Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am not actively searching just yet but I am seriously considering a buildup from a pre-64 action. So far cartridge wise I think a 270 winchester will fill the bill. I am looking for ideas though. This is thrown together but build idea so far:

Pre-64 action
Barrel: short shank #2 @ 23"?
McMillan Edge or Echols Legend w/edge tech
Bottom Metal (factory) or Non
Weight: 7.5 lbs. or less?

I also thought about just getting an FN Model 70 Featherweight and sticking it in an edge.
The 270 Winchester choice is not set in stone, I just don't need a magnum, want a 375 H&H but will probably go Whitworth. I'm curious if the build idea is sound, if not point me in the right direction.

Ideas, pictures, anything would help. Goal is the ultimate hunting rifle, as far as carry weight, shootability, reliability and accurate. Focus on elk size game and smaller.

FYI I have 0 experience at builds.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Little yellow slip in the mail box this evening tells me my rifle is waiting for me at the post office.

It's very similar to what you are thinking about. 1941 M70 with a 23" Rock #2 280Ack in an Edge. Don't recall what I asked the shank to be cut at? .75-1"? Factory bottom metal.

I'll post some pics after I pick it up.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not trying to be a smartass, but why not just buy a pre-64 Fwt in 270 and swap the stock?

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you considered getting a stock Featherweight pre-64 270 and dropping into a McMillan Edge stock? Friends and I have done it, less expensive than a rebarrel job and they will come out within your weight goal. JMHO

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did consider that, I also considered the problems that could stem from that. Will it shoot when done? If not then I would have a stock built for a featherweight barrel. That would be a shortcut though.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

IC B2

raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Short shank, tapers real quick then a slow taper the rest of the barrel length? Thats what I am thinking about. Yes I would love to see pics!

Last edited by raybass; 07/21/11.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
raybass: Building on a M70, you have to watch everything to avoid ending up with something heavier than you want it.

In 270 I would go with a #1 Krieger (which means CM,which does not bother me),or a "0" contour FW Brux for barrel. I spoke with Brux yesterday and if you are very specific they will contour a barrel the way you want.

On bottom metal I would look around and see what one piece aluminum units are available.....this knocks off ounces over a steel unit.

I have two back here,both on pre 64 actions.One has the original factory barrel,aluminum floorplate,and Compact Edge stock,Leupold base and rings,and weighs a bit under 7.5# with a 2.5-8 on board.

The other has a Krieger #1 CM finished at 22",aluminum BM,DD bases and rings,and a Brown precision Pound'r stock.With a 4X leupold it weighs 6.9#'s.

Lighter bases and rings would knock off some weight.

You could go with a slightly longer and heavier #2 contour,but will add a bit of weight.Depends how you want to roll.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Most pre 64's I've shot have done very well in the accuracy dept. Actually just shot one of mine today as well as my SC/FN fwt 308. I think you have the right idea though either way you go. Their both great choices and when put in a nice mcmillan stock very hard to beat. For the money, you'd probably be better off going with the new model 70. An ultimate shadow could be bought very reasonably also, these are basically a fwt in a duratouch stock.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was waiting for you to chime in Bob. I'm not totally against CM barrels, SS is my first choice but 7-7.5 lbs is my goal. I would like to stick with bottom metal as opposed to blind mag. Aluminum sounds like the way to go. Sounds like a factory barrel would get me there, but I do want this to be a shooter.

raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
bsa, I kinda have that Pre-64 bug. Its you fellas that caused this!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know, I'm sorry blush. Would it help if I showed pics of how well mine was shooting today? grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I would feel better if you did!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Raybass, have you considered the Extreme Weather? They are susposed to be shooters. I'll soon find out when I get mine grin

BSA MAGA
raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BobinNH, which one of yours balances better? I like the way the Weatherby U/L 06 I have balances right behind the action screw. Maybe just a tiny bit barrel heavy balanced kinda thing.

raybass Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I haven't, yet, I keep thinking about the shortcuts but wonder if I will be happy in the end. I need to look at one, I've seen none on this area yet. My original plan was to find a pre-64 featherweight 270, disassemble it and keep the original parts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I would feel better if you did!

