Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have used Butterfield, good drills. I got a deal years ago on sets of drills in a bronze bench stand from Cleavland Twist Drill Co. I bought fraction, number and letter sets. They lasted a long time.

When doing close tolerance work on a Bridgeport I would lock the knee and never touch it after tramming the head. Used a lot of screw machine length drill in collet holders. Grew to like screw machine lengths for their rigidity and found they seldom wandered. Still prefer to sue them whenever I can.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
YAH !

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's some REALLY good drill bits and taps in SMALLER sizes coming out of Macedonia / Bosnia.

The Czech and Polish product is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Amazing Planet, this.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have enormous admiration for skilled metal craftsmen. Although I have a good mechanical aptitude, I never developed it into a trade and made a living at it. My own limited repertoire came from an adult ed. class in lathe and mill, i.e., just enough to be dangerous. I have a cheap mini-lathe, which has proven to be indispensable, despite its and my limitations.

My own life and career have taken several twists and turns. I met and married my present wife when I was in my mid-30s. Her late father was a master machinist who ran a precision grinding business, and over the years added to my meager store of knowledge. I've wondered if my wife and I had met earlier, if I might have gone into the trade and business with him. I believe I could have been happy and successful doing that.

Keep on making swarf!

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Paul39
I have enormous admiration for skilled metal craftsmen. Although I have a good mechanical aptitude, I never developed it into a trade and made a living at it. My own limited repertoire came from an adult ed. class in lathe and mill, i.e., just enough to be dangerous. I have a cheap mini-lathe, which has proven to be indispensable, despite its and my limitations.

My own life and career have taken several twists and turns. I met and married my present wife when I was in my mid-30s. Her late father was a master machinist who ran a precision grinding business, and over the years added to my meager store of knowledge. I've wondered if my wife and I had met earlier, if I might have gone into the trade and business with him. I believe I could have been happy and successful doing that.

Keep on making swarf!

Paul

But could your liver handle it?

That's a question every toolmaker has to ask himself before embarking on the career.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All jobs have their down sides and stressors, and I'm sure yours is no exception. Truth is, most jobs suck, some more than others and some more often than others.

A lot of worker bees think managers have it easy - until they get promoted. It can be quite a shock, and I've seen it happen a bunch of times. Seen guys beg to go back to their old job. I didn't go to college until I'd worked for about 10 years, and didn't become a manager until my late 30s. Manys the time I wished I were still wearing denim and punching a clock.

Paul

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It ain't about stress or job's suckin'.

It's tradition!

If ya gonna throw in with the toolmakin' crowd there's an etiquette that must be observed.

If you try to buck it they'll fug with ya *bad*.

Toolmakin' is a peculiar form of mental illness unrecognized by the medical profession,..and machine shops are asylums equipped with lathes and milling machines.

If you decide to enter one, you need to be prepared to medicate your*self*. The doctors won't do it.

They don't understand.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting world, that.

I once had a boss who said that his job required a cast iron liver.

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have found that often just a quick touch on the back cut or relief will make all the difference in the world. guys should experiment to try to split the point accurately, effects of different angles and how they affect different materials.

you guys will appreciate this....I scored a hougen mag motor AND a set of annular cutters for it up to 1 1/8" with none of it showing much wear for a paltry $250 and it was from a tool liquidator!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
210/.dia=rpm 2 flute HSS is what I teach apprentices as a good rule up to an inch for drills

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I make no pretense of being a machinist, or toolmaker, but occasionally it's fallen to me to figure out how to fix something.

We had some fixtures needed for pressing large coil springs, which were basically just shafts turned to about �1.8" � .005", and I asked for them to be 32 finish or better. I ordered some S7 tool steel rounds, and gave them to the shop asking them to turn them to size and thread one end, prior to heat treating.

