Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Dess
This is for the lefty's out there. I'm looking in getting a new 30-06. I grew up using an Enfield .303 and I've shot more than my fair share of animals.

For those lefty's who have switched to a left handed rifle, was it worth the effort? Pros vs. Cons?

I learned on a right handed bolt rifle, but left handed rifles are a little tougher to find and compare.

Part of me thinks that since I'm not inclined to take iffy shots in the first place, a quick follow-up shot isn't that big of a deal. I do have a left handed Remington 870 that I love because I don't have empty shells ejecting in my face.

However, life is too short to use something that doesn't suit me.

I'm looking to spend around $600-700 on a rifle, and haven't even thought about optics......yet.
I'm a LH.. And I shoot RH rifles 99% of the time.. The two LH rifles I own feel really awkward to me...

Just my .02

I'm in the same boat. Probably going up chit creek too crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
I'm a LH.. And I shoot RH rifles 99% of the time.. The two LH rifles I own feel really awkward to me...

Just my .02

If you've been wearing your shoes on the wrong foot your whole life it'll feel awkward when you finally put them on the correct foot. grin

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add me to the list of shooters who got rid of all their right handed guns (except for my bench gun)
I'm even more lucky in that my GF also shoots lefty.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All my bolt guns are right handers. Over the years I tried to make the first shot count since I knew the follow up shot would be slow with a right hander in my left hand. I have often wondered about switching to a left hand bolt gun. If Winchester would just go ahead and make the Extreme Weather, Model 70 in a lefty version I would jump on it. Anyone have a clue if that might happen?

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes is feels right, no more shifting hands or reaching over. I found it real hard to bolt a new round in without taking the scope away from your eye. As much as I love the pre-64, I sold it to a bud and bought this. However my bud? Yep. he is a lefty too, says he'll never part with said Winchester. We both came out happy.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice rifle Barkoff.

NEVER GIVE UP
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I learned to shoot as a kid with RH bolt rifles - bought my first LH rifle about 5 years ago and I will never go back and would never think of buying a RH rifle again.

I too am disappointed we southpaws dont get all the choices from some of the choice manufacturers - but you can find great LH rifles out there in good all around calibers

Buy a LH rifle and start a new addiction!

Complain to all the rifle makers and maybe we will get some choices back - I would love if Sako started making the LH rifles again. Real Sako rifles not these Tikka things or whatever you call them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TXDOGDOC
I would love if Sako started making the LH rifles again. Real Sako rifles not these Tikka things or whatever you call them

+1

One of my rifles that I'm fondest of is a LH Sako 338 that I dropped into a McMillan stock. I love the feel and sound of the action... and accurate - it's a whole lot better than me but I've made some shots with it that have even surprised the you know what out of me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lefty...only own lefty bolts.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger #1. The ultimate lefty/righty rifle........I'm Righty, my son and grandson are lefties......

Last edited by John_Boy; 07/20/11.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have LH Sako in 25-06, 338WM and 375H&H - I love them all!!
Keep looking for more - would love to have a 270 or 300 Weatherby, they also made a 416 Rem for a while that I would love to get my hands on

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure do like that Number 1 but even that has a minor wrinkle for left handers.

The receiver is built up on the left side so when you try to push in a cartridge with your thumb it is more difficult, especially when you have to reach under a scope. A rightie can push it all the way home unimpeded.

Once again, southpaws get the short end of the stick. cry

Oh, well...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The only left handed gun I ever owned was a muzzleloader. I don't like the hammer popping a cap right at my nose. I now use an inline, so that one doesn't really count anymore. Left handed guns feel just as backward to me as to right handed shooters. Whatever you get used to I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.