Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Early on this board we had a wonderful discussion on the misuse of the word "weapon." Lots of folks chimed in defending the word and claiming it was their right to call their firearms weapons.
<br>
<br>The OED does not agree with that view and frankly it is a term I don't care for. It is needlessly aggressive, on top of being fundamentaly and literally wrong.
<br>
<br>On several posts on the initial LR thread, the term "neutralize" in reference to a deer or elk was used. Sorry, but that term really sucks to my sensitive ear. Here's why. Hunters are under a bunch of pressure on a lot of fronts to prove that we are not barbarous camoflaged louts with hunch backs, sloping foreheads and a double-wide parked in a maze of parted-out pintos.
<br>
<br>Everything we do that looks bad will be noticed. Turning hunting into a military excercise, complete with targets to be neutralized, will not sway anyone to our point of view.
<br>
<br>Not that they don't already have their minds made up, mind you, but coming at them like something out of Soldier of Fortune will scare the hell out of them.
<br>
<br>The sad part, to my way of thinking, is that the phrase appears to be used to soften the term kill... why? If you want to be direct about every other full-frontal attack on your 2nd Amendment rights, yet shrink back from the appropriate use of the word kill.
<br>
<br>I don't get it. Any body else offended by the term, or am I just a bleeding-heart?
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The term neutralize with reference to hunting seems overly callus. I'm not really offended by the term although its use generally is aligned with a military operation. Yes, Sitka you are just a big softy. Thanks for the oryx it was DEEELISH and not at all hard to chew:).pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bleed with you Sitka. I don't care for all the Capt. Midnight, para-military terms that seem to be the rage nowdays when applied to hunting. If we miss a shot and hit a tree are we to call that collateral damage? Maybe those terms are used because the users there of think they are in a war with game animals or are frustrated because they can't sign up with the foreign legion or something. Maybe it is because too many people have forgotten or never learned that if you want to eat beef steak you have to KILL cattle. All this nicey-poo, sanitized language gripes my constitution. Plain old Anglo-Saxon works fine to convey the thought and always has.
<br> BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When I did my stint to get certification as an NRA instructor. The one thing they empahsized most is not using the word weapon. Always use firearm, gun, rifle, weapons are used in war, firearms, rifles guns,are used in hunting and competition.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
kill......killl.......Kill.....Killll....KIll......KIlll......KILL.....KILLLLL.........ahhhhh, I think I've got it now.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think sometimes we try TOO hard to please the otherside and are definitions can get misconstrued. Good post.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
One of the most striking language things that caught my and my spouse's ear when we moved to TX 14 years ago was that here, people don't "shoot" deer......they "kill" deer. Where I grew up, the common question and answer was "Did you shoot any deer?" "Ya, I shot two deer." Here in TX, it's "Did you kill any deer? "Ya, I killed two deer."
<br>
<br>When I asked one of my friends, his comment was:
<br>
<br>I've never thought about it before but I reckon you shoot guns and kill deer.......right?
<br>

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Does this have anything to do with Poke and Hope shots, or sound shots ( I thought I heard something, so I shot at the noise)

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THIS IS MY WEAPON.THIS IS MY GUN.THIS ONE'S FOR KILLIN.THIS ONE'S FOR FUN.Can't you guy's find anything more important to gripe about.Grow up!!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Boyd:
<br>
<br>Guess you have developed a thin skin lately. Try a smile every now and then.
<br>
<br>BTW, as Sitka Deer correctly pointed out in an earlier thread, and as the little ditty you quoted above refers to, weapon is not a correct usage as applied to a sporting firearm. Weapon specifically refers to arms used in combat. True, it is not going to end civilization as we know it if we misuse a term, but, for someone who deals in accuracy, I would think you would like to be accurate in your speech as well as your shooting. Same thing as calling a magazine a clip, etc.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No I don't have a thin skin.It was meant as a joke.O.K. HOW'S THIS.SPORTING WEAPON.....

