Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I may want to hunt the panhandle near the Montana line this fall. I have never been into this country and would appreciate any advice as to where I might hunt. I'll pull in a small travel trailer for camping.

I hear area 6 is a good bet. Any help is appreciated. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I don't think that Unit 6 touches the Montana border but it's close.

I've hunted for many years in Unit 6. There used to be lots of elk there but they're fewer now because of the wolves, but I don't want to discourage you, there are still elk there.

It's thick, about the most challenging elk hunting in the West, with the exception of Western Washington, Oregon, and the like. It's really thick. Lots of guys there still use model 94 30-30's because you often only shoot 20 to 50 yards. 100 yards can be a long shot in that Unit. There are places where you'll get a long shot but they're few and far between. Of the ~ 20 elk I've killed in that unit, 1 was over 70 yards.

Forget binoculars for the most part. If your scope won't go down to at least 4 or 5 power it's too big. Sneak through whatever trails you can find from sunup to sundown for a week and I'll give you good chances at seeing an elk. Don't spend too much time worrying about scent control because you'll be too sweaty for it to help and be prepared 100% of the time to throw lead into the brush under a hovering set of antlers at a moments notice.

Tree stands aren't much use for elk because they don't pattern during rifle season.

It can be done, and is done, but throw everything you know about western elk hunting out the window when you go to Idaho Unit 6.

Cross

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I hunt up in unit 1 and as stated very thick, steep and nasty
I have had some success with treestands but that was in archery season. The wolves have really taken a toll on the elk over there

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've bear hunted the panhandle many times. My advis is to be in the best physical condition of your life. I would suggest steroids and performance enhancing RX or all of the above. In all seriousness, It is the most physically demanding area I have hunted. I would also suggest a heavy, good penetrating, large diameter bullet in an effort to break him down as soon as possible. I have seen elk in good numbers so to speak in about every area I have hunted. I plan on elk hunting in there in a year or so.

Beautiful country, one of the most ejoyable places I have ever hunted. I envy your opportunity and enjoy your hunt.

Joseph

Joseph
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Unit 6 does not border Montana. I live here where you want to hunt and know pretty much every nook and cranny.

Units 4 and 7 do border Montana but I have run into far more elk further into Idaho away from the Montana line.

Be aware that lots of folks hunt this area and it is brushy and can be thick. The elk are there but did I mention that it can be thick and brushy? The brush! It isn't like hunting Colorado, Wyoming or most of Montana. Shots are either up close and rushed or cross canyon longrange.

If you need help Im right in the Wallace-Kellogg area. Oh BTW the elk are pretty vocal already behind my place.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Forget binoculars for the most part.

I have to disagree with this. Thick brush is where binos can really pay off if you use them right. They allow you to focus beyond the 1st layer of brush and actually see through it. While you can only see 10 yds with your eyes, the binos often allow you to see 20. It's not a matter of seeing distance. It's being able to 'unfocus' the cover nearest you and allow your eyes to focus on what's beyond it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have lived and worked out of St Maries/Calder and Avery..At one time,that was the honey hole of Idaho.Not anymore..There are still Elk there,but not like the old days...

My sons best friend who lives in Avery right now,was just here for three days and just left minutes ago and we talked Elk..His place,he likes out of Avery,is not in unit 6.....But there are Elk there and a "ton of hunters"....

Good luck.

Jayco

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
You didn't say if it was rifle or archery. Unit 6 can be good if you don;t mind other hunters or getting into the brush aways.
The elk can be vocal in sept. but sometimes you won't get the typical bugles , maybe just a grunt or groan, just enough to know there elk in the area. Most hunters I have encountered during archery season do no reply to a bugle with a grunt so I have taken elk by counting on that. You will get bugled in and will probably bugle others in but when you get a real bull going you will know it.
During general season I where orange just due to the other hunters and I know it doesn;t spook game as long as it is break up blaze, I have had elk look right at me in breakup blaze.
Buy a wolf tag if you can and help thin the pack while here.

Best of luck

Last edited by pointblank; 07/25/11.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I hunted the upper in of the ST Joe river drainage a couple of years ago , some of the most beautiful elk country on the planet. (South of 6 does boarder Montana.) Lots of wolves and lots of wolf problems. Did see a few elk and not many hunters after the first week. Lots and lots and lots of great country in that entire area.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hunted unit 7 several times...Used to be good, but as others have said, numbers are down...Hunted as far back in as I wanted to lug an elk out but now it isn't just the hunt pressure, it's a drop in numbers..

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hear you all about the wolves. My honey hole on the Fisher River is now almost devoid of deer and elk, but the wolves are there thick as ticks. mad

I realize 6 doesn't border MT, but it is close to Thompson Falls and not too far from Libby. I need to get into Libby for a day to check on my small house there.

I really appreciate the replies and wish you all good hunting this fall.

