Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bought a bore sighter some 30 years ago. Used it a lot in stockmaking when the inletting was nearly done. Today, I use it when changing scopes and usually able to get the new rifle/scope combination to shoot within 1" of the prior setting.

Many receivers are not drilled parallel and need shimming. Without the shims, who knows where they will shoot. By using the collomator, one can easily see if the scope runs out of windage when receivers are off, thus saving range time.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing I do before changing out a sighted-in scope is bore sight it and take notes on where the crosshairs are. Then adjust the crosshairs on the new scope to same point and they come very, very close to the desired POI. Sometimes bore sighting is dead center and correct but sometime it's not.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
� In the weeks preceding deer season, our club opens our ranges for the public to check their sights (for a modest fee). Members volunteer as range officers. On more than one occasion I have helped people who came with newly-mounted, bore-sighted scopes that would not put shots on paper. They are amazed that I can pull the bolt out, sight through the bore with the rifle on sandbags, and adjust their scope so they can sight it in. Especially the generations younger than me are are conditioned to think a "higher" technology is the solution to every problem.

As president of the rod-and-gun club at the proving ground, I did pretty much the same thing.

I took my "portable shop" to the range every preseason sighting-in day and mounted and bore-sighted 'scopes without charge. What an experience that was! And how disgusting it was to learn that many "gunsmiths" had mounted 'scopes, bore-sighted 'em with collimators, and pronounced 'em "sighted-in!"

I also used a good collimator. With all the variables, I "zoomed" the magnifications up and down their full range, and discovered that an alarming number of the reticles wandered all over the place. Particularly distressing was the discovery that some cheap Japanese rip-offs with soft aluminum screws and mysterious brand names wandered less, while some renowned and respected brand-name 'scopes often wandered worst of all.

Ken,

It can be interesting, interacting with "the public" like that, can't it? You see some things that, if you think about them too much, you will have trouble sleeping at night. Examples:

A scope mounted at a store that was rotated 90 degrees off so the windage adjustment was on the top.

a scope mounted at a store (I am not making this up) that was mounted backwards.

The guy firing .308 cartridges in his 30-06, and saying when caught, "They're 30 caliber, aren't they"? I don't remember the rifle, but somehow the extractor must have held enough for the cartridge to fire. The brass had an interesting blown-out shape.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i too bore site all my rifles the old fashion way. one thing i have found to be true for me though in terms of Rugers is that if i optically center the scope prior to mounting it, i find that it is always within a couple inches of windage at 25 or 50 yards. then it tends to be a few inches high, i have yet to have a ruger with its factory rings not be within the target at 25 to 50 yards if the scope was optically centered prior to mounting. says a lot for the factory mounting system in my book. i wont say it will not happen differently, i'm just saying it has worked for me so far in the dozen rugers i've sited in so far.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

I took my "portable shop" to the range every preseason sighting-in day and mounted and bore-sighted 'scopes without charge. What an experience that was! And how disgusting it was to learn that many "gunsmiths" had mounted 'scopes, bore-sighted 'em with collimators, and pronounced 'em "sighted-in!"

I always and only use the old method....(don't have a laser boresighter)...

A few years ago a buddy came to shoot his recently purchased 300 RUM at my place. I have a 100 yard range set up across my front yard shooting through an open gate into a large backstop in my pasture. He was told when he purchased it that it had been sighted with a laser boresighter and the scope was set....should be ready to go.... He fired the first shot from 100 yards and we expected to need to adjust but nothing hit the target. I pulled the bolt and took a look...the scope was WAY high and WAY to the left...about 25 yards in front of us and several feet to the right of our line of sight there was a groove in the concrete across my front sidewalk.

Never trust a smith or gunshop who says it has been laser boresighted...maybe it is, but check it using the old method and fire the first shot from 25 yards...you could save a sidewalk... sick

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can get 100yards from my deck to the back fence line. I set therifle in a cradle, look thru the tube and pickup an electric fence insulator and get that centered. Then I adjust the scope to that point.Usually I am within 4" of dead center with the first shot at 100 yards.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
I bore sight all of my rifles in this fashion. I do use scope levels when mounting them though, apparently I've got a crooked eye and a pard that loves pointing out my occasional crooked reticle...... grin

laugh
I resemble that remark. blush

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

[/quote]

I always and only use the old method....(don't have a laser boresighter)...

A few years ago a buddy came to shoot his recently purchased 300 RUM at my place. I have a 100 yard range set up across my front yard shooting through an open gate into a large backstop in my pasture. He was told when he purchased it that it had been sighted with a laser boresighter and the scope was set....should be ready to go.... He fired the first shot from 100 yards and we expected to need to adjust but nothing hit the target. I pulled the bolt and took a look...the scope was WAY high and WAY to the left...about 25 yards in front of us and several feet to the right of our line of sight there was a groove in the concrete across my front sidewalk.

Never trust a smith or gunshop who says it has been laser boresighted...maybe it is, but check it using the old method and fire the first shot from 25 yards...you could save a sidewalk... sick [/quote]

LMAO...

Last year about this time I handled an auto claim. I seldom do auto anymore but took this one. grin

A guy volunteered to sight in his brother's new 300 Ultra Mag and borrowed the brother's new Toyota 4X4 PU to go up into the hills and sight the rifle in. He had to be towed back with two bullet holes across the hood. The bullets fragmented so badly they wiped out major electrical components and his injection system.

