Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
clyde Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am thinking of fixing my marlin 30-30 into maybe some form of "tactical" rifle. Does anyone have ideas what would make up their "tactical" 30-30 if they wanted something along those lines? Any comments welcomed!

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Fifty round tubular magazine pointed on the end for use as a bayonet.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Curb feelers would be pretty neat...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Just paint "stupid" on the stock, and be done with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need to convert it to a rimless 30 Rem, then set it up as a belt fed rifle.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by clyde
I am thinking of fixing my marlin 30-30 into maybe some form of "tactical" rifle. Does anyone have ideas what would make up their "tactical" 30-30 if they wanted something along those lines? Any comments welcomed!

Clyde, you opened yourself up on that one! laugh

A Marlin .30-30 is already a "Tactical Rifle". Just ask Clint Smith.

If you meant "Tacticool Rifle", well then, there are a number of things you can do including a side-mount sling, "Butt-Buddy" ammo slide, Picatinny rails for lights & laser mounting, enlarged padded loop, trigger job, fiber-optic iron sights or XS Sights, synthetic stock, steel follower, silicon magazine tube spring, laser, flashlight, holographic sight, Ceramic coatings inside and out, racing stripes, and tassels for the pistol grip.

I think that about covers it, unless someone else has a better idea.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff Cooper used to write of the "Brooklyn Special"; a standard Winchester .30-30 equipped with a ghost ring rear peep and a high-visibility front post. Said rifle still held to be fairly innocuous by the Draconian permitting system in NYC.

I believe Wilson Combat makes the sights, I suppose you could also get a different finish, that seems sorta pointless though. Along those same lines sythetic stocks and forends can be had.

A low power Scout Scope too might apply, if ya aint actually downing game a .30-30 is still dangerous past 300 yards, especially with a scope I'd guess.

Actually, the standard Marlin 336 is pretty good right out of the box, the ghost peep being the greatest improvement. And heck, any peep rear sight can become a "ghost ring" merely by screwing out the apeture insert.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
XS ghost ring sights, and call it a day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Marlinowners.com they have a few there.

Beer can holder, Definately!

Could a flamethrowing option be added too?

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And a M203 for ballast !

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

+1 !

Ed

PS, I guess I would have to add a good sling, though. smile

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ain't real sure that one of those"this side toward enemy" decals might not be in order.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
..... tassels for the pistol grip.

Ed

Ed;
You see sir, that is why I've always been a 94 aficionado as opposed to Marlin's admittedly fine rifles.

No chance of putting tassels on a nonexistent grip now is there? laugh

To the OP, in all seriousness, the 94 that used to ride under my left leg when checking cows for a rancher buddy and that still sits in the scabbard when we tent in grizzly country has had the following modifications done by me.
-new fore end built with minimal barrel contact
-100year old Lyman tang sight installed and sighted in for 125yds. This one has a flip down "ghost ring" option too, proving not too much is new under the sun. wink
-large and easy to see copper bead front sight installed.
- folding rear sight installed on barrel sighted for 50yds.
-trigger job
-slicked up the action so it feeds much, much better.
-glass bedded the butt stock in for a perfect fit into the rear action socket.
-installed steel butt plate from a '20's vintage carbine, because it looks better to me.. blush
-the butt sock that Ed mentioned sits on there too, though it does like to slide off a bit too easily.
-several coats of Tru-Oil on all exterior and interior wood surfaces, though I really should have put down a base of epoxy first and just might do that some winter.

Anyway, it might not be "tactical" per se, but as the late Col. Cooper well knew, in the hands of a practiced individual, a decent lever gun in .30-30 would be a poor choice to stand in front of.

Hopefully that was some use to the OP.

All the best to you and yours Ed.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I'd add a Ching Sling and a good buttcuff. Andy Langlois' versions of both are the best I've seen.

Leupold is now selling (custom shop only?) a 1-4X scout scope. With the XS scout mount, this would be a slick setup with QR rings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Were you watching the new season of Top Shot recently? I watched it last night, and had the exact same thought... Some (or all?_ gun company is completely missing out on a nitch which needs a "tacticool" lever gun to fill the void. LOL

Last edited by TysonT; 08/16/11.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen a pic of one. Had a rail mounted out on the barrel with an EoTech sight on it and an all black synthetic stock.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As I get older, most all of my iron sights are turning into "ghost sights". Maybe I'm becoming more tactical, I dunno...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a nation where most have access to semi-auto's, a lever action rifle isn't what I'd want to be arming myself with. A guy with only half assed skills and a 20 rnd semi-auto can suppress you, then eliminate you. I've done it myself and seen it done time and time again in force on force training. Big advantage to semi-auto in the hands of even a semi-competent rifleman; just ask any WWII Japanese vet. Had to suck to be on the receiving end of a squad of M1's when armed with an Arisaka.

Now with that being said, a lever action rifle beats no rifle at all by a long shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Just paint "stupid" on the stock, and be done with it.

+1!

If given a choice, I'd take a FAL for a main battle weapon (liberty teeth) over an AR15, but even a Ruger 10/22 in .22LR would give me serious pause if all I had to go against someone armed with the .22LR, was a levergun - regardless of caliber/cartridge in said levergun!

The Marlin will hold? Seven? Or Eight?

The M10/22 should be equipped with a magazine capable of holding 25 or 30 or even 50 rounds!!

Why not scrap the levergun in favor an SKS with 10rd stripper-clips?

I won't be foolish enough to insist a 7.62X39 is "as powerful" as a .30-30. IT IS NOT! But the rooskie-round with its 122-125 bullets will still shoot as far as most lever-30-30's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by clyde

Clyde, you opened yourself up on that one! laugh

A Marlin .30-30 is already a "Tactical Rifle". Just ask Clint Smith.

If you meant "Tacticool Rifle", well then, there are a number of things you can do including a side-mount sling, "Butt-Buddy" ammo slide, Picatinny rails for lights & laser mounting, enlarged padded loop, trigger job, fiber-optic iron sights or XS Sights, synthetic stock, steel follower, silicon magazine tube spring, laser, flashlight, holographic sight, Ceramic coatings inside and out, racing stripes, and tassels for the pistol grip.

Playing cards in the spokes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
387 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.