Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Ruger Hawkeye coming and am wondering what the general opinion is of the LC 6 trigger? I know I have not even pulled the one in my new gun that is on the way, but have read in most cases they tend to be a bit heavy.Just wondering what others have found with recent LC6 in the Hawkeye. Have any of you tried the lighter springs available from Ernie The Gunsmith?

BP-B6

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned several Hawkeye's recently and found that I liked the new LC6 trigger, I know for most it is probably a bit too heavy but for me I thought the LC6 was a fine hunting trigger as is and did not feel the need to buy a lighter spring, I never have been a big fan of really light trigger pulls.................Hillbilly.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I didnt care for it, Didnt feel like dicking with it or having somebody else dick with. Picked up a spech-tech trigger, and dropped it in. Been happy since then. LC6 trigger is sitting on the shelf next to the factory ruger rings.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The two Hawkwye rifles I bought (a .375 Ruger African and a .300 RCM) had the LC06 trigger which Ruger named for its light and crisp virtues and the 2006 year of the design. Both were 6 pounders from the factory, and both smoothed and lightened with a lot of manipulation from dry practice -- down to the low 4 pound range.

The .375 African now has a smoothed unit with a new spring, and the .300 RCM has the SpecTech set at 2.5#.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a late MK II that had a LC6 trigger. It was the only Ruger I have owned that I havent changed the trigger on. It was not too heavy and it had no creep at all. I never put a scale on it, but didnt mess with it, so I dont remember it being all that bad. I have never had a Ruger out of the box that was that nice, before or after.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It might vary from rifle to rifle but I couldn't tell much difference on mine from the pre LC6 trigger. Not that hard to make better with some stoning though. Didn't need to change the spring. If I had known about the lighter spring I'd have tried it first.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 08/11/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Goodshot I have a LC6 in a 300RCM. As everybody said very heavy from the factory. A friend gave me a new spring to try - and that is all that was needed for a crisp 3lb pull. Its so simple to do as well. I had never done it before but found a video on how to take the trigger apart on Ruger's website. Barely took 5 minutes. I'd definitely try a spring change first before touching the sear surfaces - may not be required.

regards
JohnT

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What gets me is if that's all it took to fix it, why the hell doesn't Ruger supply them that way?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
What gets me is if that's all it took to fix it, why the hell doesn't Ruger supply them that way?

Anus protectus.........

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where can one get these lighter springs for their LC6 triggers? Thanks!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by leomort
Where can one get these lighter springs for their LC6 triggers? Thanks!

Here: http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/ or Brownells

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The biggest virtue of the LC6 is that it's so easy to fix if you don't like the factory pull.

Instead of buying a new spring, I normally just cut half a coil from the factory spring. Ruger triggers do to tend to "wear in" from firing, but often I'm impatient, so as long as I have the trigger apart to fix the spring some stoning gets done as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
scoutman, thank you for the link!

Mule Deer, hmm..that's good thing to know. Perhap I'll practice some dry firing to help lighten up the trigger.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anus protectus...

Yeah, there are so many incidents where "It was that darn clean three pound pull. Jim Bob would be alive today if the pull had been heavier". grin

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The biggest virtue of the LC6 is that it's so easy to fix if you don't like the factory pull.

Instead of buying a new spring, I normally just cut half a coil from the factory spring. Ruger triggers do to tend to "wear in" from firing, but often I'm impatient, so as long as I have the trigger apart to fix the spring some stoning gets done as well.

I used to buy Timney's for my rugers. Now I buy Ernie the gunsmith springs and do just a little stoning.

I started stoning because I had a couple of spare triggers/sears and I figured whats to lose. I found some directions online and once you understand how the trigger works its so fast and easy. Its easier and faster than putting in the timney because stoning is way easier than fitting the Timney under the safety.

I haven't done the LC-6.. maybe Mule Deer can describe how its different from the MKII

The instructions for the MKII are below. If you don't have much creep..you won't need to stone the sear, just a little adjustment of the angle on the trigger and the spring and you will be set.

Do a full function check afterward.

[Linked Image]

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by goodshot
I have a Ruger Hawkeye coming and am wondering what the general opinion is of the LC 6 trigger? I know I have not even pulled the one in my new gun that is on the way, but have read in most cases they tend to be a bit heavy.Just wondering what others have found with recent LC6 in the Hawkeye. Have any of you tried the lighter springs available from Ernie The Gunsmith?
...........Some will like it, some won`t.

I swapped out the trigger assembly on my Ruger Frontier which was bought new before the LC6 triggers were intro`d.

My later 375 Ruger Alaskan which I bought new, has its original LC6 trigger which is just fine with me. I am of the opinion that one wouldn`t want too light a trigger pull on a DG rifle.

I suggest you try it and see how you like it before swapping the trigger.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.