Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Opinions...tips, suggetions?

I just snagged one in the most common .308 calibre. I thought it looked pretty sharp...any real life exerience from anyone?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep. Where do I start???? Want pics??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Yup...talk to me! I think it will be a fun rifle...email better for you or through this forum?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1.First thing is first: Make sure it has the upgraded firing pin since they had a recall back in 1991 due to some safety issues. They are very easy to replace yourself or you could just take it to a gunsmith.

2. Shoot factory stuff through it. If you reload don't run max loads in it (learned the hard way and cracked an extractor). My handloads consist of:
- full length sizing my brass
- 45 gr RE 15 powder
- cci 200 primers
- rem or winchester brass
- 150 gr. hornady sp flat base bullets

3. Bed the forend like this, it helps with accuracy:

[Linked Image]

4. Make sure your mags work properly, a bad mag will result in jamming and failure to feed problems.
5. Keep it clean and keep an eye on the piston that operates the gas system (if it is pitted you need to replace it).

Here's a few pics of how mines shoots:

This was before sight adjustment (3 shots) at 50 yards using factory irons:
[Linked Image] full magazine (4 shots) after drifting and adjusting sights:
[Linked Image]

And at 100 yards with a cheap simmons aetec which I don't have on there any more due to a tracking problem:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
These targets are not very typical of the accuracy of the model 100 but like I said, the bedding will help out greatly. 4 shots into less than 3/4" works for me grin Good enough for any pig or deer that walks this earth.
Lastly, I love my pre 64 model 100 and it works flawlessly as long as you follow what I've outlined. I'm sure there is a lot more I could add but I'm sure someone else will chime in. By the way post some pics of your new rifle if you can. Good luck with it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Yup...talk to me! I think it will be a fun rifle...email better for you or through this forum?

Your're right about it being a fun little rifle. I bought mine because I've always been intrigued by their appearance (especially the pre 64 with the cut checkering): They kind of remind me of my pre 64 model 70's except they are neat litte semi-auto rifles. This is the first semi-auto hunting rifle I've owned and it is very impressive to say the least. I never realized how much I'd acutally like shooting it but now it is turning into one of my favorite rifles. I'm sure you will enjoy yours very much.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This forum is great and there are many guys that know the ins and outs of the model 100 better than I do and I'm sure they will chime in as soon as they see your thread. Not a lot of guys that like these neat little rifles here but a few do grin.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's a good read on a thread I started almost 4 months ago if you are interested:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...y_winchester_model_100_users#Post5111723

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a Win Mod 88 lever in .308 to match my Sav 99's. Then I picked up a Win Mod 100 auto in .308 to match the Mod 88. One Win is pre 64, and one is post. Without going to the safe, I can't tell which. I have not shot the Mod 100 yet, but I have read lots of good things about how accurate that they are. It should be a great scoped piggy rifle. Good luck.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The very first deer rifle I bought in 1965 was a pre '64 model 100 in .284 caliber. It was really accurate with my handloads of 130 grain Speer and IMR-4350 powder, with which I killed my first and second longest range deer to date. Unfortunately, I traded it for something I thought I had to have back in the late '70s.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Joe
The very first deer rifle I bought in 1965 was a pre '64 model 100 in .284 caliber. It was really accurate with my handloads of 130 grain Speer and IMR-4350 powder, with which I killed my first and second longest range deer to date. Unfortunately, I traded it for something I thought I had to have back in the late '70s.

Unfortunately is right!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
At one time I had a 100 in 308, 243, and 284. I enjoyed shooting them, but the only one I regret getting rid of is the 284 simply because I love the caliber. But they are one of my favorite semi-autos, just really had no real need for them.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ive got the carbine in 308. Love it. Had some fits with it double tapping at the range. Had two smiths look at it with no luck. Had a trusted third look at it with still no improvement. Finally figured out it was the shooter. I was letting it bounce off my shoulder at the bench. Since then I adjusted my hold and no further problems. The gun shoots sub moa. Very accurate.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear
Ive got the carbine in 308. Love it. Had some fits with it double tapping at the range. Had two smiths look at it with no luck. Had a trusted third look at it with still no improvement. Finally figured out it was the shooter. I was letting it bounce off my shoulder at the bench. Since then I adjusted my hold and no further problems. The gun shoots sub moa. Very accurate.

