-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It all depends on how you have to pack it out. Regardless, skinning first will get the meat cool much faster than just gutting. If you look at a gutted elk, you'll see that most of the meat still isn't exposed to the air.
If you're going to pack out whole quarters, bone in, then gutless won't save you anything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"If you're going to pack out whole quarters, bone in, then gutless won't save you anything."

Not true, you won't be hauling spine, neck, or ribs. In addition,if you are in a CWD area, there is little chance of severing the spine and coming into contact with CWD bearing areas

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...bet this guy wishes he went gutless;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0E8DcNm1Fs

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
"If you're going to pack out whole quarters, bone in, then gutless won't save you anything."

Not true, you won't be hauling spine, neck, or ribs. In addition,if you are in a CWD area, there is little chance of severing the spine and coming into contact with CWD bearing areas

I'm referring to WHOLE quarters, where the guy splits the spine and leaves the entire neck on a front quarter. I don't think too many hunters do it that way any more but when I was a kid, we'd see it all the time. In those days, though, a lot more hunters had horses.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The biggest push to do gutless in Colorado was brought on by the CWD conditions.I pack with mules,but still use the gutless method. Not bringing out the rib cage makes packing front quarters so much easier. Cows and smaller bulls may be packed out on one animal.

I have split a lot of elk with two hand axes or a saw and beleive me, that is alot of work compared to filleting meat off the spine.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/27/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The biggest push to do gutless in Colorado was brought on by the CWD conditions.I pack with mules,but still use the gutless method. Not bringing out the rib cage makes packing front quarters so much easier. Cows and smaller bulls may be packed out on one animal.

I have split a lot of elk with two hand axes or a saw and beleive me, that is alot of work compared to filleting meat off the spine.

Ours usually come out on our backs. Less is better.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So far, CWD hasn't been found in Idaho that I've heard of...subject to change.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by matthunter
Order Field Care of Big Game Video from here:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...ticle&articles_id=23&issue_id=12

matthunter

That and a bunch of others are available as downloads.

Here:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=multimedia.main

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've used gutless on moose many times and would never want to try it any other way.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 10 years ago, my partner shot a bull moose that went down on it's belly between 2 big boulders. There was no way he and his son could move it in any way. We'd been experimenting with the best ways to gutless dress at that time. We'd done 2 moose and a couple elk before that so he knew the general game plan. He started at the spine and skinned & boned his way down. He had to sit on it's back as he worked because it was wedged so tight between the rocks he couldn't get his feet on the ground. It took him about 6 hrs altogether. It was about as nasty a job as I've heard of.

Then I read an article by Jim Zumbo. He shot an elk in really nasty brush. He said it took him 3 hrs just to turn it over to start dressing it. What a waste of time. If he'd done it gutless, he'd have been done before he even started.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zumbo might be a decent cook... Not to sure about his real world hunting ablities? He seems to go on a lot of decent hunts and doesn't do much better than a fair number of public land hunters here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
our grandfathers i bet never did this " gutless" method. probably because they weren't " gutless " people who do this are urban wusses who don't want blood and guts on there fancy 500 $ hunting outfits. real men roll up there sleaves and get bloody. my 2 pennies

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Oh boy...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i get bloody !
but when it comes to getting an elk off a mountain side quite aways from a road, chocked with oak brush.

it comes out in pieces, and now we're gonna go boned out to boot !

we usta just quarter it and haul out whole legs with bones, and as much meat as we could cut off the rest of it.

getting too heavy now as the years go by and the age sets in.

but i guess i am just an old wusse !

brains over brawn......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bluegillman
my 2 pennies

Keep your pennies. They have no value. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
getting tired of finding elk carcasses with 15-50 pounds of edible meat left to rot ! this year i will have my gps with me and will report to fish and game. if you arent man enough to take the whole animal home than don't hunt. also sick of people boning out muleys and bringing out a little kid backpack full of meat and not even having the head or evidence of sex. ( idaho ) my pennies may have no value but i am a sportsman and use ALL of the animal i harvest.

Last edited by bluegillman; 06/29/11.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess you crack the bones and get the marrow out too.
With the high incidence of CWD in certain areas of Colorado, the DOW reccomends the gutless method. Besides the spine,brain matter, neck lymph nodes needs to be avoided also. If you care to come to Colorado and eat these have at it.
Ignorance is not excuse for being stupid.The wussies just might know tad more than you.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I leave a lot of bones in the woods. I don't leave much for the coyotes, crows, or yellowjackets except the guts and blood.

I don't like the gutless method, and yes I do know how to do it. I can filet anything, including an elk, which is all the gutless method is.

The reasons I don't use it are:

Elk are heavy and no matter which method you use you have to move them around. Removing guts drops their weight by 35% or more.

Guts come in handy for an attractant. In an area with lots of yellowjackets rolling the guts away from the beast keeps most of them well fed, happy, and not around you to sting you.

Rolling the guts out of an elk takes a few minutes tops so any time or effort savings you think you're getting are small in proportion to the extra effort leaving them in will cause you. Clearly your milage will vary as it seems like there is almost a cult like following behind this "new" method of dismemberment...:)

I've taken elk apart alone more than a few times. It's a two hour process and I end up with bags of clean meat with very few bones in it.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Keep your pennies. They have no value. wink

I dunno, that's pretty cheap, for a trolling motor.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bluegillman
getting tired of finding elk carcasses with 15-50 pounds of edible meat left to rot ! this year i will have my gps with me and will report to fish and game. if you arent man enough to take the whole animal home than don't hunt. also sick of people boning out muleys and bringing out a little kid backpack full of meat and not even having the head or evidence of sex. ( idaho ) my pennies may have no value but i am a sportsman and use ALL of the animal i harvest.

Until now we've had a pretty good discussion here about the pros and cons of gutless dressing. We don't need this kind of crap. Boning in the field says nothing about wasting meat. You can waste just as much at home.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.