The "machinist" (he was really a mechanic) came to me the next day, with a shaft that looked like a tree that had been knawed by a beaver. He said, "how do you cut this stuff?". I took the shaft and asked, "what kind of cutting oil did you use?" His reply was, "Oil?". grin

After I suggested sulphurized cutting oil, he grabbed the shaft and stormed out. The next day they turned out, more or less okay. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rob p
I'm drilling tool steel, and I dull a lot of bits. I bought a drill doctor and can sharpen them right back up again. They drill wood fine, but back to steel, they do nothing but spin. I heat treat in a knife kiln up to 2200 degrees. I wonder if there would be a way to treat, and if necessary, temper the bits so they would cut steel again. I dulled a carbide drilling D2 and never tried another carbide for $40. I would do fine if I could resharpen regular bits and treat them so they would cut again. I wonder if anyone ever tried it.

Sounds like you have two problems, one is damaging the bits, and possibly using the wrong type for the job, and the other is the process of spinning a bit in an incomplete hole work hardens the holy heck out of the material you are trying to cut.

So my advice is to take a small dia abrasive bit aka dremel bit and grind out the face of the area you've work hardened before trying to complete the hole, or you'll just manage to re-damaget the bit. That and get carbide bits in qty, when drilling tough materials, drills are consumables.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you are running without a constant coolant flow, I recommend running at 25 to 35 SFM with HSS, even with oil. When I ran a mill I ran HSS at 50 SFM with constant coolant on most steels. For dry engine machine work I run HSS dry at much slower speeds on steel and cast iron. Make sure you are feeding hard enough to make a chip which also cools the tool and reduces work hardening; a dull tool will not make a good chip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think he is running a CNC Mill

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WPAH
If you are running without a constant coolant flow, I recommend running at 25 to 35 SFM with HSS, even with oil. When I ran a mill I ran HSS at 50 SFM with constant coolant on most steels. For dry engine machine work I run HSS dry at much slower speeds on steel and cast iron. Make sure you are feeding hard enough to make a chip which also cools the tool and reduces work hardening; a dull tool will not make a good chip.

D2 in it's soft state just is not all that hard to machine. 50 SFPM and a coolant like oil with a decent feed rate should do the job without any problems. Firm pressure with a good drill press and I don't see a problem. My guess is he is using too much speed and no oil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It ain't about stress or job's suckin'.

It's tradition!

If ya gonna throw in with the toolmakin' crowd there's an etiquette that must be observed.

If you try to buck it they'll fug with ya *bad*.

Toolmakin' is a peculiar form of mental illness unrecognized by the medical profession,..and machine shops are asylums equipped with lathes and milling machines.

If you decide to enter one, you need to be prepared to medicate your*self*. The doctors won't do it.

They don't understand.

I know so little about the finer points of machine work or the trade, and have no reason to doubt your take on it as stated above. Maybe the exception has a way of proving the rule.

Dad worked through from apprentice, to journeyman, to shop foreman and on to some really responsible roles. All along the way he was a knockout machinist - first order tool and die and anything else maker long before anything "controlled" was invented. The guy had a level built into his left eye, a dial guage in his right and a micrometer for a brain. He could look at the darn most complicated item, make a few notes in his little spiral-bound book and then go off and produce it from raw.

I know that others can do this stuff just as well and better - he was no superman - but he was really good and he was one I knew and witnessed again and again. Add to that the fact that his colleague machinists/etc. and those he supervised thought the world of the man - turned out in droves for his memorial service.

But, he did not fit in. Harry did not drink - never touched a drop.

Last edited by CCCC; 08/01/11.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
agreed

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
You get a receiver, or barrel drilled / tapped at my place it's $25 a HOLE. (check Brownell's national Averages, that is NOT particularly "High")

That's a fair price and exactly what my local gunsmith quoted me on my Gew98 Mauser that needs scope bases. The rifle only cost me $50 so, THAT project will be on the back burner for a while.

Wish I had Scott & Greg's skills.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have the skills but not one tool left to do the job. Greg has the skill and the tools along with a whole bunch of other skilled here at the Fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
one thing to keep in mind, if you keep getting the same results you are never going to solve it by repeating the equasion. I have had luck getting through a hard spot by altering the point split to get less bite all at once and add some back cut.....alow down and add oil. you may chip a bit trying to get through, but once making a pull again, it will machine well. I have done a lot with little by trying several ways out of the mess I am in.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.