Sounds like someone may have messed with the trigger a little bit too. One of the reasons I won't touch mine. I've heard some horror stories associated with someone stoning these triggers and making them unsafe, going from short burst to full auto eek

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
well...I find out the Model 100 I picked up will need the firing pin recall fix...called the 800 number for the recall and gave them the low down...1961 year of mfg., and NO record of the fix. I won't f**k around with a faulty firing pin mechanism...I will ship Winchester the dud and get the new one. There is a pretty good video on youtube on how to disassemble the whole thing.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
well...I find out the Model 100 I picked up will need the firing pin recall fix...called the 800 number for the recall and gave them the low down...1961 year of mfg., and NO record of the fix. I won't f**k around with a faulty firing pin mechanism...I will ship Winchester the dud and get the new one. There is a pretty good video on youtube on how to disassemble the whole thing.

Yep, I watched that video too. He's pretty good at showing how to break it down. It's a pretty simple operation to pull the pin and put the new one in. You called the 1-800 number that is the first step, now you can take it apart and send them the firing pin and the guide and they will send you a new one like in the thread I posted for you to look at. It usually takes about 2-3 weeks for the new one to arrive. They will even send you a $30.00 gift card which is pretty cool. Good luck with it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Also don't let the firing pin problem worry you. They are a great gun as long as that problem is fixed. Can you post a pic of your rifle so we can take a look at it??? Does it still have the original metal butt plate?? Mine was made in 1961 also and is a fairly low serial number gun (7,000). Someone put a recoil pad on mine which sucks because it takes a little away from the collectability of it thus reducing its value frown. Here's what mine looks like:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I will put some pictures up within the week. I will have a Campfire member refinish the stock for me as the laquer is flaking as happens some times. I know, I know...refinishing diminishes collectors value, but with the flaking, a lightly done quality refinish will only improve it's beauty...it's a shooter, a hunter...not safe queen! If you feller's ever need a really quality refinish, look up Campfire member "Karnis"...tell him I sent you!
Yes, the butt plate is original and it has the front sight hood...both things I wanted...many are missing the original front hood or have had stock altered for a pad...it didn't interest me if that had been done. My rifle is a 1961 in the 22,000 range.

Last edited by fatjack34; 07/12/11.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I will put some pictures up within the week. I will have a Campfire member refinish the stock for me as the laquer is flaking as happens some times. I know, I know...refinishing diminishes collectors value, but with the flaking, a lightly done quality refinish will only improve it's beauty...it's a shooter, a hunter...not safe queen! If you feller's ever need a really quality refinish, look up Campfire member "Karnis"...tell him I sent you!
Yes, the butt plate is original and it has the front sight hood...both things I wanted...many are missing the original front hood or have had stock altered for a pad...it didn't interest me if that had been done. My rifle is a 1961 in the 22,000 range.

Thanks for the info fatjack. You won't hurt the re-sale value of the rifle by too much but will have a much more appealing rifle when Karnis is done with it. I've seen his work and he is good at refinishing them (funny he was actually "drooling" over a pre 64 model 70 I refinished the other day). The model 100 is kind of an odd ball in that it's not as sought after as the model 70's and guys arn't nit picking every screw, nut, bolt, color of bluing, stock configuration, butt plate etc. etc.... What you have is a great hunting rifle and one that should be used. I actually like the model 100 (especially the pre-64 variant) and won't give it up for even what I paid for my last fwt pre 64 model 70 even though it is no where near as popular. Get your firing pin fixed have karnis refinish it and you'll have a beauty you can cherish and hunt the world over.

BSA MAGA
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Your're right about it being a fun little rifle. I bought mine because I've always been intrigued by their appearance (especially the pre 64 with the cut checkering): They kind of remind me of my pre 64 model 70's except they are neat litte semi-auto rifles. This is the first semi-auto hunting rifle I've owned and it is very impressive to say the least. I never realized how much I'd acutally like shooting it but now it is turning into one of my favorite rifles. I'm sure you will enjoy yours very much.

What he said

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Croldfort , Since you are matching Winchester Rifles , there is a third one with the same profile and heft of the 88 and 100 . It's the Model 490 .22 LR . As I understand it they were designed to be a practice rifle for owners of the 88 & 100 . Every time someone sees my 490 they mistake it for a 100 . There were only 32,000 made , in Canada , where most of them still reside . I have one in mint condition if you would like to complete your collection of those Winchesters . I'd bet there aren't very many People that have all three !

Last edited by oneoldsap; 07/13/11.

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.