Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I have often heard that a shot of WD 40 will kill a primer. I recently had to deprime a bunch of WLP primers from some cases and saved the primers for a test. I soaked the primers in WD 40 for about a week.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I then loaded a dozen in some .44 Rem Mag cases.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I took them to the farm and put them in a Ruger .44Mag Vaquero to see if they would fire. Every one of the 12 primers fired.
[img]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m579/Simocephalus/IMG_1914Small.jpg[/img]

I was surprised that they were still active after that long submerged in WD 40.

HR IC

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nicely done....just goes to show that you can't belive everything you hear....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Myth Buster???

1Minute
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Notropis
I have often heard that a shot of WD 40 will kill a primer. I recently had to deprime a bunch of WLP primers from some cases and saved the primers for a test. I soaked the primers in WD 40 for about a week.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I took them to the farm and put them in a Ruger .44Mag Vaquero to see if they would fire. Every one of the 12 primers fired.
[img]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m579/Simocephalus/IMG_1914Small.jpg[/img]

Are you sure you had focused them correctly? <grin>

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Notropis
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good test. Hey, you and I are the only ones who use the priming attatchment on our Rockchucker presses grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Great post!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good test. Just goes to show that the best way to kill a primer is to shoot them

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've seen this done before. I think it was on the old shooters.com site. They're pretty durable.

<B>Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot</B>
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good test. Hey, you and I are the only ones who use the priming attatchment on our Rockchucker presses grin

Interesting test.

Apparently there are three of us that use the Rockchuck Primer attachment. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not fair..everything fires in a Ruger!! Try some Kroil

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been spraying them with Rem-Oil for years and (so far) none have detonated while I was punching them out. Guess that I will have to repeat your experiment, now, to put my mind at rest!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
thanks for the info.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting indeed...thanks for sharing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Years ago I had a job working for Federal Cartridge in Anoka Minnesota.
I ran the priming machine. After a certain period of time when the primers were dry the foreman had me take them out of the machine and drop them into a pail of oil.
I almost cried. They were considered dangerous when they were dry. From what I remember they were dusty when dry and the dust could ignite and cause a mass detonation which could be a catastrophy in a plant that size.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a colleague in Texas who seemed to always generate static electricity in the winter, no matter what he was doing. One night, he was priming cases, reaching into a ceramic bowl to fish the primers out one at a time. As he reached in the bowl which held about 25-30 primers, one or more ignited, scattering primers far and wide. He recovered his composure and realized that he was queasy and his testicles hurt. One of the primers had penetrated his jeans and hit him in the nuts with enough force to administer a nasty bruise.

Shortly after that, I bought a Lee Auto-Prime (which I still use), not because of that incident but because Jack O'Connor reviewed them favorably.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 85 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,939
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.