Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Just curious...anyone use the plain ole 165gr Speer Hot Cor for elk? We know all about the super bullets, and as "regular" bullets go even the 165gr Hornady Interlock gets some good press here. But the other day I was loading some 165gr Speers for someone else's 30/06. He came to me saying his dad (who is up in age) came to him and decided to pass on his small collection. One of the pieces included what this guy called a, "Sears 30/06." Yep, a really sweet J.C. Higgins Model 50. Well, it was semi-rough after just sitting around somewhere for more than 20 years, but after I ran it through the ringer, it is really sweet again. His goal is to surprise his dad and take him to the range and show him the rifle in its sprused up stage. I figured the thing should shoot better than it ever did too, so I'm putting together a load for the guy.

Long story short, one of my recipes included the 165gr Speer. I've never hunted with this bullet, but I had some in-stock. I think I had planned to use them for a project that never panned out. Either way, looking at the loaded cartridge, it got me thinking. Maybe it's just the way it looked up against that old Higgins, but it just looked cool - nostalgic almost. Next I started thinking about combining the load with my old '68 - a Ruger #1 in 30/06 and chasing everything I'm likely to get a tag for down the road: javelina, mulies, Coues', and the occasional elk. The first three, not an issue. Elk though...

I don't look for shoulder shots, but sometimes that's what we get - plus other less than ideal angles. I'm just curious what the Campfire might have to share.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've killed a boat load of deer, coyotes, bobkitty's and hogs with the 165 Speer in one of my 30-06's. Out of 50 or more head of game I've recovered 1 bullet. It is the most picture perfect mushtoom I have ever recovered, out of 30 or so. I would shoot anything in NA with this bullet without hesitaion.

My load is the same ole IMR 4350 at 2700 or so out of a 22" barrel. Its a very accurate load in my Remmy 700.

Load it up with a stiff charge of IMR 4350 and go kill some schiz.

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot a potload of elk with Hotcores. I used a 270 for many years and used 150's in that. Now I'm using a 300 WSM. 180 gr. is my favorite feed for that one. I've found the Hotcores hold up and penetrate very well.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used the 7mm 160g Speer Grand Slam for 20 years. No problems on elk or deer. Took me that long to recover one and when I did it had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull.

Don't use them any longer as I switched to bullets that provide slightly better accuracy and higher BCs, mostly bonded core and mono-metal, but I still have some Grand Slams loaded and wouldn't hesitate to use them if that was all I had ready to go.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have tested them into wet newspaper and they were dismal. I would NOT hunt elk with them when there are so many better cheap bullets.

I have killed deer, bear and elk with 200 grain Hotcores and never had a bullet exit. They all made messes and all killed the animals. I am thinking that a 165 on an elk would work great in the ribs but hit anything else and you have a runner.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have to agree with Dennis.I think the 165's are a little light for elk. Those closer shots might prove to be a little too expansive. Probably ok for 200+ . The 180's just seem to fit the .06 ballistic profile for elk much better.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rock Chuck - I must have got ahold of a bad lot of 180 30 cal Hot Cors. I shot 4 bucks (WT) with 300 WM, vel 3000 fps. NONE closer than 180yds, longest 289 yds. Yes they killed the deer BUT were dismal failures. Core/jacket seperations every one. Only part of 1 exited. Bits and pieces of jacket & lead spewed.

That's on white tail deer from 170-195 lbs. I must agree with Dennis & saddlesore, I QUIT using them even on deer and would not consider using on elk.

I've read of others having good luck w/hot cors but I haven't. Don't know why.

I switched to Hornady 180 sp. and no regrets.

At low 06 vel they might do better but I would not want to experiment on an elk.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady 180 gr SP are what I'll try this year in the 06.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It might be a moot issue anyway. Speer has dropped the Hot Core line and has replaced it with Deep Curls. I have no idea how well they work. I have yet to try them and haven't heard from anyone else who has.

edited to add: Just checked Speer's website. The Hot Cores are still shown so I guess they're making both now. However, they don't show the 30 cal 180 gr. spitzer. Have they dropped the old standard?

