Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just checking. I see Anschutz makes the action and barrel. Then the boys at Weatherby put a fancy stock on it.
Thanks.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have an Anschutz 1717 in .17 HMR. Little different action, probably the same barrel. I shot a three shot .2" groups at a hundred with CCI TNT's,(Speer bullet). It won't go but .8" or so with Hornady plastic tipped bullets.

I think the XXII would be equivalent. I had a Cooper LVT in .17 HMR. It was accurate, but I think the Anschutz would edge it, especially with the TNT's. Probably a wash with Hornady's.

Nice guns.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Just checking. I see Anschutz makes the action and barrel. Then the boys at Weatherby put a fancy stock on it.
Thanks.

You kind of overlooked the trigger guard.

The Weatherby version has a nicely illed trigger guard instead of the tin can bent steel POS that the factory Anschutz m64 rifles do.

IMHO the Weatherbys are a better value all around.

For basically the same price as the very plain and homely Anshutz m64 classics, you get a Weatherby style stock (which is made in the US) along with a better trigger guard.

You also get a REAL WORLD test target fired by a human with the metal IN the wooden stock. Anschutz plays games by clamping their barreled actions in a vice while shooting groups.

Last edited by jim62; 07/14/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks to all for replying.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigwhoop: A friend of mine here in SW Montana put one up for sale in the spring of 2,010. He had it on consignment at a small shop. It sold in less than a month.
I can not remember the price he was asking for it but again it sold relatively quickly.
I rather liked the looks and feel of that little Weatherby Mark XXII.
My friend claimed it was very accurate.
According to Weatherby's on line catalog they are still offering the Weatherby Mark XXII in 17 HMR - I have not seen another one since my friends sold so I think they are a somewhat rare arm.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The local Scheels store here has sold a pile of those in 17HMR and only a few less in 22LR. They are certainly not rare in these parts! grin I never did buy one, and while I agree they are nicely done, feel good in the hands, and natural pointers, at least for me, I could not deal with the Weatherby "Hollywood" styling, so took a pass. If they would see fit to offer a run of these in the "Classic" styling with maybe even an oil finish, I would be on them like stink on, well, you know what! grin It's a personal problem I guess.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the 1517 Anschutz 17 HMR and if it shoots anything like it then it is a winner.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I haven't shot the 17hummer, but I own the 22lr and love it. The most accurate 22 I've seen. Honest 0.5 inch at 50 yrds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't shot the 17hummer, but I own the 22lr and love it. The most accurate 22 I've seen. Honest 0.5 inch at 50 yrds.

With even mid priced 22lr loads, most Anschutz 64 or CZ rifles will do even better than that for five shots. Try some SK Standard Plus ammunition, and you might be pleasantly surprised. My base model CZ455 is averaging just under 3/8" with that ammunition. My Anschutz 54s are averaging around 1/4" with the same ammunition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want to see what you 22 will do purchase you some of the Wolfe match ammo, this stuff is amazingly accurate in every rifle i have tried it in.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
If you want to see what you 22 will do purchase you some of the Wolfe match ammo, this stuff is amazingly accurate in every rifle i have tried it in.

Maybe its me or my rifles ... but that wolf stuff does no better than CCI std vel in my rifles, but I still have 350 rounds of the stuff, so I'll keep plinking with it. Don't think I'll buy another brick .... maybe i'll try it in some 10/22's

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
One of the local "treatment centers" has a couple for sale. Probably will go in for another "cure".

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/17/11.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Has anyone ever owned one of these Anschutz 64 action rifles that would actually eject a fired case reliably? I've had 5 different brand new 1416's and MK XXII's 3 Anchutz and 2 Weatherby's and not one was 100% reliable in fact they weren't even close to reliable, a couple of the heavy barrel Anschutz rifles were very accurate though................Hillbilly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ejection is iffy on many Anschutz actions, including the 54 repeaters. It can be fixed quite easily with some filing on the extractor.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2870274&postcount=27

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Has anyone ever owned one of these Anschutz 64 action rifles that would actually eject a fired case reliably? I've had 5 different brand new 1416's and MK XXII's 3 Anchutz and 2 Weatherby's and not one was 100% reliable in fact they weren't even close to reliable, a couple of the heavy barrel Anschutz rifles were very accurate though................Hillbilly.

VAH..

Was it you or someone else who was talking about some steps posted on RFC to "tweek" the ejection of the Anschutz rifles to make it more positive?

I was wondering how that worked out..

Last edited by jim62; 07/17/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Twas I .... Still needs a little bit of work, BUT after my first work on the extractor I now have maybe one or two casings fail to clear the receiver out of 100 vs. one or two per magazine.

I have 4 new savage-anschutz magazines on the way. I plan on fitting them on Saturday at the range, I'll probably work on the extractor again while I'm fitting the magazines.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an Anschutz 64 action 22, and it ejects just fine. Didn't have to do any tweaking either. Extremely accurate doing bug holes at 50 yds with Win Power Points and American Eagle ammo. A little better with target grade stuff, but I can not afford to regularly shoot that stuff.

1Minute
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If I could get hold of an Anschutz 1416 heavy barrel that would actually function reliably, I think I may be finally be satisfied as the 1416's I have had in the past were very accurate, I also liked the feel of the gun and the action's were butter smooth...........Hillbilly.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,049 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.