OK, you asked for it:

Today with the pre 64, sorry I only shot a couple of groups to test some ammo I "straightened". I was experimenting with my new toy (brown precision little wiggler) grin. It was too windy today to do any real comparisons but managed to get this one right off the bat grin:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now here's how the new SC rifle did today with 2 different loads. I was curious as to how my pre 64 winchester model 100 load would work in my other 308's so I took the SC/FN fwt to try them out (It isn't very picky as you can see, these 2 loads I fired are 2 grains different in charge weight and it digested them both pretty well):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's a 5 shot group too (looks like 3 though).
Both right around 1 moa. The wind was howling off and on when I was out there. This rifle usually does better (around .75" 5 shot groups).

Now FN used to make a hell of a rifle with the oldstyle trigger akin to the pre 64 and here's proof. My FN PBR XP 300 wsm. This is a 10 shot group from this rifle and it looks like straightening the ammo did help with this one wind or not grin.
[Linked Image]

Don't get me wrong, fn still makes one hell of a nice rifle, but I still prefer the oldstyle trigger for its feel and simplicity (call me old fashioned I guess blush)

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Have you considered getting a stock Featherweight pre-64 270 and dropping into a McMillan Edge stock? Friends and I have done it, less expensive than a rebarrel job and they will come out within your weight goal. JMHO

Blackdog and CFVA are 100% correct.....I've built other custom rifles in other calibers....but in 270 or 30/06 figured out years ago it made no sense at all.There just isn't anything better than a pre 64 FW 270 or 30/06 on a McMillan,Brown or Bansner stock....

Balance? Like a shotgun...I have killed quite a few head of game from coyotes to deer while they were running flat out,with them.Most recently last fall.They handle like a wand.

Raybass if I found a pre 64 270 FW I would NOT tear it apart for components. You can't find, or build, anything better in that caliber.It's easily one of the best BG rifles, in that power range, ever made.....IMHO of course smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/21/11.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by BlackDog1

Blackdog and CFVA are 100% correct.....I've built other custom rifles in other calibers....but in 270 or 30/06 figured out years ago it made no sense at all.There just isn't anything better than a pre 64 FW 270 or 30/06 on a McMillan,Brown or Bansner stock....

Balance? Like a shotgun...I have killed quite a few head of game from coyotes to deer while they were running flat out,with them.Most recently last fall.They handle like a wand.

Raybass if I found a pre 64 270 FW I would NOT tear it apart for components. You can't find, or build, anything better in that caliber.It's easily one of the best BG rifles, in that power range, ever made.....IMHO of course smile

Very well said bob.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I haven't, yet, I keep thinking about the shortcuts but wonder if I will be happy in the end. I need to look at one, I've seen none on this area yet. My original plan was to find a pre-64 featherweight 270, disassemble it and keep the original parts.

Keep in mind the 270 fwt's demand much more money than the 30-06 fwt's since they made less of them. my most recent 30-06 fwt cost me $800.00 (you've seen the condition it's in) the 270 is going to bring twice that (if not more). If you are looking for one to just tear apart (and re-barrel to 270) the 30-06 would be a better candidate and they're easier to find too.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: I have seen enough of your groups on here fired with pre 64 barrels to be able to say that they mirror the results I have seen for years from those barrels.

Most of my custom barrels in 270 have been Kriegers and nicely accurate....but I am forced to admit that in many cases, I can't tell the difference between those and many pre 64's,in calibers from 220 Swift clear up through 375 H&H....the reason I no longer tear up pre 64's for custom rifles....I use the factory barrels and just slap 'em in a synthetic stock,until the factory barrels go;then replace with a Krieger (or a new Brux like I just ordered).

I am very impressed with the SC M70's,and if looking for a rifle like raybass wants today, would not hesitate to do the same things with a new FN M70 in 270 FW.....I would get a SS one though just for variety...swap out the heavy BM for something lighter,put it in a Compact Edge or Brown Pound'r, add Talley LW's,and rock on... wink

raybass,even though a bit different in stock styles, my two 270's are one and the same to me....the Brown stocked rifle is slightly lighter ( I stll have not found anything lighter or better than a Brown Pound'r in an after market stock),but in terms of results what one will do the other will do.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/21/11.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.