Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge,
Agree on the 340 Accumark. I like mine, but it is too darn heavy to carry around in the elk mountains, at least for me.
If I had to do it over, I would build a 340 up on a M70 or M700 action, make it lighter, and go hunting.
My Accumark also was a fickle b**** to get to shoot, but now that I use RL25 and the TSX, that problem has been solved.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Too easy to yield a far superior rifle,of much improved balance/handling,for less money.

The 257,300 and 340 are Roy's best efforts,as chamberings go,despite my nostalgic 378 bias. Their best actions were prior to the 9-lug abortions and twin lugged,ala the Sako/FN melding and I hate Mousers.

Too easy to reach 1K+ with a 7 pound rifle,if only for starters and to arrange 100yd bugholes to boot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
340 I was fortunate. Mine were very easy to get shooting accurately, in fact all my Weatherbys have been sub moa shooters. My "go to" rifle's always been my stock 300 Weatherby MKV Deluxe and with it I've taken over fifteen head of African game and over here I've used it on Black Bear, hogs, etc. I think where the Accumarks shine are on open terrain like the Karoo,out west in the plains or from fixed hunting stands and ranges are long. Were I hunting in the mountains and I wanted to use a Weatherby, I'd use one of their lightweight offerings.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge,
Glad yours was a shooter out of the box!
If I ever got to Namibia or some such place for plains or somewhat mountainous? hunting, I would love to use that 340 on Zebra or big Antelope.
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is no better caliber for that application in my opinion. A 250TSX will take anything from buffalo on down and if the range is long on one of those mountain zebras, tht 340 is just the ticket. I bought the Accumark 340 for big bears, but never have gotten around to booking. I do have a Lazermark ready for the type of hunt you describe though! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Boxer
Too easy to yield a far superior rifle,of much improved balance/handling,for less money.

The 257,300 and 340 are Roy's best efforts,as chamberings go,despite my nostalgic 378 bias. Their best actions were prior to the 9-lug abortions and twin lugged,ala the Sako/FN melding and I hate Mousers.

Too easy to reach 1K+ with a 7 pound rifle,if only for starters and to arrange 100yd bugholes to boot.

............Ok then! To properly educate us Accumark owners, so that on our next buy we don`t make the same mistakes, then perhaps you can give us your buying solution.

Setting aside the cost, specifically what rifle brand or brands do you suggest that are a "far superior" rifle to the Accumark, that have chamberings on par with the power of the 340 and 338-378?

And could you please detail for us one by one, "exactly how and why" the brand or brands you suggest would be far superior?

And in your opinion, do you think it would be beneficial for the shooter to have a rifle chambered in either the 340 or the 338-378 weighing around 7 lbs before scope?

And lastly, could you please offer your detailed opinion as to how and why the Wby 9 lug actions are undesirable?

I think we Accumark owners are willing to take some good advise here (I`m willing), so that in the future we can avoid making a poor buying decision.

Thank you in advance.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can say this...
Lug contact is a huge factor in creating reliable, repeatable accuracy from a bolt gun. Ever seen the lug contact from a 9-lugged weatherby?
I have, and it ain't pretty...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I can say this...
Lug contact is a huge factor in creating reliable, repeatable accuracy from a bolt gun. Ever seen the lug contact from a 9-lugged weatherby?
I have, and it ain't pretty...
...The lug contact ain`t pretty in what respect? What does ain`t pretty exactly mean?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not consistant on any of the lugs...
Not complete on any of the lugs...

In fact I have never seen a 6 or 9 lug Weatherby with what you would call consistant or even lug contact.

If you doubt my experience start a thread in the gunsmith section, and see what others say.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not consistant on any of the lugs...
Not complete on any of the lugs...

In fact I have never seen a 6 or 9 lug Weatherby with what you would call consistant or even lug contact.

If you doubt my experience start a thread in the gunsmith section, and see what others say.
......Well so far my Accumark`s bolt cycles as smooth as a baby`s butt and is wonderfully easy to cycle as well. Is extremely smooth.

In removing the bolt just now, I don`t notice any unusual wear contact or any indications of alignment issues.

It certainly seems to me that if anything were to occur as you state, then the first indicator or symptoms would be a harder to close and harder to cycle bolt. I`m just not getting any of that.

And if I do, I`ll cross that bridge when I get to it. But for now, its very smooth sailing.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bigcheese quote. "FYI, The Accumark did reeeeeel well today. But you are right though, it was an imaginary hunt."

