Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Now anybody on this forum have any of those Weatherby Big Bore Rifles? I am seriously contemplating using a Wby rifle to make myself a .500 A-Square out of, using a 600 grain bullet. I will change out the stock and go with a good laminated stock reinforced, keep the Weatherby stock for looks only. The gunsmith will also ream out that barrel and rechamber for the .500 A2 caliber. Also install express sights, cut barrel to 24 inches and port barrel.

I still must air some things out, like a big claw extractor and if one can put a 3 position safety on this rifle. Now the big problem may be the "Control Round Fed" action and putting a drop box in the stock and look proper.

Last edited by Tonk; 06/29/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have a weatherby mk v that i am making a .500a2 on. still in the process of building. i got the drop magazine directly from weatherby and it adds one round to the capacity. the action itself is a push feed with a plunger ejector. i was able to get the original gun cheap so i bought it as it was left handed and i wanted it. just a thought though. there is a 495 a2 i beleive it is called. it is a 50 but the barrel won't have that nasty number on it which might make it illegal to own at some point.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am not familiar with .500 A-Square. I gather is is based on .460 Wby.

If having the long extractor were a major factor, then I would look at CZ 550 magnum actions to see if they are big enough for the .500 A-Square. The CZ comes in .416 Rigby, which I think is about as big a case as .460 Wby. Again, I do not know, but would not be surprised if an extra deep magazine setup is available for CZ 550. A three-position safety is probably available, too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
http://www.hunting-rifles.com/Rifles/Dangerous%20Game/danger_game1.htm these guys already catalog CZ550 in .500 A-Square. I has the 3-position safety. Appears to have a fairly deep magazine, and they may have options, there.

They offer a few other .50 cals. .505 Gibbs, .500 Jeffry. They offer some bigger ones, too .577, .585, and .600.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Tonk
Now anybody on this forum have any of those Weatherby Big Bore Rifles? I am seriously contemplating using a Wby rifle to make myself a .500 A-Square out of, using a 600 grain bullet. I will change out the stock and go with a good laminated stock reinforced, keep the Weatherby stock for looks only. The gunsmith will also ream out that barrel and rechamber for the .500 A2 caliber. Also install express sights, cut barrel to 24 inches and port barrel.

I still must air some things out, like a big claw extractor and if one can put a 3 position safety on this rifle. Now the big problem may be the "Control Round Fed" action and putting a drop box in the stock and look proper.

Couple of points Tonk
1. The .460 Will push 600 grain bullets at very fast speeds (2450 fps+)and offer superior BC and SD if you like that sort of thing.

My loads:

600gn Barnes RN
120gn AR 2213 2346
122gn AR 2213 2389
118gn IMR 4831 2392
120gn IMR 4831 2453 8019 Warm Load
114gn IMR 4350 2418
116gn IMR 4350 2460 8064

2. Brass and components are commonly available

3. The Jap versions ("H" serial numbers) fitted with the Pendleton Dekicker are the best.

4. Extended magazine is available from Weatherby.

5. The Mark V is not the same as most "push feed" actions because it feeds single column, which is infinitely more reliable than staggered magazines.

I would recommend a standard Mark V in .460. With lighter bullets, it has .30/06 trajectory and you can hunt deer with it. I do.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go .460 weatherby. It will be plenty, I guarentee that. Not to mention, everything will be readily available and the .460 is certainly a world of fun!

If you ask me, that is the only one of the big weatherby's that uses the full potential(weight) of the big Mark V action/rifle.

Matt

Last edited by Big8; 06/30/11.

MK
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Big8
Go .460 weatherby. It will be plenty, I guarentee that. Not to mention, everything will be readily available and the .460 is certainly a world of fun!

If you ask me, that is the only one of the big weatherby's that uses the full potential(weight) of the big Mark V action/rifle.

Matt

What you say is correct, but lets remember that the Mark V action was designed specifically for the .460 and .378 Weatherby cartridges so it naturally is a good fit and effective design.

The Action and .460 cartridge were both released in 1958. The .378 was around since 1953.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am a claw extractor guy of the first order - pre-64 Model 70s, Mausers, etc. - but I've also had a number of Mark Vs in various calibers (although none in the .378 or .460), enough to comment on the reliability and feeding of the action. These feed really slick is my final grade, and I would not hesitate to use one for a dangerous game rifle.

