Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Of the two you mentioned, the Dalaa will exceed the Grizzly in performance.

Better yet, try a Tradtech Titan in a true ILF design.

Personally I don't like metal risered takedown bows all that much, but they definitely have a few advantages.

I love OLD Bears but they aren't exactly speed demons, just solid and dependable.

Good luck in your quest. Trad bows put the fun back into archery.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can afford to spend some time hitting yard/garage sales you can eventually come across something well worth the money. I have two Bear, Grayling bows, a Kodiak and Black Bear. Got $85.00 in both of them and the Black Bear had a half dozen old Pearson cedar arrows with it...still in the original box with those huge, perforated two blade braodheads such as I started with back in the mid 60's.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a PSE Impala laying around doing nothing if your interested?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
I Shoot a black widow PA one-piece autom oak cross grain and love it, but i understand not wanting to spend the money, it was acually my first traditional bow, but mainlly because I live about 40 minutes from there headquarters in nixa, MO so Ive been drooling over a black widow my whole life, also you cant beet the owners of black widow they are some of the nicest good christian guys Ive ever met

If u want a well priced bow I really like the Martin hunter its a good hunting bow and is also not that bad looking, My opinion the martins have always seemed smoother than the bears but if u find a bear that cheap seems to be a good buy to me, also if you look around on the internet I have seen some new martins pop-up for around 400

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
widowboar.jpg (41.43 KB, 1156 downloads)
blackwidow.jpg (55.02 KB, 1057 downloads)
bwboar.jpg (83.29 KB, 455 downloads)
Last edited by awahlert; 07/29/11.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of things to remember when starting out Trad shooting. First get a bow lighter than you think you need. 30-35# for an average size guy will work you much harder than a 70# compound. Second get a bow longer than you think you need 62-64" bows are smoother and easier on the fingers. Third don't spend much money on your first bow. You may not like it and if you do you will likly be wanting a different bow within a couple months anyway. I highly recommend "Shooting the STickbow" for all new shooters - $20 from amazon and the text book for trad shooting. Good Luck with it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have shot most trad bows made. Nothing comes close to Dan Toelke's bows. You can spend more or less but you won't get better.

www.MontanaBows.com

Dan makes a damn great longbow. Truth is, out of all the guys building LBs (and I've shot just about all of them including ACS bows) I'd pick Dan everytime. But his recurves suck.

Then there's Schafer Silvertips.... They are hands down the best takedown recurve on the market, and I'll never be without at least one of Dave's bows. Stable, fast, smooth, and quiet all in one. Think of it as a Widow, with the limbs on the right side of the bow, that doesn't have that twang when you dump the string laugh Dave's longbows have never impressed me...

Pat, you never fail to suprise me... Never figured you for a trad guy... My brother's Schafer, "Double Haul", has one set of limbs that are 73# at 27" and the other set of limbs is 55 at 27" The same arrows through the screens, and the 73#ers are 8 FPS faster is all. Heavy limbs these days is a lifestyle choice. I'm a little jealous of guys that can tug 'em though. 3 AC seperations in my left shoulder means I get to shoot 60# limbs, and thats it. You need to hit the Barber Ranch shoot down on the Hungry Hollow Road next year. I'll be there

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the money a Bear "super kodiak" in 55# will get you a nice accurate fast shooting bow for hunting and not cost so much for your first bow...thats good advice!
My Tom Gore built cascade superblackhawk is 22 yr.old this season!Recurves Rock!

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I have shot most trad bows made. Nothing comes close to Dan Toelke's bows. You can spend more or less but you won't get better.

www.MontanaBows.com

Dan makes a damn great longbow. Truth is, out of all the guys building LBs (and I've shot just about all of them including ACS bows) I'd pick Dan everytime. But his recurves suck.

I disagree with you on that. The Classic Chinook is a great recurve. I have never shot any of Dan's take downs so can't speak for them. I don't like take downs anyways. So if they do in fact suck it is no lose to me.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've shot Shakespheres, Bears, Black Widows and some customs and though I'm by no means an expert I've several decades of pulling strings. My favorite is this very smooth Fedora take-down Hunter. I've taken some twenty deer with bows to date. With recurves, the most important thing is to not "over bow" yourself (for example,this is about max I want to pull in a recurve) be disciplined enough to shoot regularly and as with compounds, have your equipment tuned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my Bruin recurve (have two sets of limbs-53# and 57# at 28"; length 54" and 58" respectively). It is shorter than the Fedora, very handy in blinds or on a stand with the shorter limbs. Ive taken a lot of game with it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 07/30/11.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair

www.MontanaBows.com

I disagree with you on that. The Classic Chinook is a great recurve. I have never shot any of Dan's take downs so can't speak for them. I don't like take downs anyways. So if they do in fact suck it is no lose to me.

Dan's recurves are slow... I've shot 2 of them through chronographs right next to a Schafer of the same weight, and with any weight arrow, the Schafer will go 10FPS faster. Anytime you want to shoot a Schafer takedown, look me up when you're in kalispell next. Just bring you're Toelke LB for me to shoot wink

I'm Irish...

When I got my Black Widow they told me 50-55 pounds is plenty for deer and other medium size game, mine is around 55 and Ive shot a few hogs and deer with it and had no problems

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Next time I am out your way I will let you know and will make sure I have the XX Whip with me. I have a very good friend in Missoula that is hounding me to come out. Hopefully next year for archery elk.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 07/30/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do it laugh

The Zoo is smack dab in the middle of some choice Elk country if a guy wants to drive a couple hours in just about any direction. Great party town too...

I'm Irish...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Elk hunting I am all over. Not much of a partier.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Try Navaho Archery in Henderson, Texas. Roy Hall bowmaker.
Long bows and recurves.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elk hunting I am all over. Not much of a partier.

The head west of there and work over the Thompson Falls area. You're going to see other bowhunters, but not too bad. Be willing to work to get at them, and you might actually pull it off...

I use the other approach, I backpack in 12 miles, stay put for a week, and rarely ever see humans in September.

I'm Irish...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am stuck in CT for this season. I am always willing to work, and like you rather be into it deep and not see anyone else.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bought this Wing Archery Co. bow in 1972. Its the RedWing Hunter model in 45 lbs. I killed many deer with it over the years. In the 1970's it was cedar arrows with turkey feather fletching. But the 80's brought quality aluminum shafts and better broad heads, too.

If I were seeking another recurve, I'd go for Martin Hatfield or a Damon Howatt custom.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I wont be getting rid of mine anytime soon....works of art, they are.

Nothing against Black Widow; awesome bows, but here are some works of art!!! Blacktail Bows.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

624 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.