He called the insurance company's claims manager and filed a complaint after I told him a shooting rest is a helluva lot cheaper than $1,000.00 deductibles in the future. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I learned a trick many years ago for bore sighting if you are tight for room in the house or like me at the time, having your gun room in the basement with windows to high to sight out. Place a small round dot on the wall about five feet from the muzzle. Clamp the rifle in a padded vise and center the dot in the bore. Place another small dot 1.5 inches above the first dot and center the crosshairs on it. In most cases it will bring you pretty close to on at 25 yards. I used this trick many years ago and though I now have a bore sighter, I find that it doesn't get me any closer than the old method.

Like Mr. Howell, I used to work our local range's sight in days. It was a scary thing sometimes. A couple of the more notable incidents were when a fellow absolutely refused to consider shooting a few rounds at 25 yards to get on paper because, one, the store bore sighted it to be on at 100 yards and, two, he didn't intend to shoot anything that close so he wasn't going to sight in that close. He proceeded to shoot a full box of 338's at 100 yards off the bench resting on nothing other than his elbows, despite the availability of a wide assortment of shooting rests. Seems he believed since he wouldn't have any shooting rests in the field he didn't need one to sight in with. A full box of 338's later he had not a round on paper and some severely abraded elbows to show for it. He left mumbling doubts about the shops ability to bore sight a rifle.

The second was a gentleman who was talked into buying one of the portable bench gun vises that were popular twenty years ago. They were about 12 or 15 inches long and clamped on the forend of the rifle and set on the bench. I thought they were designed to be a bench vise to take with you to clean the rifle but I saw many including this fellow use them for a shooting rest. This guy, rather than hunker behind it with the rest on the bench held it up and shot off the bench on his elbows with the device clamped to the rifle. Despite some gentle coaching from myself and a couple others he insisted that the guy at the shop had assured him he should sight in using this device.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the only way I ever have.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use this technique often. (twice today) This gets me close at 25 yards, and then I shoot at 100 yards. One rifle today was sighted in with 1 shot at 25 yards, and 1 shot at 100. My other rifle took 4 or 5 shots total.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good while back, someone on this or a similar forum told about having been in a gun store when another customer came-in with a rifle that he hadn't been able to sight-in.

The problem, he said, was that although he'd screwed the windage screw as far as it'd go, the rifle was still shooting 'way off to the side.

"Let me see that thing," the store clerk said, and took it into the back room. When he came back, he said that he couldn't find anything wrong with the windage adjustment but had had a dickens of a time unscrewing the turret cap.

"Turret cap?"

The guy who told the story said that he had to go outside to laugh.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Thumper358
I also do it, but when I do it is at 25 yds..don't get good results at 100.

I switched to boresighting on as distant an object as possible. With this method rifles put the first shot within 3 inches at 100 yards and often within an inch. I.e. boresight on the top corner of a building, bridge tower, etc. from a quarter mile to three miles or more away. That lengthens the sight radius. If you center the distant pinpoint spot in the bore and keep that concentric with chamber etc. the rifle will shoot uncanny close to where the crosshairs are at 100 yards. My eyeball boresighting is way more accurate than borseighter gizmos friends have.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/27/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nope, it is a wast of time for me. I just fire one offhand at 25 yards, adjust it so it is shooting a little low at that range and then step back to 100 yards. I can usually have a rifle dialed in with about 4 shots.

I also start at 25 yards. Like you, I can usually get a rifle dead-on at 100 yards in about 4 shots. My friends are usually quite amazed at that and pleased that I get their rifles shooting with so few rounds fired. I do, however, sight down the bore first and align the reticle that way before firing the first shot. I have seen more than one rifle that would have missed the paper even at 25 yards had I not visually aligned it first.

Some rifles cannot be aligned by sighting through the bore. A Browning leveraction comes to mind because taking one those apart to sight down the bore and putting it back together correctly is a challenge. With those rifles I just shoot at 25 yards. If the first round is not on paper, move up to 12 yards.

I have seen guys at the club fire box after box of ammo and still not be satisfied with the rifles zero. Sometimes they are open to receiving assistance, and sometimes not. I think it's a matter of pride more than anything.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bore sight all of my rifles in this fashion. I do use scope levels when mounting them though, apparently I've got a crooked eye and a pard that loves pointing out my occasional crooked reticle...... grin

Troy is that you??? grin whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never used a bore sight, never will.

Same with all the OAL contraptions that are out there. I don't need another 47 pieces of junk to keep taps of.

Isn't that the truth. I agree on all accounts.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good lawd there must be two of us....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good lawd there must be two of us....

grin

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Since I got the level level level I tell my pard to go to hell when he comments on my reticles..... grin

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have bore-sighted hundreds of rifle. When I first got serious about rifles I had a shop where I could put a rifle in a vise, then aim at the tip of my neighbor's roof, and come very close.

In fact I once bore-sighted a .270 of mine just before hunting season. When my father-in-law showed up unexpectedly wanting to hunt, on a day when I had to work, I handed him the rifle and box of 130-grain ammo and told him to shoot it at a box to see if it was close. Of course he didn't--but did shoot a deer and was puzzled about why I'd made the suggestion.

I find collimators (which I've used for 30+ years) very useful for a number of other tasks, including testing adjustments and how much variation from point-of-impact there might be when as variable is turned from minimum to max. Yeah, you can find that out by shooting--and burn up a bunch of ammo.

Plus, neither bores-sighting or a collimator is perfect. I have tested both on a number of sighted-in rifles, and results vary considerably, mostly due to barrel thickness and bedding of the stock's forend.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 72 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.