Bigsneeze, Are you fishing or shooting????? Hell, you don't even know. Try a a little spelling and grammar you dunce....my gosh, you are an embarrassment.

Hang on...I'm getting another bite from a dumb sucker that doesn't know when to quit biting the hook. But again, his 1 shot groups are all MOA laugh

The Roy creations I have owned and shot had an average of 4 lugs making contact...even then, they were only about 60% contact. Piss poor design, but it reels in the suckers like Bigcheese every time. Here comes another bit. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
....you are talking way over her head here. Didn't you just read that she cycled the baby butt smooth bolt? She is Googling "bolt lug contact" as we speak wink Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
......Well so far my Accumark`s bolt cycles as smooth as a baby`s butt and is wonderfully easy to cycle as well. Is extremely smooth.

In removing the bolt just now, I don`t notice any unusual wear contact or any indications of alignment issues.

It certainly seems to me that if anything were to occur as you state, then the first indicator or symptoms would be a harder to close and harder to cycle bolt. I`m just not getting any of that.

And if I do, I`ll cross that bridge when I get to it. But for now, its very smooth sailing.

Bolt lug contact has almost zero to do with the ease or difficulty of how the bolt closes/opens. Although I would wager with less lug contact a bolt would probably be pretty damned slick to operate.
Its about having a consistant bearing surface for the bolt to provide strength/safety for the action, and also repeatabilty for the best accuracy.
Lug contact is far more serious of an issue than a bolt cycling smoothly. Further uneven/inconsistant lug contact isn't particularly visable without the use of lay out fluid.

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 09/21/11. Reason: spelling
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Flinch
Bigcheese quote. "FYI, The Accumark did reeeeeel well today. But you are right though, it was an imaginary hunt."

Bigsneeze, Are you fishing or shooting????? Hell, you don't even know. Try a a little spelling and grammar you dunce....my gosh, you are an embarrassment.

Hang on...I'm getting another bite from a dumb sucker that doesn't know when to quit biting the hook. But again, his 1 shot groups are all MOA laugh

The Roy creations I have owned and shot had an average of 4 lugs making contact...even then, they were only about 60% contact. Piss poor design, but it reels in the suckers like Bigcheese every time. Here comes another bit. Flinch
.............Welcome....the "Flinch" man,,,,who interferes like a perverbial pest with his usual posting im-maturities contained in his first three paragraphs above.

Beginning with "the Roy creations I owned" you started to make some sense up until that sentence ended.

If ya wanna disagree then fine, do so. But I see that you cannot keep the insults to yourself?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Bolt lug contact has almost zero to do with the ease or difficulty of how the bolt closes/opens. Although I would wager with less lug contact a bolt would probably be pretty damned slick to operate.
Its about having a consistant bearing surface for the bolt to provide strength/safety for the action, and also repeatabilty for the best accuracy.
Lug contact is far more serious of an issue than a bolt cycling smoothly. Further uneven/inconsistant lug contact isn't particularly viasable without the use of lay out fluid.
...Ok! I do get it and understand that. Thanks.

However with that said, it remains to be seen whether or not what you describe occurs with my particular Accumark. I`ll be more aware of what to look for should accuracy fall off somewhat in the future.

In the meantime, I`m enjoying it though. The thing is one accurate and fun beast.

Knowing what I know now about 9 lugs, would I buy it again? Yeah because I wanted either a 340 or the 338-378. The Accumark was the choice.

A sucker for a Wby? Yeah maybe. But if I ever fail to get my game with that rifle, I doubt it will be the Accumark`s fault regardless of any future lug contact issues.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Made a call to Weatherby headquarters a few minutes ago and talked with a nice gent up there by the name of Dean, who according to him, as been with Bee for about 50 years. He is their highest rated technical adviser.

I`m just passing along the information here as to what he told me regarding the 9 lug MK5 actions. So you can believe him or not believe in what he explained to me. I`m just the messenger.

I explained to him that I was an Accumark owner of several months and the reasons for my call as it related to the MK5 9 lug actions having consistent bearing surface for the bolt and etc, of which ThomasMagnum explained in his above post.

Dean said that these assumptive problems concerning that issue, about the MK5 action bearing surfaces, have been talked about amongst the smiths and shooters for many many years. While he understands their concerns, their assumptions are incorrect in Dean`s opinion. He has heard about this thousands and thousands of times over the years.

He indicated that because of the 9 lug MK5 action, there is more machining to that design, which will naturally increase the amount of total bearing surface.

