Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mike762
....seems that the guy who owns S&K worked for Conetrol, then took what he learned and started making almost the same thing.

Mike,

The S&K mounts are not the same at all. The Conetrol are complicated split rings, while the S&K are simple one-piece rings that wrap around the scope tube.

Ted

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Echo the same thoughts on would like an extra-low S&K. Like them a lot, clean looking, no bulk; have on Husky 1640 and CZ550. And +1 on their cs.

The rear bases for my Husky were about .070 proud off rear of receiver, interfering with bolt on closure. Presumably reciever wasn't drilled std, not sure. Anyway, S&K listened to my issue, took them back, milled off the requisite material per my measurement and reblued both front and rear so would still match. Took maybe a week turnaround. No charge. Now that's above and beyond cs.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Echo the same thoughts on would like an extra-low S&K. Like them a lot, clean looking, no bulk; have on Husky 1640 and CZ550. And +1 on their cs.

The rear bases for my Husky were about .070 proud off rear of receiver, interfering with bolt on closure. Presumably reciever wasn't drilled std, not sure. Anyway, S&K listened to my issue, took them back, milled off the requisite material per my measurement and reblued both front and rear so would still match. Took maybe a week turnaround. No charge. Now that's above and beyond cs.

Yes, that is wonderful customer service by SK.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Yukoner
....seems that the guy who owns S&K worked for Conetrol, then took what he learned and started making almost the same thing.

Mike,

The S&K mounts are not the same at all. The Conetrol are complicated split rings, while the S&K are simple one-piece rings that wrap around the scope tube.

Ted

Just repeating what the owner of Conetrol told me. Don't have a dog in the fight, and own products from both.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Yukoner

Mike,

Ted

Just repeating what the owner of Conetrol told me. Don't have a dog in the fight, and own products from both.

None of us are arguing that's what you were told. wink

Just the truth of what he told you.

Last edited by jim62; 08/20/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am acquainted with Sid Haight, the founder of S&K, now retired, who sold the business to the current owner. He advertised, for many years, that his ring-to-base design was through an arrangement with Conetrol. He never worked for Conetrol. Sid learned the tool/die trade locally and improved upon Conetrol's design, first specializing in cleverly designed mounting arrangements for military and obsolete rifles.

George Miller, Conetrol's owner who is around 90 years old these days, has always been most helpful with me and voluntarily discounts whatever I buy without me asking for same.

I've never had ring-marking issues with any of the many Conterol mounting systems I own. Ditto for S&Ks. I do prefer the simplicity and weight of the S&K design over Conetrol's.

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.