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Boyd
<br>I had appreciated the way you handled the debate on the long range thread and had given you some credit for it. I knew you were right, you knew you were right and you played the cards you were dealt in a very deliberate, mature manner.
<br>
<br>However, when confronted with a simple truth, where you could expand your knowledge base, maybe look at how you look to others and improve, this answer is the best you could come up with?
<br>
<br>I don't care how folks look at you for you, but rather on how you reflect on me and mine doing what I live to do. We are unfortunately stuck with you for spokesman everytime you open your mouth in public, or type a public reply.
<br>
<br>You, Sir, are an ass.
<br>best to you,
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was very good.One other thing don't EVER call me sir.I like ass better.....Have a nice day......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot believe that the word "neutralize" is an issue... I know these forums tend to be a place for people to hear themselves talk but common... you guys are upset over the word "neutralize"... Maybe Boyd has a law enforcement background, and that is a word he is familiar with. I have a law enforcement background and neutralize is a very accepted word for KILL. Granted it is used with a slightly different meaning but .... Many people talk many different ways... You ALL knew what he meant and you understood what he meant..... Why BITCH about the word he used... I'd much rather hear you bitch about how unethical he is at least with that you can have a debate...... sheeesh.... and I thought congress was bad....
<br>
<br>
<br>hhmmm maybe I'll go back and pick apart what sitka deer said.... hmmm
<br>
<br>"sensitive ear".... "well slap me in the ass and call me done"...... sensitive... we are talking about hunting here gentalmen the usually desired outcome of a hunting trip is to actually KILL and animal... "oh my" you mean taking the life of an animal... I can't bare the thought of it...
<br>
<br>Sway someone to our way of thinking.. there is no need to... let the facts speak for themselves huntng is needed as a managment tool.... let the tree huggers watch bambi starve to death. That will speak volumes....
<br>
<br>Hell I don't think they even read these forums and so what if they do....
<br>
<br>Accept the fact we hunt and "usually" Kill an animal at some point... accept the fact there are different ways to say kill...
<br>
<br>here's a thought Sitka Deer... You obioulsy think there are alot of people out there that are here to beat us down, demoralize us, ban hunting etc. well the last thing we need is a conflict from within over ONE freakin' word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW........I could'nt have said that any better if I was you.(Big Smile)

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
WyoWhisper
<br>You make several good points about eliminating conflicts. If you noticed, I said I had no problem with the word kill. The dictionary has a problem with the use of the word neutralize to mean kill. I was simply trying to make the point that language such as that is counter-productive to hunters' image. There is no point in hunters arguing over the word for the simple reasons that it is wrong, it is militaristic, it is overtly aggressive and those alone should keep people from using it, eliminating any kind of argument.
<br>
<br>And don't get caught up in the word militaristic as though I have said something to offend servicemen and women... my father was an AF col. and my brother is one. The point is that in the hunters' sphere it is inappropriate.
<br>
<br>As far as picking apart what I have to say... have at it. If I fail to use the right word and either fail to make my point clear or offend, I would happily change it or clarify.
<br>
<br>You would be surprised at the lengths the fund raisers for the antis will go for a sound byte for their newsletters.
<br>
<br>best to you
<br>art

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Eliminate, OH NO HERE WE GO AGAIN. !!!!!!
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OBLITERATE!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok.. counterproductive..... I have it up to my A$$ with political correctness.... I live in a state where we don't worry so much about mr tight underware and miss panties up her crack.....and how they will be made to feel if I offer my opinion...
<br>so forgive me if I sound brash....
<br> If we go around worrying about who we "sound" bad to we'll forget to concentrate on our goal. The right to keep and bear arms...
<br>
<br>Tip over, anchor, pile drive, hammered, whacked, slammed, punched, poked, shot, grounded,clobbered, nailed, neutralized, WHATEVER... it all means killed...
<br>
<br>common fellas...... seriously.... all because of the word neutralized.............
<br>
<br>I don't always agree with what people say on here or how they say it , Even the way some of my friends say stuff on these boards, but I can accept the fact people say things differently... I KNOW WAHT THEY MEAN OR MEANT TO SAY .. I got their point.. I understand what they are trying to communicate...
<br>We all are not from the same town here.. hell wea re probobly from different countries here...
<br>
<br>lighten up.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here I come to save the day.Hi Ric..The reason I think that SOME people try to find SOMETHING wrong with EVERYTHING is because they gripe about one thing.Someone come's in tell's them how it is.They realize they don't have a clue why they are in an uproar so they move on to something else.I get very tired of people away's putting down the way we do thing's.There will alway's be someone tring to make something out of nothing.ALWAY'S......Later..... Boyd....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 71 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.