And he also said this....That regardless of whether the total bearing contact for the 9 lugs is say only 50% or 60%, that will not detract in anyway from the Mk5`s action reliability or accuracy. A total of 9 lugs are there to achieve the best possible action strength, but not all lugs are required, giving an absolutely perfect bearing surface, in order to achieve long lasting accuracy and reliability.

He also said that he would gladly put the MK5 action against any other on the market in a test for action strength.

He further pointed that there is a Thompson`s Shooting Systems up in Utah somewhere (they teach long range hunting and/or is a long range club of some kind up there), whom specifically order and use the 30-378 MK5s.

Dean at Weatherby.......1-805-227-2600

So I`m not gonna rush out and put my Accumark on the selling or trading block,,,,,,,,,,,,just yet. LOL!

So there ya have it. And as stated before I`m just passing along the information.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I dont have one in the safe to look at and probably never will but I understand it uses 9 smaller lugs. Can the lugs be lapped to full contact? If all of them could be lapped to anything close to 75% would it actually give a bigger surface area than a typical two lug set up?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I dont have one in the safe to look at and probably never will but I understand it uses 9 smaller lugs. Can the lugs be lapped to full contact? If all of them could be lapped to anything close to 75% would it actually give a bigger surface area than a typical two lug set up?
..................You`d have to call Bee and ask them. But as I stated above and according to Dean at Wby, you don`t need all the lugs in absolutely perfect contact with one another.

I bought mine, I`m shooting it, I`ll hunt with it and I am putting any false presumptions or perceived presumptions concerning the MK5 action well on the back burner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow...you owned one a whole couple of months and are now the resident Weatherby expert and you are defending "It's" honor like a slutty prom date? Congratulations? What an idiot...lmao. Bigsneeze got her feelers hurt and had to call someone that actually knows something. Keep digging there sneeze. Wait guys, I'm getting another bite. I think I will cut the line on this sucker laugh Flinch

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Boxer

............Ok then! To properly educate us Accumark owners, so that on our next buy we don`t make the same mistakes, then perhaps you can give us your buying solution.

Setting aside the cost, specifically what rifle brand or brands do you suggest that are a "far superior" rifle to the Accumark, that have chamberings on par with the power of the 340 and 338-378?

And could you please detail for us one by one, "exactly how and why" the brand or brands you suggest would be far superior?

And in your opinion, do you think it would be beneficial for the shooter to have a rifle chambered in either the 340 or the 338-378 weighing around 7 lbs before scope?

And lastly, could you please offer your detailed opinion as to how and why the Wby 9 lug actions are undesirable?

I think we Accumark owners are willing to take some good advise here (I`m willing), so that in the future we can avoid making a poor buying decision.

Thank you in advance.

You haven't the faculties to be educated,nor do you shoot enough to have an inkling and the melding is priceless humor.

Stupidy is innate and you are simply incapable of shaking the plight and processing the obvious objectively. You'd rather Karate Chop,hold your breath,stomp your feet and burn incredible amounts of bandwidth to pinpoint your glaring stupidity,then get upset when called on your Imaginary Tales and gross fabrications fraught with Window Licking trains of "thought" and Mall Ninja "experience".

Maybe you will call BSA next and get their Optics Guru on the horn to wax eloquent on the "excellence" of BSA? I'm sure Cough Silencer has an esteemed Tech Guru too!? May as well ring the bell and get a NV tutorial from an ATN Tech too. Laffin'!

More than a touch revealing when someone with goods in hand,has to call someone else and ask them about it! I'm impressed in how easily a boltgun stumps you and your Imagination both. I'd wager Dean made more than a few of the boys cry in laughter,after that call. Wow.

Get a kick out of your never having killed anything with your 9-lugged POS,yet you fervently defend it's Safe Queen status and feel compelled to brag about Improved Cylinder patterns. You are in way over your head on all levels,both in theory and application...all of which is a shame of sorts because you haven't the brains to process just how stupid you are.

A SuperSoaker with colored water in it,so you could see trace/impact would be far more beneficial to you and with it,you might manage a "whopping" 4 trips to the range a month. It's stopping power is well beyond that which is requisite for your "pursuits" and it would easily punch as many tags as you have with your lauded 9-lugged brainfart. The reduction in recoil and noise,coupled with superior handling,just might sway you to spend more trigger time in reality,as opposed to your Imaginary round "counts".

You will perpetually bitch/moan/complain,play the role of victim and continually make yourself look far more stupid than anyone else ever could...none of which is an act.

Bless your heart.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.