Print Thread
Hop To
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Soooooo..... I just made an impulse buy. I'm excited but I don't even really know what I have as of yet. There was an auction today, one that I normally attend (quarterly), however I am out of town so I could not attend. I got a tip from a friend that there was a rifle there that I would love. It was on the auctions page as a CZ/Whitworth 7mm STW imported by Interarms of Alexandria, VA. It came in a grey synthetic stock (I do not know the brand) with "?airbrushed?" fern pattern camo. It has a matte black metal finish and includes a Leupold one piece base and rings. It was listed as "excellent condition" and my friend verified it as such.

In the end I bid on the rifle via the interenet and beat the floor bidders. I got it for $400 at hammer putting me at around $500 total. Don't know if it was a good deal or not and I am not really concerned with that fact. Sometimes I see something that I just have to buy so I do it. LOL!

I would like to know if this was ever a production rifle (in 7mm STW)? If not then I guess it is a production action the was rebarreled with a custom. Also, is there a difference between these CZ/Whitworth actions and the Interarms Mark X actions?

I am sure I will have some more questions as time goes since I will not get to put my hands on this rifle for at least another week. I am going to open this up for comments, let me know what you think. ( Unless you think I am a jerk for paying too much on an auctioned rifle that I have never seen. In that case keep it to yourself. LOL!)

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mark,

Just guessing here, but likely it is a 7mm Rem Mag that was merely rechambered... Very common when the STW was first publicized. Or it Could have been rebarreled.

As far as I am aware the Mark X was available in only 11 chamberings: .22/250 Rem; .243 Win, .25-06 rem; .270 Win; 7x57 Mauser; .308 Win; .30/06; 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win. (And, of course, .375 H&H and .458 Win).

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've never seen the Mark X marked CZ. It is made in the Czech Rebublic by Zastava not CZ nor BRNO. The Whitworths were a little nicer finished but still just a Mark X (not a bad thing, since this is the old FN commercial mauser tooling). The Mark X isn't a full magnum length mauser, but it was opened up a bit to feed the .375 H&H. This is what yours most likely started life as. Who know what the barrel is, or what the stock is. I would shoot it and see what it you got.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7STW was never a factory chambering from Interarms.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Figured as much guys. Thanks for backing up my my thoughts though. I am excited to get my hands on it and send some down range. I will go a little further on this post when I get it and I may have some more questions at that time. Thanks again.

(Maybe I will be able to elaborate on that "CZ" marking)

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's a stamp on the Mark X that'll pass for CZ. But I'd have to drag one out and look to describe it fully. And I ain't at least for now. An interesting note on chamberings; I've seen the .264 Win referenced in the ops manual but never seen or heard tell of a real one.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Fern pattern Camo sounds like an old B&C Carbelite Late 80s early 90s .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A CRF MAuser in 7STW.... Regarddless of the original maker, if it was done right I LIKE it! Quite a bit. For that price you could not have gone wrong. Congratulations.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've seen the Zastava stamp confused with CZ many times. They are definitely not the same

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Safariman, making me feel even better about the purchase. I've always thought the 7mm STW chambering to be somewhat interesting. That's why my friend contacted me and told me to bid on it. The next couple weeks should prove to be a good time. It always is when I get a new caliber in the stable.

Anyone have any STW ammo available? I would like to get my hands on some to run through this rifle before I decide to get all the reloading hardware. Perhaps I will post on the classifieds.

IC B3

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Here is the only pic I have.

[Linked Image]

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
YoHo! Got another!

[Linked Image]

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
26" barrel also.

Here is the exact auction description:

CZ Whitworth bolt action rifle. Cal. 7mm-STW. 26" bbl. SN A277***. Matte finish on metal, polymer camouflage stock in fall colors, nylon sling, one piece Leupold scope base and rings, no front or rear sights. Imported by Interarms Alexandria, VA.

Last edited by MarkFed; 07/13/11.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Did any of the Interarms models come with a 26" pipe? Really just trying to figure if it is a rebore, rechamber, or rebarrel?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grafs has the Nosler 7STW 160gr Accubond load in stock.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably a rebarreled 375 H&H Whitworth.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, ATC, 12 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.