I also like the rocker safety. It is easy to push off with a natural forward motion (much better IMO that M70s or their ilk), and physically blocks the striker with the safety on.

The only downside in my estimation is the bolt stock, which is incorporated into the trigger mechanism. I have had one of these break, though the only trouble was that I could take the bolt out; I was still in business in being about to shuck the bolt and fire the rifle.

You might also have a gander at the older Champlin actions. Very similar in principle to the Weatherby, better bolt stop. Beautifully made.

When I'm in a headlock and forced to pick the best action for these type cartridges, I'd take the trouble to find an old Brevex Mauser.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Please don't waste your time on this thread. The originator is a fraud and a pathological liar:
Diary of a madman

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jorgie Boy,.....I certainly can asure you that I in person, am not s friggin Fraud! However You and JJ choose to resume this 11 year old pissing match from Hunt America, go right ahead flyboy. I been known to go the distance gents, so don't be looking for my corner man to thrown in the towel. It is not going to happen boys. Now all this bull crap about You and JJ rendering a medical opinion as to my health is by large, one asinine statement! Now when did you get your medical degree Jorgie Boy! Where did you do your intern work?...NO WHERE.

At least I have what I say I do in guns and I am a 24carat UNION MAN for 35 years. Now JJ you just ask your Boss, what I said to him the very first night he asked Willem and I to help kill a leopard on his farm. Now when Saeeds name came up, about him NOT wanting me to hunt leopard, the statement made by me was "FU@# SAEED and his band of PLO suporters!!! Your right JJ, You don't know Jack Crap because you were never there at that hunt during the entire time.

I am a devout AMERICAN & Veteran, did support the UAW. I will NEVER support the F&*^ Muslims, nor kiss their A$$ Jorgie, as you and JJ HACK seem to love to do. Now once more JJ HACK, I'll offer you your chance to come see me, I sure as hell won't go see YOU. Now YOU once stated that you were going to brake my jaw........Ummmmmm OK jj come right on over, I won't hold my breath though. I will however, extend the invitation to you JJ and Jorgie Boy. I'll let the both of you find out if this man is really all those things the both of you been claiming all these years I am not. You will find out soon enough, if this man from Missouri, who shot all those "FREE ANIMALS" (33 + 2 others wounded by others,) on that FREE HUNT and had to listen to all the Sand Fleas boring jokes and hidious laugh, can back up his words with his ability.

The ball in your court, you pair of Nitwit Liars.
JJ HACK you NEVER OWNED A BIG BORE RIFLE, UNTIL I TOLD YOU WHAT TO BUY (Model 70 Winchester in .458 magnum) YEARS AGO AND HOW TO SET THE DAMN GUN UP. So don't feed those in internet land more BS about what I don't know concerning hunting, guns/reloading. I been doing it since your diapers had $hit in them and mother had to change and wipe your little A$$.

I certainly did use several handles, while on the internet hunting forums in the 12 years, that I been posting to other hunters.
I don't see anyone on this forum, giving their real name, address or any other personal information. Who gives a Rats A$$, who I post under. I told the truth about my hunts and experiences. Now if anyone wants to go hunt with JJ Hack, remember the high fences and the herds of animals, like shooting fish in a barrel. Sure is no elk hunt in the Rocky Mountains JJ. Hell, it is no whitetail deer hunt in the Nebraska sand hills either.

Now Piss on the Arab and his AR site. He supports the PLO and they are Terrorists period. Anyone who believes he does not, has their head in the sand!!! Remember the TWIN TOWERS and all of those Americans, that lost their lives to terrorists from the middle east.

Once more JJ Hack, you got taken in by my posting! "Dancer" the Ozark Hillbilly from Missouri and Arkansas. You said NO ONE could ever put anything over on YOU and I certainly did so TWICE Mr. PH.........NOW cry in your beer once more, you chicken $hit dirtbag/SOB. Marshall Talbot, booted you off of Hunt America years ago for lying about him remember JJ. I took the heat and your arse and several others could not. I Mr.am a pillar of society in my community. Now come to my mountain the both of you and we shall see who can go the distance. Jorgie Boy, sorry to say, you would be no feather in anybodies hat. JJ now your a horse of a different color, come ride on over.

Now Jorgie Boy lets dream up some more of your medical fanstasies about me. Oh and you can stick that Troll thing up your rectum too. I am an Independant voter NOT a frigging REPUBLICAN so you know Jerk-Off. Bye boys leaving Tuesday!

