24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are rubbery textured meat....I don't keep them.

I used to catch a few back when I crappie fished. I usually threw them back but one day I caught one about the size of the one in the picture and put him on the stringer with the crappie and when cleaning fileted him right along with the rest. My fishing buddy was over when we ate the fish that had the drum in and I gave him one of the filets. He was adamant that we would throw no more of them back. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
"Why didn't you pay me?" or words to that effect.....

You're good. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
Originally Posted by tedthorn
They are rubbery textured meat....I don't keep them.

I used to catch a few back when I crappie fished. I usually threw them back but one day I caught one about the size of the one in the picture and put him on the stringer with the crappie and when cleaning fileted him right along with the rest. My fishing buddy was over when we ate the fish that had the drum in and I gave him one of the filets. He was adamant that we would throw no more of them back. miles

He must have been bad hungry.....was beer involved?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No beer, just fileted and fried. I ate the other filet and it was good. Not as good as crappie, but good. Better than grinnel. Reminded me of bream. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by digger44
It's a freshwater drum.. sheep's head is a salt water fish that looks similar but has black vertical stripes.

In Louisiana, I've seen 'em as large as 50 pounds.

In Meeeeechigan it is a sheepshead!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The "ivory" is the ear bone, otolith is the proper term for them. They sit a little aft of the brain, and the brain stem comes up between them. Using a butcher knife with some heft to it you chop down and back at a little less than 45 degrees. If the blade is heavy enough you can likely cut deep enough with a single whack.

A tweezer will help you find one down in the liquid in the cavities on each side uncovered by the cut. If there are no cavities showing you need to cut a little deeper until they do show.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
Better than grinnel. miles

Thats easy to say.....they are the worst.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There's nothing more spoiled nor opinionated than fishermen, except maybe hunters. We've got a lot of drum in Grayrocks Reservoir here in Wyoming. They fight a hell of a lot better than walleye(try a 5 pounder), bite when walleye won't, love lead-headed jigs with half a crawler, and taste just as good as redfish, bass, northerns, and most trout. If you can fillet a crappie, you can fillet a drum.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DrHJH
There's nothing more spoiled nor opinionated than fishermen, except maybe hunters. We've got a lot of drum in Grayrocks Reservoir here in Wyoming. They fight a hell of a lot better than walleye(try a 5 pounder), bite when walleye won't, love lead-headed jigs with half a crawler, and taste just as good as redfish, bass, northerns, and most trout. If you can fillet a crappie, you can fillet a drum.

You mean their rib bones are like steel girders? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That'd be a large yellow perch.

click, click, click, click..

Something clever here.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's a couple underexposed photographs...

Of fish.

Do I win? grin

Last edited by ShootDogs; 08/12/11.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've not eaten a lot of them, but they eat just fine.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fresh water Drum. Cut the reddish brown meat out from the white and they are fair to eat.

cat Offline
Never seen this before, but it is beautiful.

You never know the girl standing beside you is your friend or your enemy.www.welcomeget.com
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've caught some big Drum over the yrs....yap it's a Drum.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sheepshead where I come from. We catch them all the time while walleye trolling. Biggest one I ever encountered was just over 16 lbs. An attempt was made to get the lucky stones out of that one. After a knife and then a hatchett failed...a call went out for a chainsaw.........If I remember right Boatboy on here may have been a witness to that. As we say in Quanicassee....it wasn't pretty........

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by cal74
Doesn't look like what I was told was a sheephead (many years ago)? Used to catch them from time to time in the Minnesota River. Friend who told me about them cut one open and showed me the bones in their head(s)???
sheepshead are saltwater with black vertical stripes, and I'm not askin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.