Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
If you wish pm me your phone # and I'll talk you thru it.

Dober

The madness continues laugh

Talking to Dober about the Mashburn is like talking to the Apostle Paul about Christ... you'll likely come away converted grin

Brad, Dober is the cult leader, no question.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U sent one to Skane and he posted it for you

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh yeah!!! There it is! Thanks Dober!

I'd a never found it! grin

RD thanks to you, too! wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/16/11.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
[Linked Image]

Left to right:

1)7 Rem Mag case .....

2)300 Win Mag after a pass through Mashburn form and trim

3)Fully blownout Mashburn case (using COW method)

4)Loaded 7RM

5)Mashburn with 160 Nosler Partition.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/16/11.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Talking to Snowflake, another 7mm MSM user, and he pointed me toward an article on the 7mm Practical, which is essentially the same thing. So help me interpret what I'm reading here...
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Resources/Articles/The+7mm+Practical.++A+Practical+Magnum..html

If I'm reading this right, he formed the cases using a generic Hornady 7mm neck sizer with a 30 degree shoulder.
Then he used a 7mm Rem Mag seating die.
This is what I've been trying to figure out if I could do in order to make my rifle operational this year, not this coming winter.

Tell me if I'm way off base here thinking I could pull something like this off.

I've read through that before. The 7Practical looks like what we really are looking for since it is so easy to do. Allows the gunsmith to use 7RemMag go-no go gauges when chambering.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You can do that with the Mashburn too I believe... Any thoughts on just running .300 Win Mag brass through a 7 RUM or 7RSAUM sizer in order to form brass?

Sounds like at least two people are able to form brass by way of running .300 Win Mag brass straight into the 7mm Mashburn dies before fireforming. Gotta be gentle though.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That is exactly what I plan on doing.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RDFinn
[Linked Image]

Left to right:

1)7 Rem Mag case .....

2)300 Win Mag after a pass through Mashburn form and trim

3)Fully blownout Mashburn case (using COW method)

4)Loaded 7RM

5)Mashburn with 160 Nosler Partition.
Thanks BOB and RDFin. Makes me wish i had one. I will just have to be happy with my 270-300WBY

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now looking at these side by side pictures, the question of using the 7 Rem as backup ammo if all is lost in transit is answered. It can be done but is a not good idea except in case of emergency.

At the range one day a fellow had a mid-50's rifle that he had inherited from his Gfather. I asked what it was and he said 7 Magnum. I looked at the brass, he was shooting 7 Rem in a Mashburn chamber. I asked why and he said he could buy the shells locally and they worked. Accuracy wasn't stellar but in a pinch in the way backs with lost ammo/luggage.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is from Nathan Foster, the 7mm Practical guy when I asked him about using a RUM or RSAUM die to form cases:

Hi Mark, yes, you can use the 7mm Rum die but you will have to cut it back with a grinder and cut off disc (have done this before). The RSAUM die will work as well providing you have a long stroke press. If you want a generic neck die, the hornady �7mm Magnum Neck� is the correct die.

Before you go too far, check the body diameter of your reamer to make sure that you can use neck sized .300 Win Mag brass. If the body diameter of the Mashburn reamer is smaller than factory .300 Win mag brass, you will need to contact Hornady and have them make you a full length resizing die, they will also need the reamer measurements. Lonnie Hummel is the man to speak to, he is very good, makes excellent custom dies. It took me quite a while to obtain the ideal reamer body diameter for the Practical so that it would easily (and continually) utilize neck sized brass. If you find that the Mashburn reamer is going to be difficult to utilize, the 7mm Practical reamer can be obtained from PTG and is pretty inexpensive.

If you get stuck or are confused about any of the above, please get back in touch.

Cheers, Nathan.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mark and Bob could sell ice cream to Eskimos. grin

I really do like the Mashburn concept...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I think you are right, my brother has this old pushfeed Winchester 7mm Rem. Mag that he isn't using........nah I better not.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a reamer....... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I've got a reamer....... smile

For what? I am confused.... grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Little thing called a Mashburn, you may have heard of it. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh...OK...I thought you were leaning to the Practical, which was why I asked... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Mark and Bob could sell ice cream to Eskimos. grin

Oldelkhunter: I just report results.... smile

Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions. wink

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
At this point I really don't know where I'm leaning. May decide to can the supercharging for now and just go with the 7 Rem Mag as is, all these extra costs I'm looking at are eating into my hunting budget, and I've got a lot of hunts planned this year: numerous deer, elk and antelope hunts, plus a bear. Just not sure I want to spend more money reaming, tweaking the magazine and bolt stop (not necessary) and dropping major coinage on dies plus leaving the gun out of commission for a few months. Need conserve the gas money, and Wednesday is leftover tag day for Wyoming, plus I need to plunk down some horse rental fees now that my buddy with the horses has backed out of the backcountry hunt.

Things are adding up fast, might have to call her good as is. And I'm already sporting a 26" barrel, which should be good for over 2900 fps on those 175s.

Stuck in indecision mode right now.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.