If anyone has a suggestion as to where in unit 6 to set up my camp and hunt out of, I'd also appreciate that. wink

I will be there the opener of the rifle regular season. Come have a beer or glass of several other choices, and we'll tell good lies. laugh

It sounds like good country for me to use my 12/12/30-06 drilling. I can carry it with the scope off in the thick stuff and also carry slugs in the shotgun chambers.

L2S

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
HAd a girlfriend from Libby a long time ago. Spent a lot of time up around there...Can't help you on the Idaho side that far north, but I hunted the Montana side a bit..

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You'll be able to set up south of Wallace on Moon Pass, the N fork St. Joe and maybe outside of Avery.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bruce,

I grew up in Kellogg and hunted all over the Panhandle area, I hunted a lot right up over the hill from Noxon at the head waters of Shoshone Creek and into the the Canton creek drainage. We used to camp at the bottom and drive up to the ridge and hunt our way down to camp and leave a vehicle to go back up. That is a good option if your not alone. If you are alone you have to pack everything up, not great. It has been 10 years or so since I lived in Idaho, so not sure what has transpired (wolf wise) since then but we used to pull several elk out of that area every season and some very nice (350+) bulls.
Good luck,
Bart

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I grew up in Kellogg

Ivy/Campbell/Lockhart/Smith's and a ton more.......Who are those guys grin

Logged and pulled green chain(Linfor) up there for years!

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys! I bring a 4-wheeler so I can take roads to the top with the truck and hunt down to the camp or 4-wheeler, then use it to go back up and get the truck, always staying on open existing roads. I don't know whether this is viable in that area, but is saves aging knees a lot.

This gives me somewhere to start, and I do want to thank everyone. wink

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Okay,I am going to stick my neck out here,just a little since I don't hunt up there anymore....If someone told me I had to hunt unit 6,I would say no,I want unit 7,but if it had to be and I didn't know a bunch about the area,I would focus on the brushy Calder area.

But if I had my way,It would be up the Joe, at least to Red Ives if not farther.Some of the best Elk country in Idaho..But,that's me and yes,I cut right of way out of Thompson Falls and the asbestos infected area around Libby, when the dam was built.

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad and Grampa worked on Libby dam.Luv2safari can help on the Idaho side but the Troy area I can.I'm sure it's much the same thick,thick.
BBJ

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Unit 6's boundary follows state hwy 3 up to the watershed divide between the coeur d'alene and st joe rivers, it follows that divide to moon pass, then south again along moon pass road to Avery, then west again on the st joe river road to fishook creek road.

On its northern eastern and southern sides it borders units 4, 7, 9, 10a and 8a. It also borders 5 and 3 but you arent concerned about those areas.

You have to understand unit 6 does not border montana at all. Unit's 4 and 7 do for the panhandle zone, unit 10 does border montana but its not huntable with the panhandle tag.

There are four passes that cross the ID/MT border, I90 into Wallace ID, a road from Pritchard ID to Thomspson Falls MT, a road from St Regis MT to gold creek and st joe river road and one from Superior MT to Red Ives ranger station on the st joe river.

The one from Thompson Falls to Pritchard is in unit 4, all the others are in unit 7. I90 to Wallace borders 4 and 7.

Now if you are deadset on hunting unti 6 the fastest and easiest way to get to it is I90 into Wallace. From there you need to decide where in unit 6 you want to hunt, its pretty big and covers alot of territory.

I hunted alot along moon pass road in both units 6 and 7, also hunted south of the st river road in the fishook creek area. All that area is steep, brushy and rugged. You will also find alot of closed roads to your four wheeler and very little trail maintenance.

Many roads were backfilled completely and seeded, while others are just simply neglected and quickly grow over with brush.

If you want to get into the elk you need to get back from the well traveled areas from 1 to 3 miles. It pretty much exclusively means on foot, since anything that a bike, four wheeler or truck is allowed is going to be hammered pretty hard.

I very highly suggest you get some topo maps ASAP and cross reference those with the Idaho state regs concerning boundaries and pick out some areas and start scouting.

Understand a panhandle elk tag is good for units 4, 6 and 7, so there is no need to limit yourself to unit 6. I have found that unit 4's terrain is ahem a little easier. It has more roads and trails, but also more hunter traffic.

Unit 6 moving west towards St Maries and Coeur d'Alene does get a little easier but also you run into more private property and houses. If you are familiar with the locals and boundaries you can score elk that go into these areas to escape hunter pressure.

Get some maps and start hitting the dirt, have several back up camp sites as the woods really fill up come october.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am much too far away to scout the area. It was my understanding that 6 has a better success ratio than other areas, so I thought I might just give it a try. As I mentioned, I realize it doesn't border MT, and I have traveled along the east and north boundary at times.

This will be an "explore/hunt" type tip, and all information is of great value to me. I don't know ANYONE there, so the private ground is out. I'll have to do my scouting as I hunt.

Also, how are deer populations in the area?

I'm not married to any particular unit in the Panhandle, so if somewhere else might be better, I'm open to go somewhere else. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.