Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I now believe I've seen what I was looking for in our discussions over the MatchKing as a game bullet.
<br> The true Long Range Hunter is a very disciplined sort, who shoots at only undistrubed animals. No running shots are allowed under their self imposed rules. They hunt with a spotter. The spotter sees the shot hit the critter.
<br> Because the animal is undistrubed, even a less than ideal hit will kill. Because the animal is undistrubed, additional shots are quite possible. Because of the ranges involved much of the time, the critter doesn't know it's under fire.
<br> This is really why they haven't lost any. The animal is not distrubed. They can follow through, if necessary. Even if isn't hit again, it won't go far.
<br> This is not for me. I hunt critters that don't stand around in the open. They are often in cover, and have to be taken that way. One also needs to take running shots. Or you get no oportunities.
<br> Fortunately, we have bullets that work well this way. They usually shoot through the critters, even at bad angles.
<br> And, apparently, the "x" style bullets do quite well shooting through cover. I strongly suspect the Federal Throphy Bonded bullets will too. The Nosler Partition do work fairly well in this capacity, but can loose their cores and some penetrating ability.
<br> No, I've never lost one either. I have seen one lost. No bullet exit, and no blood trail was part of the problem. The other part of the problem was a poor hit on a running animal.
<br> I almost lost one once. A tumbling bullet broke a shoulder, and damaged a lung. I tracked that critter for about 3 1/2 hours. On my hands and knees. Very little blood. Again, no exit wound. Apparently the bullet hit some grass on the way to the target. I had tried to shoot over it.
<br> I have learned that the premiums give one a very valuable edge. I get particularly bent out of shape when I see recommendations for game shooting with bullets not designed for that work. The best bullets really do make a difference. I've seen the difference many times.
<br> Once more. I have a lot of respect for our Long range Hunters. They practice alot, and know what they can do. They don't shoot at moving animals, or under windy conditions.
<br> Their choice of bullets, under their rules,is up to them. I have no reason to believe they aren't being truthful. E
<br>
<br>

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E,
<br>
<br>OK, good.. I have to admit I am wondering ( as well as others I am sure ) why the 180 degree turn around.
<br>
<br>I myself as a LRH neophyte like to share the information and what little knowledge I have. Why so hard to get to see you where we were coming from.
<br>
<br>I now have some questions about your hunting. This is NOT a flame I just have some concerns. I personally would not shoot at a running animal or into brush. As far as I know every bullet can and does deflect. Where do you hunt that only offers such shots and is there a reason you cannot wait for a better opportunity?
<br>
<br>Nice to meet you and as always if you ever want to see the LRH thing in person or want to see how far you personally are capable of shooting with accuracy, don't hessitate to stop on over to Cody!
<br>
<br>see ya on the board...

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I hunt the Colorado Desert, which is a sub catagory of the Sonoran Desert. See Rick's photos of our hunting area in the photo section.
<br> The bucks I insist on are 4 yr. old, plus, class desert mulies called the Burro Deer (o.h.eremicus !) .
<br> They are masters of that habitat. Basically one hunts them by tracking, since their population density is very low, like .4 deer per section. That's .4, not 4.
<br> When you find them, they are often in cover. They may see you first. If they do, you get not only a running shot, but one in cover as well.
<br> It's quite a challenge.
<br> I do try to find a hole in the cover to shoot through. I had a nice buck walk away from me once because I couldn't find a way to make the shot-before he got tried of watching me.
<br> Yes. I've had them partially expand, and deflect. I have found that premiums, like the Partition, do better. They will, sometimes, loose their front core, however.
<br> Lately, I've learned that Big Stick has some videos made by an african hunter who regularly shoots through cover with the Barnes X. He has no real problems in so doing.
<br> I've also read of delection tests done by law enforcement people who have discovered that the factory Throphy Bonded ammo does not deflect when shooting through glass windows, unlike the standard Federal Match ammo. I suspect this load will work better than conventional hunting ammo as well.
<br> Perhaps I should add that most of the shooting is under a 100 yds. I have made kills as far as 300 yds. as well however. E
<br>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.