Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi there guys,
Just want to get the numbers for for tightening the action screws on my hawkeye.
Just fitted a new Hogue overmoulded with the full length bedding block but wish to know what inch/lbs to tighten the angled screw and rear screw??
I recall 60 for the rear and 40 for the angled?? Does this sound right?
Any other tips?
Cheers
Gus

Last edited by Gus_K; 09/02/11.
BP-B6

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
95 on the front

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bloodworks
95 on the front

Correctamungo, I usually don't tighten the rear and middle screws that tight though, especially the middle screw. Just go snug with the middle screw.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gorilla or farmer tight on the front screw, tight on rear screw and tighten middle screw so it won't fall out. This is the general rule for the Rugers I have owned, however there have been exceptions.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Gorilla or farmer tight on the front screw, tight on rear screw and tighten middle screw so it won't fall out. This is the general rule for the Rugers I have owned, however there have been exceptions.

I agree completely, especially when you have them bedded correctly. To the OP, good luck with that hogue overmolded stock. Chances are you are going to have to skim bed it though to wring out the accuracy in that rifle (we've talked about that before, but just wanted to remind you).

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Hi there guys,
Just want to get the numbers for for tightening the action screws on my hawkeye.
Just fitted a new Hogue overmoulded with the full length bedding block but wish to know what inch/lbs to tighten the angled screw and rear screw??
Any other tips?
Cheers
Gus

would apreciate a field report after you shoot it. i'm thinking about picking up one myself. would like to hear before and after results, comfort in shooting and anything else you think about it.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just went out to the shop. Dug out the inch lb torque wrench and tried to torque the angled screw to 90lb. With the flat head groove screw head that is not going to happen. I did get to 65 inch lb before the bit would not stay in the screw. Then i backed it off and set it by hand as tight as i could, then tested it with the torque wrench. 45inlb. This is where i'll leave it with the flat head screw. If i had a allen head or torx head screw i might try for more inlb. But unless i want to destroy my flat head screw, trying 95inlb is not something i will try again.

Last edited by baltz526; 09/02/11.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL...I did the same exact thing once. No way I could get it to 95 inch/lbs. Forgot what I did crank it too, no matter I just get it as tight as I can without screwing up the screw head.

I have several Ruger's and they probably all have a different inch/lb setting if I measured it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Managed to get the stock on and did 60 (angled acrew) and 40 on the rear.
At least the barrel is free floated now .
BSA - I will see how it shoots - but I am confident it will shoot as required without any vertical stringing.

Gus

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I went 60 inch pounds on the front, and 35 on the rear.

Make sure that the magazine box floats or it will push up on the center of the action.

Remove completely the center screw or only tighten it with your fingernail.

All the stocks will benefit from bedding the recoil lug. if only one corner is touching the recoil lug or the action is not sitting down on the bedding block, you are screwed on accuracy.

I just got finished tweeking one out.

Also, check the hole that the angled screw goes through, I have had to open up the last two that I worked on.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is what Keith is talking about.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Standard non-bedded stocks and with standard chamberings, I tend to start with 35-in/lb front, 25-in/lb rear, and 15-in/lb middle. Usually somewhere in that range +/- is about as high as you can go before binding the mag box. This is ample torque for a non-bedded standard chambering or even a properly bedded big magnum chambering. But on a non-bedded factory inletted stock in the big magnums, you may run into issues if you do not follow the Ruger prescribed high torque specifications, as they tend to find any looseness in the bedding to get a running start which can easily result in cracks. This is one of the reasons behind their posted video on the Ruger website.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Hi there guys,
Any other tips?
Cheers
Gus

would apreciate a field report after you shoot it. i'm thinking about picking up one myself. would like to hear before and after results, comfort in shooting and anything else you think about it.

Jim,
I tried the full length bedding block Hogue stock today on my Ruger hawkeye - and the rifle shot very well . Using factory Federal Premium Vital Shok loads (270 Win) with the 130 Grain Ballistic tips - I got one group well under half an inch and a few others around 0.75 inch - which is spot on - and heck, I aint the best shooter off the bench!!!

So I can recommend the Hogue stock with the full bedding block very highly.
Gus

Last edited by Gus_K; 09/11/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keith
I went 60 inch pounds on the front, and 35 on the rear.

Make sure that the magazine box floats or it will push up on the center of the action.

Remove completely the center screw or only tighten it with your fingernail.

All the stocks will benefit from bedding the recoil lug. if only one corner is touching the recoil lug or the action is not sitting down on the bedding block, you are screwed on accuracy.

I just got finished tweeking one out.

Also, check the hole that the angled screw goes through, I have had to open up the last two that I worked on.

You didn't mention that if things arn't right with the wood stock in fit-up it may crack the stock when you put the full torque requirement on it. It happens, I've had to fix a few like this. As it is now, I bed all my ruger rifles from the get go.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
397 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.