Campfire Regular
G
as I now slow down, Freezer paper. GRF

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We package ours (there are two of us) in sandwich bags, wrapped in foil with freezer wrap on the outside. Couple of years they are fine. I also have quite a following of friends that will take game if there is a surplus. My biggest issue is giving it away prior to cutting it up.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bigwhoop,

Good question!

We have three 15 cubic-foot freezers, two chest and one upright. All are "defrost as needed," which we do annuall, about this time if year.

But we haven't bought a freezer for at least 6-7 years.

Anybody?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB we always do ours with a layer of Saran Wrap, to seal out the air, then tightly wrapped in the butcher paper...good for two years....

You never complained and I always feed you the old stuff...... whistle

DOH!

Probably shouldnt have said that.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wrap each cut in cellophane, then bulk pack those in gallon ziplock bags. You can get quite a few small cuts in a gal bag. It's very fast, and very cheap. It's easy to find a particular cut because you just have a few gal bags instead of dozens of smaller packages. I've kept meat 2 years that way with great success. Repeated openings of the gal bag doesn't seem to matter as long as we squeeze out as much air as possible each time. We've never needed to keep it longer than that. It disappears long before it gets to 3 years.

Before I started this method, I used a lot of butcher paper. Properly wrapped, a single layer will last several years without inside wrapping.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We use a saran type freezer wrap, then that goes into the freezer paper. Like others have said, I've used meat that was 4 or 5 years old with no loss in quality.

I bought a vacuum sealer thinking it was going to be the ticket, still use it on a few things like sausages or tamales, but wasn't pleased with the long term results. Seemed to lose too many seals which resulted in freezer burned meat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saran wrap and butcher paper here. Of course we go through it fast enough that hardly any of it is over a year old, but the oldest still tastes as good as the freshest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using Glad Press'n Seal for I guess about ten years now with excellent results. Good for three years anyway, meat doesn't last that long unless it gets lost in the bottom of the pile. In case you don't know, it's a plastic wrap that's coated with a tacky adhesive on one side about the strength of the adhesive on a Post-It.

The plastic is a little stiffer and easier to manage than the standard poly film. With the adhesive the stuff tends to stay sealed when you squeeze the air out. Beats bags because you can size it as you need and you just wrap.

I over wrap with freezer paper, not very carefully, mainly so stuff doesn't slide around in the upright. I buy packages of chicken leg quarters or thighs on sale and wrap individually with Press'n Seal. Then back into the store bag and in the freezer. Works just fine without the over wrap but I'd get the Press'n Seal freezer version for longer storage without the over wrap.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had elk and whitetail venison last a couple years even in a regular frost-free kitchen freezer, if well wrapped in freezer paper.

We buy our beef and pork in bulk from local farms. All of the slaughterhouses (three different ones so far) use vacuum packs, and nearly every package ends up leaking when you get it out to thaw. Still, most of them are tight enough that the meat's fine. Even a six-month-old Boston butt with a lot of frost on it turned out well after nine hours in the oven.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reba
I still have 6 packages of ground elk that was harvested in Nov of 2009. It was/is wrapped in butcher paper and is still great.

I'm still working on 2008 Axis sausage and it was tightly wrapped in butchers paper. Good stuff with my morning eggs.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.