-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what is it that makes a macro a macro lens?

A true macro can at least render a 1 to 1 ratio. That is the image on the sensor or film will be the same size as the subject. Of course when we project or blow up that image it becomes huge.

It's a: Canon Macro lens - 100 mm - F/2.8 - Canon EF with image stabilization.

A benefit I've noticed is that one does not have to be in near physical contact with his subject. An issue back in my film days with my equipment was that I was so close to the subject that it was unavoidably shaded, and light was an issue. A ring flash, however, generates enough light for one to stop down and maximize depth of field.

They are great for snapping images of people too, as one can do quite well without getting into someones face.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/15/11.

1Minute
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
cool, thanks for the explaination. I did research that very lense yesterday and read a review at thedigitalpicture, they spoke very highly of this very same lens you have.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
a new bug.

very windy evening, best shot I could manage handholding the cam above my head.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi guys (Dave in particular!)

I hope I am not beating a dead horse too much here, but...

[Linked Image]

I found this video showing how to do insect macro photography by the guy who captures the nice images that I posted (Thomas Shahan). He uses pretty cheap equipment too!

He is truly an expert with duct tape -- and photography! smile

Colour me impressed -- you will be too! Trust me and set aside 7 minutes to watch this!

Double click this, then watch in full screen to get a better look than watching the small version within our webpage.

John

Last edited by jpb; 07/22/11. Reason: fingers fast, brain slower
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks very much John I'm going to let that load and come back to it in a bit so I can watch it.

Something clever here.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Dammit John!! now you've got me researching reverse lanse adaptors, ext rings etc.. Duck tape I have... but that's about all I've got going for me lol!!

Something clever here.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Dammit John!! now you've got me researching reverse lanse adaptors, ext rings etc.. Duck tape I have... but that's about all I've got going for me lol!!

Lots of bad influences here on the 'Fire! grin

The evil denizens here have me within a half inch of buying an expensive hand forged knife with Damascus blade (see my thread "Help me chose the material for my knife scales" thread HERE: I need another knife like a fish needs a bicycle!

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I found the movie when a student passed my office and noticed my screensaver (a 24 inch monitor filled by just the eyes of a spider!). He wanted to learn more, and I found the movie when trying to find the original site I found the still images on.

At least reversing rings and extension tubes are quite cheap though (no optics in them). smile

John

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I should just stop tossing these out here as my image quality is fair at best, but I thought this red dragon fly was pretty cool.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

I like it! Great colour contrast between the body and the background.

John

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nicely done!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I like my dragon flies (mostly because I see them storming the skies eating skeeters in the evenings grin ) but MrsND showed me once again yesterday why it's her camera, and not my camera grin

[Linked Image]

Oh, she also snapped this pic of a nice dragonfly that seemed attracted to her sandle strap colors. grin

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great detail!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I think she's got a bee fetish.

[Linked Image]

Probably because she knows I'm allergic to bees, that's why she likes them so much lol!

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This bee pic is wonderful!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oldies but goodies

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by srwshooter; 08/19/11.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the picture of the wasps.

They look like they are posing! smile

John

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
no kidding that's an awesome picture. They look very "stingy" though.. youch.

One from last night.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Dragonfly season is coming to an end but Pam managed this nice shot of a blue dragonfly eating a smaller bug on a railroad tie out at our deer camp on Saturday.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
One of the most amazing "nature show" I've ever witnessed involved dragonflies at Henry Coe State Park in California. We backpacked down into a dry valley that had a small running stream, with a large pool where we camped. I was filling water bottles from the pool when the dragonflies emerged from whereever they hide during the heat of the day. Must've been a dozen or so - some in colors that I'd never seen here in KY - and they were all skimming just above the surface of the water in a hypnotic, almost-dance-like pattern. I swear I think they were doing perfectly choreographed Figure 8s as they fed on smaller flying insects. Probably watched them for a half hour or so, until it started getting closed to dusk and all the dragonflies vanished as quickly as they'd arrived. It's then that the bats came out, and began flying those same aerial patterns. If ever I've wished I had a high-end camera, that was it.

"At the bottom of the pyramid, America is a ruthlessly punitive and accountability-obsessed society. At the top of the pyramid, it is endlessly forgiving. Before trust can be restored, accountability has to be established."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb
I really like the picture of the wasps.

They look like they are posing! smile

John

those wasps were nested under the lid of my lp gas tank,i went to check the amount used and they all turned to look at me. i went back to the house and got camera and raised the lid again,then on cue they all turned to stare at me just like before.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

136 members (280ACKIMP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 14 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,513
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.