Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
COW_54 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everybody..

I've been searching for an affordable, workable .22 for the Gov't stimulus stash box and happily I just obtained a <VERY NICE> Marlin model 99 rifle today, and I have a few questions.

Never had one of these particular guns. (I DID have a model 39 Mountie way back when, and it was just AWESOME!)

This one is very very clean, about 95+% on the blueing, and only a small amount of normal wear and tear on the walnut stock.

Now this is the ORIGINAL model 99, no letters after, actually no serial # either, as this pre-dates the requirement. The barrel is marked "Marlin model 99 Automatic". Tube feeder, 22 or 22-1/2" barrel, pretty damn nice walnut stock, and a vintage 4x scope on top.

The Marlin website doesn't have anything useful on this 50 yr old squirrel asassinator, and about all I've been able to find is this was made from 1959-1961 and then evolved into the model 60 with the addition of a grooved receiver for easier scope mounting, and Marlin changed from real walnut stock to cheaper to produce beech or birch stock with dark stain...eeeewwww!!!

My questions basically are: is the take-down & disassembly the same as on the model 60? Anyone out there had or now has one of these? Did you like it? Is it as accurate as I think it might be? (The barrel seems to be a bit heavier/larger diameter than most seen in today's rifles.) Reliability? Does it prefer normal hi-velocity ammo or would it bother it any to use something like Quik-Shock, Velocitors or the Aguila super-hyper-goshdarn-fast stuff with just a hair under 200 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle?

I think I got a nice one, and welcome your input!! smile

COW_54

3 ammo cans filled...go figure!

Last edited by COW_54; 03/22/09.
GB1

C
COW_54 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Update:

Just started to clean up the stock this afternoon... didn't get the rag dirty, so apparently the wood wasn't all gunked up or anything like that, but a little plain old Liquid Gold sure did bring up the shine a couple of notches and made the grain-patterns in the walnut stand out!

I'm a happy camper, especially after finding the ONLY model 99 on GB has a buy-it-now price of $425.00 (I did pay a <bit> less than that)! smile

Now, I need to figure out how to properly disassemble it without screwing anything up and (most important) put it back together without having any parts left over. (My mechanical genius is at least equal to that of Red Green.) Then the next step will be a good internal cleaning and lube job, and soon as possible get it off to the range & see if it works like I hope it will.

IMHO, this is one really nice gun - the more I mess with this, the more I'm liking it - and hey, it's only 50 yrs old! Just about broken in, I'd say.....!!

COW_54

Government is not the solution... it's the PROBLEM!!

C
COW_54 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
One more piece of the puzzle is now in sight...

A few minutes ago I called Marlin customer service dept, and to my surprise, they are going to send me an owner's manual (no charge!) for this 50 yr old baby!

Marlin just impressed the livin' daylights out of me! smile

Anybody out there know anything about the model 99 ? ..

COW_54

Do not anger the dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had one. Tough trigger pull and rough to clean. Otherwise lot's of fun. I converted mine to clip feed usin Marlin parts and useed the tube to store extra ammo.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I still have the one I bought as a boy.
It had a Weaver 6x on it for 25 years.
Now it wears a Weaver Rimfire scope.

It is a tack driver. I have killed hundreds of crows, squirrels, rabbits, pigeons and rats with it. Back when they used to let you shoot at the city dump, a buddy and I would go over there after law school classes for some R&R and shoot rats at 75 and 100 yards, and further.

I bought a used Model 60 for spare parts, but have not needed them.
I use .22 snap caps to fire and leave in the chamber after any cleaning or shooting, to relax the fixing pin spring.

IC B2

C
COW_54 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm playing hookey from work next Friday to do a range trip smile

I've gotta get this thing sighted in and see if it shows any preference for a particular brand of ammo. This my first time buying a used gun at all, and I really want for it not to have any issues as I am liking it a lot so far as it goes (without having fired it yet).

Thanks for the comments!

COW_54

I really really need another ammo can!

B
B
Hi,

How's that Marlin 99 treatin' ya?

I'm wondering about one myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a modell 99 several years ago. Was the model 99 M1A.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had one as a youngster back when the stocks were still made of real walnut, probably early 60's or so. I was able to clean up the trigger somewhat. My brother still has that rifle. They are accurate and can often be found at a really good price. They'll shoot with a 10/22 Ruger and at a fraction of the cost.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As a helpful tip, those older Marlins will NOT feed most of the current Winchester bulk ammo, the nose is too blunt, and the feed ramp will NOT accomodate the flatter nose, same with the Winchester Power Point ammo. Don't even bother trying the stuff, period.

Federal bulk ammo does not suffer the same malady, and will probably feed okay. CCI MiniMags definitely will feed okay, and the Marlins like a snappy load like them. I'd skip Stingers and other hypervelocity stuff, too, they weren't made for it.

I've shot standard velocity ammo in mine a time or two, along with trying subsonic ammo, but they just aren't "zippy" enough to keep it working right.

Use the roundest-nose ammo you can find, high velocity, preferably, and it should run pretty well. Deviate from that, and expect it to choke and puke somewhat.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.