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably load those Speers and see what happens. Then I'll see if I can get a 165gr Partition to print in the same spot for elk down the road. Should be fun and I get to shoot more. All else fails, maybe I'll just split the cost and load up something like the 165gr Accubond and call it good.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shoot 'em up, but elk hunting is no time to be experimenting with a sketchy bullet.

My '06 is currently set up for the 165 NBT/NAB, but if it were my main elk rifle I'd run a 180 Accubond or a 168 TTSX. Or ol' Faithful- 180 gn Partition.

Did kill a deer with the 180 Accubond. It was a bit of a test for the bullet; quartering-towards shot smashed the shoulder and exited the far flank after nuking tbe liver. Couldn't ask for better.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably load those Speers and see what happens. Then I'll see if I can get a 165gr Partition to print in the same spot for elk down the road. Should be fun and I get to shoot more. All else fails, maybe I'll just split the cost and load up something like the 165gr Accubond and call it good.

Take a good look at Speer's new line of Deep Curl bullets. In 30 cal., they have 150, 165, 170, and 180 gr. bullets. I haven't read much about their performance yet, but a little research should tell you what you need to know.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The 180's just seem to fit the .06 ballistic profile for elk much better.

What he said.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
15 grains difference in bullet weight between 165 and 180 grain bullets doesn't mean a whole lot when using the .30-06. No offense at all Saddle Sore. The 165 Speers are great bullets for elk in .308 and .30-06. I have killed several truck loads of elk with 150 grain Horndy soft points and 165 Nosler ballistic tips. The Speer hot cores aren't any softer than the above bullets. Neither bullet has left me wanting more for elk. I have killed them at 30 yards, out to 400 with said bullets. Most have busted shoulders. The .30-06 is VERY easy on cup and core bullets. I would use the Speers without a second thought. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well put Flinch. All this talk about the HC make me need to replinish my supply (before they're all gone).

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You can do much better...even sticking to C&C. Hornady comes to mind.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Without wishing to introduce a dog into this argument, I think that bullet weight has more relevance than just the 15 grains difference in weight. Along with that weight difference I think you find perhaps a little different bullet construction, since the bullet makers assume that the heavier bullets are going to be used on progressively bigger game and perhaps make the jackets a little thicker to slow expansion and hold together. I would suggest that it's more this difference in construction than the mere difference in 15 grains of weight that perhaps makes the heavier bullets a somewhat better choice for larger game. That being said, not all bullets are equal, so some bullets may be functional on bigger game at lighter weights. I would not necessarily construe this to hold true for all bullets in a lighter weight class.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Without wishing to introduce a dog into this argument, I think that bullet weight has more relevance than just the 15 grains difference in weight. Along with that weight difference I think you find perhaps a little different bullet construction, since the bullet makers assume that the heavier bullets are going to be used on progressively bigger game and perhaps make the jackets a little thicker to slow expansion and hold together. I would suggest that it's more this difference in construction than the mere difference in 15 grains of weight that perhaps makes the heavier bullets a somewhat better choice for larger game. That being said, not all bullets are equal, so some bullets may be functional on bigger game at lighter weights. I would not necessarily construe this to hold true for all bullets in a lighter weight class.

thats a valid point Ive loaded SPEER 200 grain bullets
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=103

for about 25 years in most of our elk hunt groups ammo for 30/06 rifles, and it has a great reputation,and has become a standard, load, in our camp, Ive seen the 165 grain used on mule deer and it works great, but theres not much in similarity in how the two expand, the 200 grain hot core has a noticeably more controlled expansion.
Im sure with correct shot placement either will kill elk ,but after seeing years of results I,d suggest the 200 grain speer with zero hesitation

Last edited by 340mag; 07/14/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.