Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a Winchester 1886 ELR (new edition, Japan manufacture, purchased in 2001) which I've decided I have to get serious about. By serious, I mean get it into shape to take hunting, which the simple open barrel rear sight is simply not adequate. I want to be able to use this rifle on general North American game out to 250 yards. As such, I've decided to go to a receiver or tang sight.

My first choice for an aperture sight is the Lyman tang sight, which I've mounted on an 1892 and an 1894 in the past, and I'm comfortable with it. But the "modern" 1886 was made with a tang safety, which precludes putting a tang sight on the gun unless I send it to a 'smith and have the tang safety disabled. The alternative is an adjustable receiver-mounted aperture sight, such as the old Redfield, or a Lyman. I haven't looked at the newer Lyman receiver sights, but have heard they're made of plastic. (I want to use this rifle out to 250+ yards, so an X/S express sight is NOT what I'm looking for...)

So, I'm looking for some opinions here: tang vs receiver, and if tang, who knows a reputable levergunsmith who does the tang safety disable job reliably?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Doc, send it to Turnbull MFG they can ditch the safety weld in a block and give Your rifle a nice charcoal blue if You want, or maybe some very nice case colors, Ive seen none better.

They can D&T your receiver for a Lyman 66 peep, the newer ones are not plastic, there aluminum, You can shop fleabay for an older steel 66, thats what I did, and sent it all to Turnbull, my rifle is an '86 in 50-110 WCF.

Gunner

edit: Doc Ill go find an old thread that shows some pics of my rifle, You can see Turnbulls charcoal bluing and an '86 w/ a Lyman peep mounted and see if its somethind You like, its current in the Big Bore levers section under best make/model for 475 Turnbull

Last edited by gunner500; 07/28/11.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just mounted a new Marbles tang sight on my .45-70 Miroku Model 86-EL via using the longer tang screw only.

It fit right over & hid the tang safety, which I pinned in the "off" position.

Since the top tang's surface is slightly convex, and the Marble base's underside slightly concave, they mated tightly and never shifted zero through 5 years of hunting with it that way. I DID check the tang screw for tightness prior to every outing, though.

BTW - I also switched out the rear barrel sight for a Marble's folder, which allowed me a short-range (75yds) zero for the bbl sights, and a longer range (150yds) zero for the tang sight.
YMMV, on the zero distances desired.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks, guys. Good info from you both, I appreciate it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine is going to Turnbull MFG one of these days...........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto on the Marbles tang sight for the Miroku Winchester 1886, including covering most of the now nearly invisible tang safety.
It works great on my ,45-90. I also installed the Marbles folding hunting (barrel) sight so that I could use either, depending on circumstances. At close range(up to 50 yards)the open sight is fine for shooting game. It has taken one elephant, a leopard, and a running bison with the open sight. My longer range shooting at typical game is done with the tang sight.

Having two sights also provides backup if one is damaged in the field.
NOTE - on my rifle, the tang sight would not lie completely flat because the top of it touched the front tip of the comb, so a friend took off just enough wood to allow it to lie completely flat. This minor change made a marked improvement in using the open sight, especially when speed is important.

Last edited by crshelton; 07/28/11.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
rangr44, where did you order your Marble's sights? Brownell's? I'm thinking I can get both installed and sighted-in well before my Wyoming speedgoat & whitetail hunt with EH76 and Frogman42 in October, then send the rifle to Turnbull over the winter for the full treatment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
last time i spoke with turnbull they wonted $600 to get rid of the safety! heck i only paid $600 for the gun new! the marble tang sight works fine with the safety there. you can get the bolt sight that came on the mod. 71 for $150 i think. the same co. that is making it will instal for $300. looks good. i took a bison with my 1886, worked ok for me. D O M I T !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.