Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Now that the draw results are out for most states, it is time to get psyched about antelope hunts (except not for me, as I did not draw.) Each year it seems like there is a photo gallery thread on antelope that helps people judge trophy caliber, so it is time to start one for this year. For people new to antelope hunting, they can be tricky to judge because the distances are long and counting points doesn't really help all that much (they all seem to be western count 2-points.)

This is the buck my son shot last year, and I think it is a very representative example. It does not quite go 15", but has everything one typically looks for in a nice antelope. And although I have done very few mounts over the years, I decided to have this one done because quite frankly I am not sure how much more big game hunting he is likely to be doing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At any rate, that goat has the features most people look for: strong prongs, nice shape, ivory tips, not busted up, symmetry (aside from slightly different prong heights). Lots of us harbor dreams of a 16+" 85 pt buck, but this buck is a more realistic example. Quick way to judge is make sure the prongs are above the ears and the horns don't taper off too soon above the prongs.

So let's get a bunch of others up to get the juices going for this fall.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got me flowing utah708!

Heck, when it comes to NA game I'm really lost. Only thing I know is the one your son took looks like a big one to me and if I were in a position and you said shoot, I'd shoot at it in a flash (don't know if I'd hit it though), but regardless, I bet you were equally as proud.

It would be great to see many more pronghorns please. Please remember to add what you will be looking for in a good representative/trophy.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is the only one I have on the computer, I will try to get some more of the ones we have taken. He is 16" and goes low mid 80's.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SLM; 06/26/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I killed this guy in the Texas panhandle last fall. He is under 75" and just a drop under 14

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one I decided wasn't big enough for the first day.

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My first and only antelope to date (2010, Utah). Not a huge buck, but a good representative for the unit and has some character. One of the funnest hunts I've ever been on!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

81 3/8 green

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mtmiller; 06/26/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
GREAT THREAD! I'm going on my first speed goat hunt at the end of August! Can't wait.

v/r
Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some nice looking antelope....never shoot a large one and haven't hunted them for 20yrs but they are a neat looking trophy.

Took this picture out in Wyoming a few years back out. He was out there about 500yds...not sure if he'd make the grade (I thought he was about 14") but looked like a nice one to me.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's another from a different trip. At first glance, you noticed him in the herd but he's probably very average by most trophy standards....maybe 12"?

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great bucks, nice cutters on several of 'em!

Miller, excellent live pics, that is a nice buck for sure!

GW, I would agree, right around 12" but has nice potential.

The one I got last year was funky, stovepipe horns with weak diggers way at the top. 14 7/8" dried and scored roughly 78".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope he didn't winterkill.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 06/26/11.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Awesome pics mtmiller. Beautiful goat.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tough to score unless one finds a bunch of them together so he can compare. In those instances, the big ones really stand out. Last hunt I was on the wife had about 200 head walking right at her. In near panic mode, she picked out a good one, but certainly could have done better if she had had 10 minutes to size them up.

Look for good long prongs emerging will above the ears, length, mass for as much length as possible and well curved tips since one measures around the outside of the curve. Height is not everything, as I have seen some 17 inch pronghorn that can not make book. Best to go 2 or 3 days early with some good glass and spend a bunch of time sizing up potential targets.

Every one is unique, and given their colors and variety, they all make fine wall hangers.

Here's a couple the wife got some pictures off. Of the the two, I'd take the left one as the mass goes higher. Neither though is a bang up trophy. Good luck out there.

\ [Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 06/26/11.

1Minute
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]
heres my "once in a lifetime"
he busts 86 by a smidge

Last edited by ravenr; 06/26/11.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a hell of a goat! Congrats! What state?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks 1minute, that explains a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
You got me flowing utah708!

Heck, when it comes to NA game I'm really lost. Only thing I know is the one your son took looks like a big one to me and if I were in a position and you said shoot, I'd shoot at it in a flash (don't know if I'd hit it though), but regardless, I bet you were equally as proud.

It would be great to see many more pronghorns please. Please remember to add what you will be looking for in a good representative/trophy.

depends on the hunter, last time i was after them i had my eyes on half a trophy, on side appeared busted off just below where the prong would have been but the other side was, well really damn impressive, had he had both sides intact he would have been a one hell of a trophy in anyones book......even busted he was cool enough i put two separate sneaks on him but someone showing up in a pickup at the wrong time spooked him....

you also seem to have a better chance of finding a just bizarre individual than with deer.....they may not score very high but some ppl like shooting the weirdest looking one they can find....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
excellent thread. I am going after my first antelope this september.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always liked this one.
This photo comes up on the web from time to time.
Said to be from somewhere in NM.
The size of the body on this one is noteworthy.

[Linked Image]

One more that is worthy of a look.
Listed as Troy Adams, Montana.

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
this one is just a hair over 14" on one side and a hair under on the other, with pretty good mass (scored 79" IIRC)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
this one is quite tall (15.5" on the one side) but thin, which really effects the number score (I didn't actually measure, so can't relay a number)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think all of them are pretty cool, and I've accumulated a collection over time

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x134/utahlefty/Hunting/DSC00823.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.