Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluegillman
my 2 pennies. if you are to wimpy to carry a 9 pound rifle .you have absolutly ZERO chance of packing out an elk quarter. stay home and oil your rifles. or road hunt........

Believe it or not, you'll probably get old enough to realize just how ridiculous this post is. Adding two pounds to say...5,000 steps in a day's hunting has added up to 10,000 pounds of lifting. shocked shocked

When it comes time to pack out the meat, that 10,000 pounds has made a real difference. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The way I look at it, when I'm packing meat (and I plan to every time out) I don't want another 2 lbs. of anything that doesn't add value. Hell, a liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs.; give me a 6 1/2 lb. rifle and an extra liter of water for the trip out any day.

Come to think of it, that's what my muzzleloader weighs, and we're going for a little hike in the mountains in about 2 weeks. And that's what my 7-08 weighs, we'll be hitting the high country later on during deer season.

I'm pretty sure my chances of packing meat have nothing to do with the weight of my rifle and everything to do with how I hunt and whether the shot is true.

But there is some truth to bluegillman's contention, it's true that I have a zero chance of packing out an elk quarter. I gave up packing elk bones years ago, those suckers are heavy. If that makes me a wimp, so be it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
I gave up packing elk bones years ago, those suckers are heavy. If that makes me a wimp, so be it.

I must be a real wimp then, Ive taken to carrying an extra three ounces in my pack in the form of a boning knife...for antelope that are too far from the road..... blush

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find a 9 lb. rifle way too heavy to swing out a truck's window.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats why Dober likes to cut the barrels back to 21"...decreases the weight and the " turnaround ratio".... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know what's real nice, on those previous F150 models, there was a great rifle rest between the mirror and the A-pillar that was just perfect for road hunting from the passenger seat if you get your driver to align the truck for you.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
First of all,the normal Joe who is not an Internet rifle loony just goes down and buys a rifle,say a Ruger 77 as an example in say 30-06.

Rifle weight...7.5 lbs
3-9 Leupold scope and bases over 1 lb.
Add rifle sling like a 1" Montana with studs and 5 rounds of ammo and that guy has over a 9lb rifle,anyway you want to look at it and he isn't whining about it..

There are tons and tons of hunters out there that do not reload/do not check there rifle weight or really care and shoot factory ammunition.Those that choose to carry a pistol in predator country,good for them and I may this year.Nothing wrong at all with that and besides,it's know one else's business is it how anyone else chooses to hunt as long as there not whining about it?

Ever here your dad or grandpa whine about rifle weight carrying the heavier older rifles wearing the much heavier boots and gear..I never did once.Never heard 'em whine once about elk quarters either or just throwing a deer over there shoulders and packing it out.

For those that knock hunting via horseback...I laugh..Guys spend thousands to be packed back in by outfitters and are danged glad they have horses way back in with an elk down where they can't even get the horses to and someone has to pack "elk quarters" to the horses.

But whining about 16 ounces of rifle weight is showing that person is not really in shape.That same person may shoot a 4-point instead of a 6-point just because of horn weight to pack out or a forked horn if he is really tuckered out.

Come on get serious..16 ounces of rifle weight isn't squat...

Jayco

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
Add rifle sling like a 1" Montana with studs and 5 rounds of ammo and that guy has over a 9lb rifle,anyway you want to look at it and he isn't whining about it..

.....Nothing wrong at all with that and besides,it's know one else's business is it how anyone else chooses to hunt as long as there not whining about it?

See, this is the part you just don't seem to grasp--there ain't no one here "whining" about rifle weight.

You're the only one whining, so why don't you take your own advice: "it's know one else's business is it how anyone else chooses to hunt..."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Excuse me..This hole thread is full of those defending rifle weight and there choices and I started this based on someones complaining about rifle weight.We have those saying a 9lb rifle is to heavy to swing out the window and those that say 32 ounces in rifle weight is 10,000 pounds in so many steps......

Then there is the reference to packing a pistol up the mountain elk hunting..I say,if he can do it,why not.

A 9 lb rifle is a standard unmodified rifle which the vast majority of hunters use...

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
uh no, this whole thread is full of people making fun of you and your attitude

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks to logsplitter I can sleep well at night knowing there's some tough guys still around. Real men. A man's man. Carry's heavy stuff around and gets his elk. None of this sissie internet stuff. He's been there and done that, just like Ray.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
uh no....It is full of those that don't agree with others opinions getting jumped on like...

my 2 pennies. if you are to wimpy to carry a 9 pound rifle .you have absolutly ZERO chance of packing out an elk quarter. stay home and oil your rifles. or road hunt........

answer

Believe it or not, you'll probably get old enough to realize just how ridiculous this post is. Adding two pounds to say...5,000 steps in a day's hunting has added up to 10,000 pounds of lifting

Which sounds more ridiculous to you.That's 5,000 pounds of lifting for 16 ounces. grin

Hunting on the net is just to danged hard if you listened to all the BS....Maybe we all should take up knitting instead.

Jayco

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While this thread is really about you guys having fun busting balls from both sides I carry a heavy gun because I am out of shape and a wuss.

An extra 16 ozs is not much when you are carrying it but it can make a world of difference when you need to make a difficult shot.

My goto rifles are 10.5 lbs unloaded and they have been to some pretty nasty places (for me) and I did not enjoy carrying them but I do like the extra reach.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
While this thread is really about you guys having fun busting balls from both sides I carry a heavy gun because I am out of shape and a wuss.

An extra 16 ozs is not much when you are carrying it but it can make a world of difference when you need to make a difficult shot.

My goto rifles are 10.5 lbs unloaded and they have been to some pretty nasty places (for me) and I did not enjoy carrying them but I do like the extra reach.

I thought it was because you get out of the truck, walk 10 yards, throw your shooting mat down and take that 1000 yard shot grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like light rifles.

This thread has got me confused. Does liking light rifle make me a puzzy, or not a puzzy?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I like light rifles.

This thread has got me confused. Does liking light rifle make me a puzzy, or not a puzzy?

Some here think you're a puzzy regardless grin whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by logcutter

A 9 lb rifle is a standard unmodified rifle which the vast majority of hunters use...

Jayco

The vast majority of hunters don't make it more than a mile from the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I thought it was because you get out of the truck, walk 10 yards, throw your shooting mat down and take that 1000 yard shot grin

Well there's always that too. laugh

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JohnBurns; 08/24/11.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
E-3 Burns..Lil John.. grin

Don't you remember these?

[Linked Image]

Jayco laugh

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by toad
i guess i just don't understand why any sporting rifle should weigh 9#+ all up...

my .375 Ultra

[Linked Image]

That's got to leave a mark! smile

Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.