Here's a good story. I bought this in about 1975. Would bury a .177 peleet in a 3/4" plywood as well as 5 BB's. Anyways, working out of town in 1984 I had a skunk problem. So I pumped it up to 18 or 20 pumps, knowing that 12 was the max. suggested. So I went to shoot the skunk and it went chnuck, just the spring noise. So I thought that I had broke something. Took it home and put it in the basement. Along about 1991, I decide to see what I had broke. Took it apart and found a cylinder with a plunger. Hit the plunger on the bench a couple times and nothing happened. Asuumed that this was not a working part. Put the gun back together.About six months later, decided to try again to find out what I had broke. Looking closer @ how the mechanism worked, I again tried to depress that plunger. Didn't work. Hit it on the benck,no go, tapped with a hammer, no go. put it back together, figuring that I had to call the manufacturer. Finally, one day gave it a try. Took it apart and hit the plunger harder with a hammer, no go. Then I gave it a good whack. Pop it went. So basically, that steel cylander mech. held that compressed air for almost 10 years. The hammer spring was not strong enough to realease all of the air pressure. Toady, it works fine, up to 14 pumps. Something can be said for Benjamin machineing for that period.