Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hello folks, I am a big lever action fan (shoot rifles left-handed). Anyways, after being on the fire for a bit, I have seen many extolling the virtues of the Savage 1899. So much so that I have been convinced to start looking for one. I would like to stay with a modern caliber like .243 or .308.

What I would like to know from owners of this gun is what I should be on the look for. Specific model designations, years of manufacture to seek, differences in quality to look for, price expectations, etc...

I apologize if this has been covered in previous threads, but I was unable to find any such thread through a cursory search of the database.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being a lefty you probably want a tang safe model.

A 99F tang safe model in 300 Savage (will do anything the 308 will) would be an fine choice and reasonably priced.

Usually features better materials, fit and finish than the later guns in 243/308/358.

Here are a few of my 99s:

[Linked Image]

The top two are Fs in 300 Savage, the other is an R, that I believe was never made with a tang safe. The F is also lighter than an R or EG.

Good place to start is on the Gun Auction sites or do a WTB (want to buy) in the Classified here. There is also a dedicated Savage thread you may want to look at.

Good hunting!

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input Goodie. I will have to look further into the 300.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mink,

Check in at the savagecollectors forum above for the best info.

For a first timer, I would recommend either an EG or R in 300. Both are prevalent and reasonably priced as they are generally not collectors items. You should be able to get an average or better one for $500 or so.

what you want, generally speaking, is a pre-mil (before 1,000,000 serial) 99. They are not too common in 243 or 308 with the exception of the 308F (featherweight) which is a great gun but will come with a bit of recoil. A 308F is going to run you more than the above... probably closer to $700-750 for a pretty nice one.

The pre-mils will have the lever safety for a righty, but I am left handed and have little issue with it... muscle memory has it to where I get it off somehow and don't really think about it.

Post-mils are not BAD guns they are just sort of the post 64 Winchester of model 70s... made cheaper. The later 99A saddle gun is prevalent in 243 with a tang safety and are well liked. The same gun in 250 are around also but tend to bring pretty serious money.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Andrew
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely..!

Drew is good people Mink, and I'd trust his advice.

Scott

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd buy any 99F in 308 that is NRA fine for $700. IF I could ever find one.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Drew, good info, and I have been reading through the threads over there. As I mentioned to Scott in a PM, I am just seeking knowledge at this point, and constantly scanning GB.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I shot lefty and wanted a Savage 99 in either 243 or 308, I think that I'd be looking for a tang safety 99DL or 99F from 1961-1963, when Savage was still cutting, rather than pressing, the checkering.

JEff

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mink,

I'm left-handed also and bought my first 99 this year. It's a post-mil (tang safety) .308 99F and I could hardly be happier with it - well maybe if it had cut checkering. Very accurate, and just feels "right." Planning on reducing the white tail population with it come November.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The tang safety is going to be easier on you as a lefty, but I'm left eye dominant and shoot left handed frequently and you can learn to manage the lever safety with practice. And if you just want it as a range gun, the safety won't be a big issue.

99's in 300 Savage are going to be much more common and lower price than 243's or 308's, and if you handload then a 300 Savage is very similar to the 308 in lighter weight bullets. If you don't handload, then there's limited factory ammo and it is getting pricey.

IC B3

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all for the input. Can never have too much knowledge or insight.

Calhoun, we share the same affliction being left-eye dominant. Looks really odd when I still shoot a pistol with my right hand.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Great suggestions above but I'll add that the red-headed stepchild "C's" are lefty-friendly, too. Press checkered and you lose the rotor because of the detachable mag but they tend to be lower-priced, and common in 308 & 243.

I've heard mention of a rare, retro fit safety that can turn the lever safety to tang, too.

Sinisterly yours,

PB

Support your local brewer.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drew has a couple of those lever to tang safety conversions on pre-1960 99's, but don't count on finding another one any time soon.

Some of the later 99C's aren't too bad, the ones from the 60's and 70's were really quite ugly. Here's a 99C in 243 from 1981, not fond of the white line spacers but the overall fit was pretty good. I spent my first couple of deer seasons with a nice 99C in 284, they usually work and shoot just fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ones from the later 90's looked like they'd work fine, and the design was okay, but the fit of wood to metal kinda sucked.

[Linked Image]

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Drew has a couple of those lever to tang safety conversions on pre-1960 99's, but don't count on finding another one any time soon.

Some of the later 99C's aren't too bad, the ones from the 60's and 70's were really quite ugly. Here's a 99C in 243 from 1981, not fond of the white line spacers but the overall fit was pretty good. I spent my first couple of deer seasons with a nice 99C in 284, they usually work and shoot just fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ones from the later 90's looked like they'd work fine, and the design was okay, but the fit of wood to metal kinda sucked.

[Linked Image]

Wow, looks like you are married to a keeper. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mink,

I going to guess that "Santa" brought him that gun and not momma!!

Here are a few picture of the dual safety conversions but as Rory said, it took a LOT and I mean LOT of looking at guns for sale to find the ones I have. I consider parting with a 308F with the mod but not even sure I want to do that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Andrew
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well keep me on the list of notifications if you decide to go that way.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Im also left EYE Dom. but right handed, and have about a doz. 99s there s few good ones for sale in the class. here right now and the guys are good to deal with!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you might want to consider the availability of ammo with the .308 being much easier to find, like some of the mom and pop stores that don't stock a lot of different ammo, its been know to forget to bring ammo. my .02

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That is definitely a consideration.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.