Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If it doesn't you could always up the voltage.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'd like to know what it is about a charged fence that some animals can detect. After they have some experience with it, a horse will seldom touch a hot one. Turn it off, though, and they'll be right into it. I've been told that the current generates ozone that they can smell, but I've never seen any info to substantiate it.

Horses use the long hairs on their muzzles. They still take a little hit, but not much.

On another note, old chargers from like 40 or 50 years ago would do serious damage and sometimes kill. These new ones take the amps out of the charge. Amps are what kills, not volts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to know a guy who bred horses. One morning he took his stallion out of it's stall and led it to the water tank. It had rained and the ground was muddy. As the horse came up to the tank, it brushed up against the hot wire. Dead horse.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've had stock tank water heaters short out and give a charge to the water. I've seen cattle and horse both be able to detect it without touching the water. Unplug it and they dive in.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
CFVA knows my younger brother.

I'd bet he'd have paid money to watch us trick that brother of mine into pissing on a 1000+ acre set-up, on a 10 acre field.... with the ground rod set about 6' deep (rigged to keep in one DAMNED mean Brangus bull).

Thinking on it, that incident might explain a lot about that brother of mine.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
CFVA knows my younger brother.

I'd bet he'd have paid money to watch us trick that brother of mine into pissing on a 1000+ acre set-up, on a 10 acre field.... with the ground rod set about 6' deep (rigged to keep in one DAMNED mean Brangus bull).

Thinking on it, that incident might explain a lot about that brother of mine.

That explains a whole lot, right there.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used to know a guy who bred horses. One morning he took his stallion out of it's stall and led it to the water tank. It had rained and the ground was muddy. As the horse came up to the tank, it brushed up against the hot wire. Dead horse.

That is just the story he told the insurance company after he clamped one hot wire to its nose and the other to its arse. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seriously, though, they do make electric fences to contain cats. However, I have no idea what kind of voltage they put out.

3 phase 480? grin

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd like to know what it is about a charged fence that some animals can detect. After they have some experience with it, a horse will seldom touch a hot one. Turn it off, though, and they'll be right into it. I've been told that the current generates ozone that they can smell, but I've never seen any info to substantiate it.

There have been times when my charger has been left off after doing some work in the pen or on the fence, and it takes the horses a few days to challenge the wire. I guess they are just cautious because they are very smart horses. wink

As to the ozone theory, I'm pretty sure that an arc is needed to produce ozone. A high-voltage, low-current, bare wire won't do it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you that if a fence is off, a goat will figure it out almost immediately. They're the hardest animal there is to contain if they really want out. They'll go over, under, or through.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ironbender

There have been times when my charger has been left off after doing some work in the pen or on the fence, and it takes the horses a few days to challenge the wire. I guess they are just cautious because they are very smart horses. wink

As to the ozone theory, I'm pretty sure that an arc is needed to produce ozone. A high-voltage, low-current, bare wire won't do it.

I've got a Gallagher digital fence checker, noticed it starts picking up voltage before I touched the wire so I did some testing last weekend while installing lightning arrestors (another story alltogether). It picks up voltage starting 24 to 30 inches from the wire on my old metal cased M800 charger, and doesn't start detecting voltage until the 6 inch mark on my new, improved, plastic cased M1000's. Same ground setup on both, 4 8' rods spaced 16' apart. So much for the new and improved crap.

I'd say the animals can sense this voltage in the air with their wet noses.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can tell you that if a fence is off, a goat will figure it out almost immediately. They're the hardest animal there is to contain if they really want out. They'll go over, under, or through.

When I had to live in Kansas I let the "goat man" put up elec fence to keep his goats in so I could get rid of sunflowers and woody plants in the pasture.

Those things were always getting out in spite of his claims of knowing how to fence them in.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will a cattle grade electric fence hurt or kill a cat?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only if you're lucky.

If it doesn't work, get a rottweiler.

Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rrroae

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only if you're lucky.

If it doesn't work, get a rottweiler.

Good luck.

We already have a 1/2 Red Border Collie 1/2 COYOTE that would have killed them all by now if we had not watched and trained her. She still kills and eats Possums and squirrels etc. but that is A O K with us.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
S
A big factor is making sure the fence is properly built, maintained and grounded. Most fences emit a shock that is safe and sufficient enough that the animal will remember and stay away from the fence. We have built ours following this sites useful tips on installing electric fences http://www.fishock.com/resources/faqs/installation

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you're lucky it will kill them

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Best Sex Ever

An elderly couple is enjoying an anniversary dinner together in a small town. The husband leans over and asks his wife, "Do you remember the first time we had sex together over fifty years ago? We went behind this tavern where you leaned against the fence and I made love to you." Yes," she says, "I remember it well." OK," he says, "how about taking a stroll round there again and we can do it for old time's sake?

"Oooooooh Henry, you devil, that sounds like a good idea," she answers.

There's a police officer sitting in the next booth listening to all this, having a chuckle to himself. He thinks, "I've got to see these two old-timers having sex against a fence. I'll just keep an eye on them so there's no trouble." So he follows them.. They walk haltingly along leaning on each other for support, aided by walking sticks.

Finally they get to the back of the tavern and make their way to the fence. The old lady lifts her skirt, takes her knickers down and the old man drops his trousers. She turns around and as she hangs on to the fence, the old man moves in. Suddenly they erupt into the most furious sex that the watching policeman has ever seen. They are bucking and jumping like eighteen- year-olds. This goes on for about forty minutes! She's yelling, "Ohhh, God!" He's hanging on to her hips for dear life. This is the most athletic sex imaginable. Finally, they both collapse panting on the ground.

The policeman is amazed. He thinks he has learned something about life that he didn't know. After about half an hour of lying on the ground recovering, the old couple struggle to their feet and put their clothes back on.

The policeman, still watching thinks, that was truly amazing, he was going like a train. I've got to ask him what his secret is. As the couple passes, he says to them, "That was something else! You must have been having sex for about forty minutes. How do you manage it? "You must have had a fantastic life together. Is there some sort of a secret?"

The old man says, "Fifty years ago that wasn't an electric fence."

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

If you are lucky!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
all it's got to do Mark, is stun the damn cat long enough to get a quick shot in. laugh

Sam......

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,933 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.