BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gents,
<br>
<br>I've got my first question here...
<br>
<br>Where does the 300WM fit into the long range hunting scheme of things?
<br>
<br>What are it's basic limitations as far as yardage and bullet weights?
<br>
<br>I've got to rethink this cartridge, as I've always preferred to feed mine 200gr Partitions. Just off the top of my head, I'm guess that's a bit heavy for this cartridge, when LRHing is the plan.
<br>
<br>Thanks

Brian

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BW,
<br>
<br>The 300 win mag is a very goos LR gun. You choice of bullet weight isn't bad either. The 190 or 200 gr SMK packs alot of punch from the 300 winny.
<br>
<br>For instance
<br>
<br>The 200 SMK at 2900 fps muzzle velocity
<br>
<br>at 1000 yards you have 1498 ft/sec and 997 ft. lbs.
<br>
<br>if you can be accurate you can be very effective.
<br>
<br>With your partition you limited to 800 yards
<br>
<br>at 800 same muzzle velocity
<br>
<br>1569 ft./sec 1093 ft. lbs. but remember this bullet is not nearly as accurate..
<br>
<br>DC has alot more information on the 300 winny....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 300 Win Mag is a very good LR caliber...There are still a few people I know using it at extended range's..With the RIGHT bullet and a long barrel it will cleanly take game at well over 1000 yard's....The heavy high B.C. bullet's are the way to go...........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BW,
<br>
<br>I have been using a 300 win mag for 4 years now - for medium range hunting (650 yards). I use the 180gr Ballistic tip for reasons already mentioned - high BC, flatness and accuracy. I guess the word is out why I never cared for Partition bullets as explained by WY. They just don't hold up very well and they aren't very accurate at extended ranges. According to WY (and I have no reason to doubt his stats) the Partition looses 200 yards in his comparison.
<br>
<br>I have shot to 750 yards with accuracy but I don't personally feel comfortable enough to that distance to make a clean kill on a deer because I shake so bad. I guess 650 yards is my personal limit.
<br>
<br>Like has already been said, stick with a high BC bullet that shoots accurately and you will be fine. Stay away from partitions for longer ranges. I know several people that have "tried" X Bullets but they seem to be difficult to get to shoot well. Most give up trying to get them to shoot since there are bullets out there that are so much easier to get to shoot well - at extended distances.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, what a suprise! I had the right weight bullets all along!
<br>
<br>My reason for shooting 200gr bullets, rather than lighter 165 or even 180gr bullets, is the fact my deer hunting takes place in Brown Bear territory. While not a "stopper cartridge" I always felt better with my 300WM loaded with heavier bullets. I had tried 220gr bullets, but the groups weren't that great.
<br>
<br>My 300WM is a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. Not the greatest action around for building custom rifles. I've pretty much retired it for hunting (my style, normal ranges) as I prefer Mauser type actions. So it's a rifle I can play with, without worrying that I'll need it next weekend to go hunting.
<br>
<br>I see now that Brownells offers an after-market trigger, so perhaps I'll start there. If anyone know a gunsmith how has a reputation working on A-Bolts, I'd like to hear about them. Or, I guess Pac Nor could do a rebarrel/action truing job.
<br>
<br>Oh well, I've gotten way ahead of myself. I've got other projects I need to do first.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the help!

Brian

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hello BW
<br>
<br>Yes, indeed the 300 Win mag is a very good cartridge.
<br>
<br>With Match Kings of 200 Gr AND 220 grs they are deadly at 1000 (plus) yards with the correct rifle such as one with a 30" barrel. The increse in velocity from the longer barrel helps the 300 Win mag to accomplish this extended range.
<br>
<br>With "your" sporter rifle and hunting in Brown Bear country, I would have the same bullet and weight as you are using. If your accuracy is there with the partition, then by all means use that. I have never been able to get good accuracy at longrange with the Partitions though.
<br>
<br>For deer and elk at longrange (with a longrange setup) and NOT in Brown bear country, I would use the 200 or 220 Sierra MK in the 300 Win Mag.
<br>
<br>Hope that helped also.
<br>
<br>Darryl

BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How's this for weird...
<br>
<br>I was rooting in my "loaded ammo" drawer (in large storage unit next to reloading bench) and saw a box of Federals way in the back.
<br>
<br>I pulled it out, and it was a box of Federal premium bullets in 300 Win Mag, factory loaded with 200gr Sierra Game King bullets. I remembered a buddy who was leaving the island gave them to me on his way out.
<br>
<br>I realize they're not "Match" Kings, but I think I'll take them to the range next time out, and see how they do.
<br>
<br>I also recall thinking at the time... "This guys nuts, using these bullets while out hunting if bear territory!" [Linked Image]

Brian

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian,
<br>
<br>You think that's nuts? I picked up a book off of the "discount" table in the bookstore in Sitka. "The Alaska Wolf Man" - great reading for the flight home. I think the heaviest rifle he used for Grizzly ( I know, not a brownie) was an '06. Some of his smaller caliber choices were really scary.
<br>
<br>Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.