Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'good finds' is an understatement.....

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On the Hogsback Ridge it is pretty steep. Was this a hunting area or camp? Is there a better aera such as the top of the ridge, the east side overlooking the plains or the west side toward the mountains?

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I'd kill to find artifacts like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
look on the semi-level high points with a view(camps)rimrock promontories (lookouts), fingers along washes, the tops/lips of draws running parallel to the ridge, any sandy raised hump. think 'near water' even tho ancient springs may not be flowing now....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Man, my goal is to find ONE arrowhead, you guys are so lucky! I havent had any luck at all. Mebbe I have to walk quieter? I think they hide before I get there!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
found another good point. Can't decide if it's a spear point or a small knife. It has a little indent that fits the right thumb perfectly as a hand held blade....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Likely a scraper but could be a small knife. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rattler
my grandmother has or had a bunch of hammerstones and arrow points, infact there are tipi rings off of what used to be their north fields.....but after 2 generations looking over their property before i came along ive never come across anything...

anymore i hunt mainly public lands, havent seen any native artifacts but im looking at my feet as much as up looking for deer or such....where i normally hunt is part of the Hell Creek Formation and is full of dinosaur fossils, lots of cool stuff has been found by hunters out there but i havent been lucky enough to stumble on anything yet.....cant collect vertebrate fossils off public land but i can get credit for finding it grin
plow that field

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by rattler
my grandmother has or had a bunch of hammerstones and arrow points, infact there are tipi rings off of what used to be their north fields.....but after 2 generations looking over their property before i came along ive never come across anything...

anymore i hunt mainly public lands, havent seen any native artifacts but im looking at my feet as much as up looking for deer or such....where i normally hunt is part of the Hell Creek Formation and is full of dinosaur fossils, lots of cool stuff has been found by hunters out there but i havent been lucky enough to stumble on anything yet.....cant collect vertebrate fossils off public land but i can get credit for finding it grin
plow that field

Lady hunter/collector that I know, agreed to pay for plowing/ reseading a field that fifty years earlier had produced many artifacts. Field had not be cultivated for fifty years. Work was done and it rained within a couple of days, she waited another couple of days to allow the field to dry, prior to walkin it.

As soon as the sun came up she went into the field and found no artifacts but numerous footprints left by someone who had no problem with walking in the muddy field. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1minute, why'd you delete your post? Those were really cool points you made.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sorry. Go back a couple of pages and it's there. I did not look at the date in time to realize that this was a resurrected thread. See # 5031675 a page or two back.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/18/11.

1Minute
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Work was so good, he was afraid that he would be getting buy orders. grin 1minute ever do knaping out of flint/chert. GW

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have some chert about, but it's tough to work unless one gives it some heat treatment. We do not have flint here in the northwest, but I've worked a bit when I visited some folks back east. It too needs some heat to enhance it's workability.

Flint and chert make for tougher points than obsidian. Obsidian is the easiest of materials to work, and can generate the sharpest of edges. Cuts from obsidian are so clean that blood has a difficult time clotting on the smooth surfaces. Even small knicks will bleed for a half hour or so. The cuts disrupt so little tissue though that they are near healed in about 36 hours.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/18/11.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a couple more points. The dog treed a bullsnake in a yucca. He sure looks like the one I caught and played with a couple weeks ago about a mile away....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was at a farmer friend of mine's last night for dinner.
He's uncovered some real good stuff over the years.

This HUGE grinding stone is something special...

[Linked Image]

W/beer bottle for scale.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
haven't had time to poke around the prairie lately, but hit it this morning after chores....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Down by the creek this morning sitting on top of a pocket gopher mound.
[Linked Image]
A beautiful bird point. 1 1/16" long - 3/4" wide at the base. Set along side a Win 22lrf 40grain Power-Point.
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just down the road from me is a defunct museum called the Idaho Heritage Museum. A pot collector near here had a huge collection of artifacts he'd been collecting since he was a boy. He raised the money to open his own private museum to show it off. He also had an amazing collection of big game mounts that he'd shot over the years. You'd have to see his mule deer collection to believe it.

He had barely opened the doors when the feds moved in saying he'd collected most of his stuff illegally. Before the trial was over, he admitted that he'd got most of it along the Snake River in so. Idaho, all on public land. They confiscated all of his stuff and the place has never reopened.

Since then there have been rumors, unsubstantiated as far as I know, that many of his fabulous mule deer were taken 'under the radar' as those in high places might call it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice point. Reminds me I need to get out and poke around some more.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only artifacts that I've found lately have been empty beer cans and other trash.

Amazing how far some people will lug a full beer can but are too lazy to lug an empty can back out.

Page 7 of 63 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.