Campfire Ranger
What if any is the difference please?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifleman uses a 1/2 MOA adjustment system, whereas VX-1 uses 1/4 MOA.
Until recently, Rifleman's used a friction adjustment instead of clicks, IIRC.
Both scopes have the same glass so far as I can tell (fully coated only).
VXI has more reticle and finish options, and I believe they can have reticle swaps and parallax adjustments made to them. I believe Rifleman scopes cannot be factory adjusted.

I'm not sure why anyone would buy either the VXI or the Rifleman now that the Redfield Revolutions are out. They have the same Leupold warranty, likely the same full coating set as both Leupolds, have both the accu-range and standard duplex reticle, can be adjusted for parallax or reticle by Leupold, and cost less than even the Rifleman scopes.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Unless they have been upgraded alot, the Rifleman scopes are single coated. The VXI's have full multicoating on the outer lense or lenses. The rest of the lenses have single coatings. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When in doubt, ask the experts at Leupold:

www.leupold.com/tactical/resources/faq/#questionThree

"With all of the recent changes, it can be difficult to know exactly how each product will perform. Every scope Leupold produces, including the Rifleman, is fully coated (all lenses, internal and external, are coated) and utilizes glass, coatings, and optical systems of equal or better quality than the discontinued Vari-X II�s of the past. Decreased cost associated with the Rifleman line is due to increased efficiency in our production process, not from reduced quality.

To make things easier, a brief summary of our current scope lines has been compiled including the most prominent features belonging to each.

It is important to note that every lens (internal and external) in every Leupold scope is coated, but the type of coatings will vary. �Fully multicoated� indicates that each lens in an optical system is coated with multiple layers of lens coating, such as Multicoat 4. �Fully coated� indicates that each lens is coated with a single lens coating; Leupold uses magnesium fluoride. �Standard multicoated� scopes have a combination of coated lenses and multicoated lenses.

VX-7

New for 2007, the VX-7 line takes full advantage of Leupold�s 100 years of experience. The VX-7 uses �-MOA SpeeDial adjustments which eliminate the possibility of losing adjustment covers. DiamondCoat 2 exterior lens coatings provide the highest level of scratch resistance ever offered. Xtended Twilight internal lens coatings work to optimize the wavelengths specific to twilight conditions, making the VX-7 the best low-light scope we�ve ever produced. The use of a 4-to-1 erector system provides a larger range of magnification, making this line the ultimate scope for serious hunters.

LPS

The LPS line uses �-MOA, low-profile, finger-adjustable adjustments; a fast-focus eyepiece; and our DiamondCoat lens coatings to provide incredible light transmission values with the addition of remarkable scratch resistance.

VX-L�

The VX-L was new for 2006, and uses �-MOA or 1/8-MOA adjustments depending upon model, has a fast-focus eyepiece, and utilizes an objective lens specially shaped to allow large objective scopes to be mounted in low rings. VX-L scopes use a combination of Index Matched and DiamondCoat lens coatings as well as edge-blackened lenses to produce extremely low glare and unprecedented light transmission values.

VX-III

The VX-III line was new for 2004, and uses �-MOA, low-profile, finger-adjustable adjustments and a fast-focus eyepiece. VX-III�s are fully multicoated and Index Matched to ensure that each lens has the best possible coating, producing total light transmission values higher than ever seen before.
Mark 4

Beginning in 2004, all tactical scopes are included in the Mark 4 category and will have the same features as past tactical models with the addition of a fast-focus eyepiece and Index Matched lenses; there are two exceptions which include the CQ/T and 3-9x40mm PR. The CQ/T has always utilized a combination of DiamondCoat (external) and Multicoat 4 (internal) lens coatings, and the 3-9x40mm PR is fully multicoated using Multicoat 4. 2003 tactical scopes typically had fully multicoated lenses utilizing Multicoat 4.

Vari-X III

The Vari-X III line (discontinued for 2004 with introduction of VX-III) has seen little change and is still optically the same as those produced in the 90s. Vari-X III�s utilize �-MOA click adjustments and are fully multicoated with Multicoat 4.

VX-II

The VX-II line (2003 and older) uses a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II (discontinued) technology. VX-II�s also utilize �-MOA click adjustments, but the lens coatings are unique. The external lenses are coated with Multicoat 4 and the internal lenses are coated with magnesium fluoride.
Beginning in 2004, the VX-II line is fully multicoated and will perform comparably to the discontinued Vari-X III line.

VX-I

The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing �-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride.

Rifleman

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (�-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation. It is important to note that Custom Shop options (reticle changes, target adjustment installation, etc.) are not available for the Rifleman line of scopes.

Beginning in 2005, there were changes to the fixed magnification scope lines, updating them to follow the current convention used by the VX series of scopes; all fixed magnification scopes now have an �FX� designation followed by a number indicating the combination of technologies used in that product. For example, an FX-II will have the same lens coatings and adjustments as a VX-II, an FX-III will have the same lens coatings and adjustments as the VX-III line, etc.

There was also a shift from using the term �compact" to the term �ultralight,� meaning that the FX-II 2.5x20mm Ultralight which was introduced in 2005 will be a fixed magnification scope with �-MOA click adjustments, fully multicoated lenses, and will have the compact eyepiece.

JEff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since the small dealer wholesale prices for the VX1 and Rifleman 2-7x33 and 3-9x40 are very close, I have generally opted to buy a VX1s in lieu of the Rifleman series. I do have 3 Rifleman series scopes, 2 2-7x33 with the turkey-plex reticle that I bought for $140+/- on sale at Cabela's awhile back and another 2-7x33 Rifleman that I think I bought on 24HCF for about the same price.

I have bunch of 2004 and newer VX2s and think that they are a good value. If you amortize the difference in cost over 20 years, the "practical" difference in unit cost between a Rifleman/VX1 and VX2 of the same magnification is very small. For example, if a VX1 2-7x33 is $173 and a VX2 2-7x33 is $249, the difference in cost is $76. $76 amortized over 20 years is $3.80 per year or $0.32 per month or $0.01 per day. Not enough difference to prompt me not to buy the more expensive VX2.

JEff

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.