Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Keep the cats inside. I like cats and indoor cats live longer and have much fewer health problems than outdoor cats.
I saw one report that said an outside cat has an average life of 2 years. An inside one averages 10 years. For a clawed indoor cat that scratches the furniture, it's more like 10 minutes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our cat that was given to us when we were Married started out as a barn cat, she has been an indoor cat since we got her. She is 16 years old now. shocked Dammit, I didn't realize cats lived this long. shocked

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
if it bothers the cat, spit chewing tobacco in it's mouth.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Rock chuck what kind is your fence charger? Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
3 or 4 years ago I was out antelope hunting and came across an electric wire hung up along side a 4 wire barbwire fence.

No idea if it was hot or not so I touched it real quick like and didn't get a shock. Cool, climbed on over with no issues. Hunted for a couple hours and came back to cross the fence. Got exactly halfway over the barbwire when all of a sudden....KAZZAM!

2 or 3 seconds of shockage until I managed to get my other leg over the barbwire and let go of the phuggin' wire. Why I grabbed the electric wire in the first place illudes me. Anyway thought I was gonna have a [bleep]' heart attack, took my breath away. Never will forget that as long as I live.
Told my dad about it and he said some old rancher was probably watching and hit the switch at just the right time.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I guess I would experiment.

Yeah, my initial thought also. However, there is a trust issue that would be tried for certain, and no woman who truly loves her felines would miss that fact. I'm sure kitty, kitty, kitty, and kitty, will all figure it out in due time, and won't be any worse for wear as a result.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Keep the cats inside. I like cats and indoor cats live longer and have much fewer health problems than outdoor cats.
I saw one report that said an outside cat has an average life of 2 years. An inside one averages 10 years. For a clawed indoor cat that scratches the furniture, it's more like 10 minutes.

I don't want 'em outside eatin schit I like to hunt....

I did put a cattle fence in a puddle the cows were drinking out of.....

I hope men don't go to hell for things little boys do!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
They spend most of thier time inside, happily. But they love to go out and play big bad huntercat for a few hours each day.

you sir, are surmising that having them live a long time is, to me, a GOOD thing. Of this I am not entirely sure.....

Does your wife have an email address?........I heard she makes a mean potato salad. grin Shucks, I won't make a peep.

Originally Posted by HawkI

I did put a cattle fence in a puddle the cows were drinking out of.....

I hope men don't go to hell for things little boys do!

I won't print what I did to creatures, brothers, and other worthy test subjects with electric fences when I was a kid. I, apparently, had poor conductivity which meant I didn't fully appreciate the suffering I inflicted on others. I sure don't want to remind the Omniscient of anything he may have forgotten.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 07/27/11.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread is AWESOME

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Told my dad about it and he said some old rancher was probably watching and hit the switch at just the right time.

No way in hell would I have passed up the opportunity if I saw somebody crossing an electric fence and I was able to turn it on. THats just common sence lol

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WildWest
Rock chuck what kind is your fence charger? Thanks
Parmak SE-4. It has a digital meter that shows the output. If it drops way down, you know you have a short so it's easy to monitor what's going on with the fence. It's supposed to be good for 50 miles but I don't use a fraction of that capacity. I just need something that a goat will understand and this sure fits the bill. I've heard it pop a nose from 10 yards away.
Before, I had a Parmak Horse Surround and it was useless for goats. They'd just lean over it. They can take a lot more juice than a horse.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
eek Likely would after the ninth time. Liklely they would get the message after a couple of times. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by huntsonora
This thread is AWESOME

No it's good but would be awesome with video!!!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know about a cat but it must really do something to a guy's bare bottom. This happened probably 65 years ago.

I had an uncle who would give my two older brothers a hard time and get them in trouble with my Dad. They decided to get even. They pounded some nails into the perimeter of the hole in the outhouse. Wired the nails up to the electric fence transformer in the barn. They waited until my uncle was sitting in the outhouse taking a dump with the door between his legs. Then my brother gave the signal to my other brother to hit the switch.

My uncle flew off the hole in the outhouse and almost ruined himself on the door between his legs. He chased my brothers up a tree and they couldn't come down for a few hours. laugh

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by huntsonora
This thread is AWESOME

No it's good but would be awesome with video!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Finally, something here that I know something about.

Never seen a fence charger kill a cat, and we've got some 500 to 1000+ acre unit boxes here. That's not to say if one of them had a weak heart that it couldn't be sent into shock, possibly killing them. Electric fence wires also put off a stray voltage that animals can detect from various distances away. If your cat is intelligent, it'll likely never "test" the wire. If he/she is a bit on the slow side, well, you know the saying: "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not an electric fence, but it is pretty funny and the chick is hot.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gawd, this cracked me up.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like to know what it is about a charged fence that some animals can detect. After they have some experience with it, a horse will seldom touch a hot one. Turn it off, though, and they'll be right into it. I've been told that the current generates ozone that they can smell, but I've never seen any info to substantiate it.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
On the show a thousand ways to die a guy peed on one and it killed him. I think under certin conditions it can kill anything,

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.