Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
You are quite right in that the Pythons had a very smooth signle action and great triggers. However, there DA pull left alot to be desired and they were never quite as accurate as the Smiths of the day...... E

Please qualify that statement for me Eremicus. I own a Python 4" and I have a M19 6" that was completely worked over by Austin Behlert.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
FINEST .357 ?
- - - - - - - -

A new DAN WESSON 715 revolver from CZ USA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hands down FREEDOM ARMS

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not if one prefers a double action

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing made today, though some pretty nice guns out there, can remotely come to the Pythons I have owned. I am hoping to own another someday, sold my last one to buy the Kimber Pro Carry Crimson Trace edition handgun that is my daily carry piece. Have a S&W model 66 357 coming back to me from my Daughter who had it while iving in Calif next week and they are a really fine 357 and about the right size for that caliber IMO but oh how I miss my Pythons.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Phyton are very slick

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The finest ones that have ever been made are probably the Registered Magnums of the '30's. The last one I saw was $4200 crazy

If one defines "modern day" as current production, S&W is still building 27's out of the Performance Center, and an 8 shot version in the N frame. S&W has excellent quality control, but pesky design decisions, like the silly lock. The smaller K, L, and J frames .357's all fill a niche, depending on what you're doing.

Freedom Arms very likely has the highest precision of anybody today, but it's a single action, which doesn't work for me, for anything that might shoot back.

I also prefer handgun calibers that begine with "4", but if I was buying a .357 today, I'd probably look at an early 50's N frame, with 5" barrel, which is smooth, strong, and great handling. Early Pythons are also something special, but if I bought one it would be for general use, plinking, snakes, etc. I would not shoot anything heavier than current factory loads in it.

About 20 years ago S&W did run some 627's with 6 shot unfluted cylinders and full lug barrels. That's probably the strongest (and heaviest!) .357 revolver out there. I'm not sure today I'd shoot any Keith-equivalent loads in a .357, no matter how beefy the gun.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Finest?

Aside from Korth, I assume.

I have a couple: Colt Python, and a S & W Model 19 with countersunk cylinder.
Korth has the finest price tag, but it's certainly not the finest .357 in my book. I'll take a S&W 27 or Python over a Korth any day of the week.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
You are quite right in that the Pythons had a very smooth signle action and great triggers. However, there DA pull left alot to be desired and they were never quite as accurate as the Smiths of the day.
I would have to disagree with your assertion that the Smith's were the more accurate. How many Colt's were made to wear S&W barrels?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This whole thing about Python�s having delicate lockwork is just more BS promoted by gun writers who don�t know what they�re talking about. Yes, you can damage a Python�s lock work, but only if you�re an idiot hell bent on doing such a thing. If you shoot a Python like a Colt�s revolver with a steady straight back pull, your Python will last every bit as long as an L frame Smith. Try staging the DA action, and you�ll do damage to the lock work. But doing so comes from mis-use, and you can�t blame the gun for an owner who doesn�t know how to use it.
And a Python is a very durable gun, and can take a lifetime of full magnum loads with no problems at all. Remember, the Python is built on the .41 frame, and there were a few .41 magnum Python�s built (oh, talk about the dream gun), it�s stronger than most .357�s.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fotis,

I think S&W makes the best DA revolvers though I'm not a fan of the locks they put on them these days.

I like the older Model 19's and 66's a lot, especially for carry, but the 5" 27-0 takes accuracy and shootability to a level that very, very few handguns do.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Hey Woody,

I agree with you about N frames fitting hands better. That being said, if I went N frame in .357, I would go with the 8 shooter that Smith offers.

However, I really do like the little 2.5" M19s. There is something that just feels proportionally correct with them. smile

Mickey
I was just fondling one of those short barreled m19's in my collection today. I put a set of fake horn grips on mine to ghetto it up. The only issue i would have with them is they don't work well with speed loaders unless you get the 3inch barrel which allows a longer ejection rod.
I carry the shortie with 158grain gold dots and feel pretty comfortable with it, although in recent years i am a subscriber to the "4" rule.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for all the input gentlemen!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
RoninPhx brings up a good point that I had completely forgotten about, in regards to ejector rods and barrel lengths.

I can very clearly remember the first time my dad let me shoot his new 4" Model 19. We were up in the foothills and he did not quite have his ear plugs in yet. I bet he remembers it too, since he was a little too close to his kid. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
This whole thing about Python�s having delicate lockwork is just more BS promoted by gun writers who don�t know what they�re talking about. Yes, you can damage a Python�s lock work, but only if you�re an idiot hell bent on doing such a thing. If you shoot a Python like a Colt�s revolver with a steady straight back pull, your Python will last every bit as long as an L frame Smith. Try staging the DA action, and you�ll do damage to the lock work. But doing so comes from mis-use, and you can�t blame the gun for an owner who doesn�t know how to use it.
And a Python is a very durable gun, and can take a lifetime of full magnum loads with no problems at all. Remember, the Python is built on the .41 frame, and there were a few .41 magnum Python�s built (oh, talk about the dream gun), it�s stronger than most .357�s.

I think Ayoob reported one case where a Python broke because the owner, who was in a close range gunfight at the time, was jerking the trigger as hard as he possibly could. Luckily, he made the first shot count, and survived. The bad guy didn't. Other references report a tendency to get out of time with hard use. To me that's a moot point, if I had one it would get moderate use as a collectible/fun gun, and I'd be unlikely to shoot it hard, or with hot ammo.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you want a truly finely fitted 357 at an affordable price, a pre-1960 S&W Model 27 would be the way to go. I got this one for less than half of what a Python would bring. This specimen was made in 1958. The Elk grips are by Patrick Grashorn, who posts here as "Executioner." The polish is so fine you can shave by your reflection on the side plate grin

[Linked Image]

The 2.5" K-frames, while not as finely fitted and finished as the N-frames (though early 4" and 6" K-frame 357's were very finely finished indeed), are still excellent guns and well worth having. Few revolvers balance as well in the hand as a round butt 2.5" .357 magnum K-frame. Here's my Model 66 no dash wearing Pachmayr Gripper grips.

[Linked Image]

If you can live with shooting hot 38 specials rather than full on .357 magnums, a clean Smith and Wesson Heavy Duty 38/44 is a good choice. This one is as mild-mannered as they come, even with a 158gr LSWC over a stiff charge of 2400.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EGADS man! You have some ROCKIN nice handguns! Some of the finest Smith's I have seen in one place.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Forgot to add: if you don't mind losing some velocity, a 3.5" Model 27 can be really nice and almost as finely balanced as a 2.5" K-frame. Almost, however. Much depends on how big your hands are. My hands are just a tad small for the best feel on this revolver with these grips; for fast work with full-house magnums I prefer the 2.5" K-frame. Here's my 3.5" Model 27-2, late 60's vintage with an aftermarket McGivern-style gold-bead front sight.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/14/11.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by safariman
EGADS man! You have some ROCKIN nice handguns! Some of the finest Smith's I have seen in one place.

Thanks, I got my start in handguns and have recently gone back to them after a foray into rifle-looneyism grin Haven't quite kicked the looney-ism, though, just transitioned to lighter caliber rifles. My last few S&W's were funded by Winchester Model 70's in 375 H&H laugh

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Despite really liking Smiths, Colt King Cobra....

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.