Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Browning BAR would be my choice, but the ones I've seen and shot haven't produced the accuracy that is mentioned here. I've found them to be very picky on ammo and 2" groups to be about normal with ammo it likes, and even bigger groups with ammo it doesn't like. Now, I know not all of them are like this, but the one I had was, and after doing lots of reading, talking, asking, and listening, I discovered that quite a few other people have this same problem.

That being said, that's still plenty good enough for a hunting rifle, and everything else about the rifle is pretty good. All in all, I think it's a great hunting rifle, I just wouldn't expect tiny groups with it, as you may get them, but you may not also.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
Benelli�s R1. Will out shoot a BAR any day.

Let's not start a pissing match. I've shot several of both rifles and the Benelli groups as good as any bolt rifle will.

As good as any bolt rifle? Hmmmm, they don't seem to be competing with those R1's in BR competition?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slowr1der
The Browning BAR would be my choice, but the ones I've seen and shot haven't produced the accuracy that is mentioned here. I've found them to be very picky on ammo and 2" groups to be about normal with ammo it likes, and even bigger groups with ammo it doesn't like. Now, I know not all of them are like this, but the one I had was, and after doing lots of reading, talking, asking, and listening, I discovered that quite a few other people have this same problem.

That being said, that's still plenty good enough for a hunting rifle, and everything else about the rifle is pretty good. All in all, I think it's a great hunting rifle, I just wouldn't expect tiny groups with it, as you may get them, but you may not also.

The first BAR I had was a used 7mm Mag I picked up out of a local shop. The gun shot wonderfully. It seriously grouped just as good as any bolt I had ever owned up to that point. 1/2" MOA was possible with certain factory loads (I hadn't picked up reloading at that point). The accuracy of that rifle influenced me to "trade up" the 7mm for a BAR in 300 WM a few years later. The 300 had a significantly worse trigger and grouped the ~2" mark you referenced. I came to discover that the 7mm I had was an aberration in the accuracy department for a BAR.

I think if one is willing to have a smith work the trigger and cut in a target crown the BAR can hang with nearly any high quality factory bolt.

I have long since moved past automatics for hunting. I think they are the wrong gun for hunting applications. One rarely, if ever, "needs" a 1 second followup shot and if they do they deserve to follow the game for a few miles. I have nothing against anyone that prefers an automatic. There are recoil advantages to an auto that some people need. However, if I don't [/u]personally[u] know the safety skills of a hunter in the group that is hunting with an automatic I do not hang around them, especially when they are loading/unloading the gun. I have seen more than one person negligently discharge an automatic because they sucked at operating the gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An Ar10... .308

Armalite

I have a BAR in 338WM... My son loves it...

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned three BARs and have only had one jam while hunting. Of course, this is probably because I never once cleaned any of them. They are tough and are great whitetail hunting rifles. I am actually thinking of buying my daughter a left handed BAR in 7mm-08 - yes, they are available in 7mm-08 and this would be pefect for your wife. I had one in .243 and it was just pure joy to shoot. Mine were all accurate, but not as accurate as my model 700.

The Remingtons are a crap shoot, some are great, some not so great.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Many semi-autos won't wow 'em in the accuracy dept.. However, the vast majority of those, in these parts, are used in WI woods where shots are typically well under 100 yards.. For a 50 yard shot on a deer, 2" @ 100 yards is all anybody needs..

As to the perceived 'recoil advantages'.....it's mainly just that - 'perceived'..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have owned three BARs and have only had one jam while hunting. Of course, this is probably because I never once cleaned any of them. They are tough and are great whitetail hunting rifles. I am actually thinking of buying my daughter a left handed BAR in 7mm-08 - yes, they are available in 7mm-08 and this would be pefect for your wife.
Only if she's a leftie.. laugh laugh
I had one in .243 and it was just pure joy to shoot. Mine were all accurate, but not as accurate as my model 700.

The Remingtons are a crap shoot, some are great, some not so great.

Leave out a couple letters there and you get: Remingtons are --- crap---... Hehehheeheheee....

Seriously, one of the better features of the BAR is the quality of the magazine and it's design re: install/detach.. They ain't cheap to replace - however, they WORK and work WELL.. As opposed to the Rem magazines that are pure junk, front to back.. Oh, one will work well now and then but ya can spend $100 easy trying to find one that does..

The ONLY thing that I've noticed over the years that is a rather common failure on the BAR is the timing latch pin.. Even so, you can run many hundreds of shells through it before that may fail.. It's a rather cheap, quick fix and back to business it goes..

Just keep it clean - especially the chamber - and you'll be golden for years..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington 7400's are reliable and accurate.
Might fit the price range a little better.
Gas operation makes 'em a bit softer shooting.
Carbine version is in .30-06...reduced recoil loads might still function OK, but would need to be tried.
Rifle is 22" and some of the wood-stocked versions look pretty nice.
My 7400 has been dressed up in different guises, but has operated 100%.
Accuracy in the 1.5-2" range with 180's or 220's. The 220's shot a little bit higher, but still vertically in line with the 180's.
I've been very happy with this little Carbine.
Here's a few pix for fun:

Got it in Y2K before my first AR15...heh-heh-heh.
[Linked Image]

Throws a mean fireball from that 18.5" bbl. Everything about this gun at the time was against common sense. Scope too big; bipod; pistolgrip buttstock; extended magazine...I love it!
[Linked Image]

In its intended form as a hunting rifle:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I re-installed the sights and a Picatinny scope rail since these pix were taken.
I'll be adding the oversize safety button in lieu of the 'J-Lock' that was on the 2000 models.
Keep the chamber clean and lube the firearm properly and it should work just fine.
I didn't see any recommendations for the 7400. It might be a cost-effective choice for the wife.
Happy Hunting.

Last edited by MIKE HUNT; 08/09/11. Reason: typos

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My inclination would be to go with either a BAR or the Ruger 44.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For woods whitetails I'd just buy a Ruger mini-thirty and call it good. The one I had would group inside 2" with factory ammo and never jammed once in thousands of rounds fired.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's one that was on a CDN site a couple years back.

Poor young guy didn't know any better and was proud as punch when he posted this pic. That didn't last long when the chorus of laughter started. grin

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ooooooooooo-la-la... And with them sweet see-thrus too!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Either he needs to buy a BAR or change to a Rem 760/7600 .243. There's a reason the BAR is considered by many to be the best.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Ooooooooooo-la-la... And with them sweet see-thrus too!!

No sir that right there is a deer rifle. It don't get any better then that. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Many semi-autos won't wow 'em in the accuracy dept..

I am not an Ar-15 or -10 fanatic in the least bit (I own a few) but the accuracy of uppers put together by custom 'smiths, like we like our bolt rifle, will likely be more accurate than the shooter on average...

But like you said, for deer accuracy, 2" is great...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
BAR, shoots good, parts available, good customer service, and very light recoil.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For under 500 the BAR would work just fine.

A older used one in 308 would kill what ever she wants.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about a Ruger 44 Carbine?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
Benelli�s R1. Will out shoot a BAR any day.

Let's not start a pissing match. I've shot several of both rifles and the Benelli groups as good as any bolt rifle will.

they sure are ugly tho'.......

+1 on UGLY......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The recoil advantage is not perceived, it's real....just like on an autoloading shotgun.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.