Last edited by Tonk; 07/10/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorgie Boy,.....I certainly can asure you that I in person, am not s friggin Fraud!

As opposed to the internet where your fraud is legendary.

Apparently he can't make up his mind here...

I am an Independant voter NOT a frigging REPUBLICAN so you know Jerk-Off. Bye boys leaving Tuesday!

UNION FOREVER AND EVER.....VOTE DEMOCRATE NEXT ELECTION A$$WIPE!!

And from three days ago, must be he's still looking for a place in the mountains to fish for red snapper... smile

I am going on vacation to the mountains, so please don't be disappointed if I don't return your Bull $hit jibberish with a post of my own. Yall have fun now.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This guy has me confused with somebody, Don't know about The website he mentions, nor do I have any involvement with a character named "Dancer", not now not ever. He has routinely made claims of things I have done or said which have never happened, So I must assume he is confusing me with somebody else as he often does with reality and the truth.

It sounds as if he has an anger management issue and pulls me into a thread I am not involved with in any way. I can add that any perceived assistance he gets here is for his fantasy world as he has no money to build anything, nor does he have any to use anything he claims to build. His name is Mike Boyd he lives near St. Louis and has hunted with my safari company as the guest of Saeed Al Maktoom the owner of Accurate Reloading. He claimed to be dying and dreamed of Africa. Saeed felt sorry for the guy and invited him all expenses paid.

That was the biggest mistake an otherwise very educated and experience man (Saeed) could have made. Mike Boyd ruined the trip for everyone there with his absurd anti social rude uncouth uneducated behaviour.

He has used the names: Latigo, Dancer, Cody, Tonk, and many others as well

Carry on with the thread as I have nothing to add to the original post. Just know that anything you folks may add is a waste of bandwidth as the poster is by all definitions the apex of a troll on the internet.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rut-roh, his little yellow face online icon is on so stand by for a "rantmission". That cancer angle was about as low-life as you can get. And he apparently's still waiting for that mountain red snapper place...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow he pretended to be dying in order to get a free hunt?....

That is really disgusting, and way beyond low. What the hell kind of person would do something like that?....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike Boyd, You simply cannot recover from Karma like that

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I still must air some things out, like a big claw extractor

On a Mk.V action?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a fleeting thought...could Tonk be related to Polska?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh God that would be too priceless there....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just spent who knows how much time reading about a pinhead. The least you guys can do is post pics.

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
JJ HACK your a bigger Liar than Marshall Talbot led me to believe, yes indeed your arse was kicked off of Hunt America remember JJ!!!

Now I was NEVER SICK, yes Dancer was sick later on, the little guy you loved to hear about Pal. The Sand FLEA invited me on that damn Hunt because he wanted to get even for those things I said about the ARABS in the middle east and the friggin PLO terrorists groups while on his AR sight. I could care less that the camel jockey banned me from his internet play toy. He may be royalty to you JJ but not this Yank!!!

This hunt was to be but 3 animals and I would pay for the other 10 animals of my choice later. However, this never came about JJ Hackie, Who CRIED IN HIS BEER OVER DANCERS DEATH!!! The little Sand Flea from the desert wanted to be the man in control. Peter Harris would not accept my money for those 10 animals, (Saeed saw to that) I went to AR's man and told him: YOU broke our agreement and I am pissed about this happening. I was told once again to shoot what I wanted, so the safari of his could look good on the web sight. Those other hunters only hunted in ideal conditions and laid on their butts reading books in the rain etc. PH Willem Venture and I hunted, even though it was more like looking at farmers cows in the field.

So JJ Hack and the rest of the bandwagon go Piss Up A Rope!!! I sure hope things in the night don't bother you JJ.LOL
You JJ are just a worthless piece of $hit that plays hunter in his own circle.........I got a pot for you, if your tired of pissing out the window.LoL Now lets us hear some more of your lies please. You could not wear my jock strap. Now wipe your tears and have your mother tuck you in tonight.

I suppose after reading Pieters post, I must be a better hunter than you ever dreamed of hey JJ, never knew it was soooo tuff to hunt that wast land of a farm/ranch. JJ I got to tell you the food was not that great either....The ranch, farm and canned hunt, certainly didn't have much in the way of real trophy animals, has it gotten any better JJ? It still was like shooting Fish In A Barrel Folks!!! Cheer's bandwagon crew.

Last edited by Tonk; 07/11/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.