifle with interchangeable barrel is always there, in Browning designers brain. Could be ressurected some day because of the euro market for such type of rifles.

Here some pictures of the Merkel Helix RX, the straigh pull rifle the Acera could have been, if BW Int had followed it's designer..

The Merkel does'nt offer the long magnum receiver(H&H type cartridges)the Blaser has, but it's lighter than R8, 2,9kg real, weighed on my scale with wood stock. Will be offered in 222, 223, 243, 6,5x55, 270, 7x64, 308,30-06, 8mm Mauser, 9,3x62 and 7Rem Mag, 300WinMag, 338WinMag. Future calibers in study are 375 Ruger, 9,3x64 and 8x68S. I had the chance to use one Merkel Helix RX in 30-06 in Portugal to take red deer stalking and one in 9,3x62 to get red deer and wild boar during driven hunt. They are fast and effective but a bit expensive at 2900 euros wood standard version, same as Blaser93 but less than R8.
Barrel, bolt head and magazine are all you need to have another rifle. It's very well appreciated in Sweden where hunters are limited to 6 rifles but it's the receiver that count, not the barrel. In that country R93 and R8 are best sellers mostly synthetics because of weather.
Dom
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As you all know I shoot a Blaser R-93, as far as the transition goes, I think it was done in 6 shots or so. The Blaser is the most practical rifle I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch over the years. From 22RF to 416 Remington if you want. From Grey Squirrels to Elephants. Never mind about ease of transport.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I am curious how a turn-bolt shooter does with a straight-pull. Is it a problem to get over trying to lift the bolt? (I tend to be a very slow learner when it comes to adjusting habits.)

i haven't had a problem with them. The K31 schmidt is a masterpiece. Try sub m.o.a. with a surplus military rifle. The germans at one point mounted optics on them and sold them as sniper weapons. The swiss ammo is considered to be by some as match grade.
I also have the earlier carbine version and the long rifle.
I think they are fully in a class with the swedish and the finnish mosin.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Merkel Helix is maybe the most recent construction of them all. In tests it is found to be more quicker to load than Blaser R8 or the older R93.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RoninPhx,

I've mostly shot my K31 with Swiss military ammo. It's so accurate I haven't bothered doing much handloading!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
RoninPhx,

I've mostly shot my K31 with Swiss military ammo. It's so accurate I haven't bothered doing much handloading!

they are just really neat rifles. I have the st pierre base on the right side, and being left handed it works for me. brass is from starline and sierra bullets. the fire control group has to be seen to believed. If there is a negative it could only be from the hob nail boots kicking the butstock, and the black grease they used to clean the barrel with and for lubrication, but easy to cleanup. I have a case of the ammo set aside. It is in a black laquered cardboard box, and typically swiss in perfection. I think you could dump it a lake and come back a month later and the ammo inside would be okay. the steyr 91/30 is a little short cutdown guy. Main attraction is the big fat bullet. A few years ago ammo was available for sale for it in the original boxes in stripper clips marked 1938 with the german eagle and waffen marks. Worked like a charm too.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62
... Also, I think Browning did a straight pull centerfire bolt called the Cierra for a few years..

Browning Acera.

Acera http://www.google.fr/search?q=browning+acera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Additional comment: I wrote this message while on page one, but when I reached page 3, I realized it was redundant...

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
One more European design from the original Blaser R 93 designer Strasser RS 05.

The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts made the Titanic.
IC B3

That is a beautiful rifle. thank you for posting the picture.

Originally Posted by Marseille

Lee 1895 6mm Navy and its hunting versions, Steyr 1895 military rifle, Ross, and others. Here you have a not well known Finnish straight pull the Lynx94. The hunting model here possess stock that was designed by a french stock maker friend of mine to follow french, german and other european hunters.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmsemel
As you all know I shoot a Blaser R-93, as far as the transition goes, I think it was done in 6 shots or so. The Blaser is the most practical rifle I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch over the years. From 22RF to 416 Remington if you want. From Grey Squirrels to Elephants. Never mind about ease of transport.

I agree with that.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Not a hunting rifle by design but sure works as a squirrel gun and not too shabby in a prone .22 match: An Anschutz 1827 Biathlon rifle with a Fortner Straight pull bolt. Thumb on the rear of the bolt, finger on the trigger (about two ounces or so), fire, rotate the hand up catching the toggle, case ejects, push forward with thumb, new cartridge chambers. Repeat. Very fast if you want it to be.
[Linked Image]

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.