Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
super T Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I just got an Rem.870 with an 181/2" barrel for home defense. Is 00 the best shot size choice or does it really matter much at very short range?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
at short range i do not believe the shot size matters as to its lethality. a bigger concern is over penatration and what is going to stop it.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have to agree, size shot at indoor ranges will basically be traveling as one big ball of lead. More important to me is to shoot 2 3/4 shells. That way if I am nervous and short stroke the 870, there is less likely hood of a jam than if I was shooting 3 inch shells.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Federal makes a 12 ga. Personal Defense load that is 1 1/4 oz. of 2 shot. PD12-2. Works for me in my 870.

μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For use inside a house what more does one need than a one ounce target load of 7�s? Like DaddyRat said, at less than 20 feet the shot charge is still traveling as a fist-sized cloud of lead. Less recoil than a magnum buckshot load also means less recovery time for a second shot if needed too. Outside the house, and things change.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
While birdshot doesn't give up efficiency at short distance, it also appears less lethal and more civilized in the eyes of a court's jury... whistle

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto on #7 1/2; that's my home defense and practice load. Outside (largely at the lease) and as you indicated, things do change. In that case it's 2 3/4" of #3 buckshot. Good point regarding the use of 2 3/4" as opposed to 3", gnoahhh. I figure I'm good for anything I might encounter, unless a T-Rex shows up. eek

Happy 4th. to All.

D
D
I understand the issues with overpenetrations but........... 00 buck will put em' down, 7's not so much. In regards to juries, I'm lucky. I live in arkansas. While we have our share of yankee and california immigrants most people here are pretty level headed when it comes to crime and the issue of self-defence.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Before you trust your life to birdshot, look at some penetration tests, like this one:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Informative link and some revealing tests. Thank you very much for the heads-up.

Best Regards

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For serious social purposes, it is wise to choose an effective round, made for the purpose. You cannot shoot someone "kindly." It is highly unlikely that the jury's decision will come down to what you used. Whether your actions were reasonable and in accordance with your state laws WILL be the issue. Shoot only if you or another person is in immediate danger of serious bodily injury or death. Shoot to stop the aggressor's illegal, life threatening actions.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No special loads in my 12 gauge 870 Express - 3 inch #4 Winchester Supreme Turkey Loads.

If it will stop a pit bull and a pit bull/Doberman mix that were ripping up my bird dog in the yard, it will stop an intruder in my home.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's all well and good, and this debate will undoubtedly stretch into the next century. I'll stick with a target load of 7�'s indoors because the aforementioned reasons of faster follow-up shots, if necessary, allowed for by less recoil. Attenuated muzzle blast provided by a magnum in close quarters is not to be overlooked also.

So what if none of my shot completely penetrates an attacker's torso? He is going to be one sick sunuvabitch if not altogether down for the count. In addition, if the gun/load will be employed by a household member who is not fond of guns and shooting, instilling a level of proficiency in them through practice with the defense gun will be worlds easier with "mild" target loads. Use of those same loads by that person in a self defense situation will have a much more telling effect than a magnum load delivered by someone shaking from fright and squeezing their eyes shut in anticipation of the recoil and muzzle blast.

In short, in a tense do-or-die situation I'll go with controlability over extra force. Better to hit him square in the face or chest with a target load than to come close with a magnum turkey or buckshot load.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would agree that this debate could go ad infintum and shot size is not a one size fits all.

When it comes to "controllablity", I feel confident with my turkey loads as you do with 7 1/2 target loads. They both should take us to the same place.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shooter42
at short range i do not believe the shot size matters as to its lethality. a bigger concern is over penatration and what is going to stop it.

Same for me. I have my 870 loaded with 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz. 6's for inside the house. Upclose they are all I need and lose most of their momentum after going through two pieces of drywall to be quite a bit safer than 00.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And on the litigation front. "shot him with a target or hunting load" does sound better that "shot him with his Tactical home/self defense load". One sounds like you grabbed what you had, while the other sounds like you "planned" to kill someone.

Although, the last thing on my mind with a Bogey in my house is outside opinion or what looks better. If all else fails and it takes one of the Samburu spears from the downstairs wall to stop the threat, so be it. Time for "how it looks" when they are incapacitated and the "authorities" arrive. If it is the coroner or the ambulance makes no difference as long as my family is all in one piece. If I felt it was necessary for escalated force than there should be no doubt that it was the case to a jury. I am not one to shoot without overwhelming justification.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
7-1/2's at point blank range in a house is going to get the job done. I agree no need for hot loads you want light recoil and fast follow up if needed. A lot of guys think (in their minds anyways) that they are tough guys and can handle any recoil. The difference is handling it and being in control of it. Ok you can handle it but you sure are not in control of it. Second is what if it isn't you behind the gun? What if it is the wife or kids? Personally I want the easiest gun for anyone in the house to be able to handle. Cause if I am home I am more then likely going to use the baseball bat and if I feel I need a gun the 1911 will be at my side. Of course I live in a non Castle law state. So I have to call 911 and while on the phone with them yell at the intruder that the police are on their way, I have a gun and if you come any closer I will have to shoot you, I said don't move! Bang. Well he wouldn't listen and he was right there a step away from my wife so I had to shoot. All of which is recorded on the 911 call so my azz is covered.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I would not use any pellet size smaller than #6's and #4's would be better. Inside a home it doesn't have to be a magnum load, a good field load of 1 1/8 ounces would get it done.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I lost track of where we equated "buckshot" with "magnum" but all the "tactical" 00 buck I have is 2 3/4" shells and doesn't strike me as having more of a kick than target loads.

S
super T Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Rufus, you've convinced me. Buckshot is better, but it looks like heavy bird shot wouldn't do a bad guy any good if that's all you had. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.