Print Thread
Hop To
D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Savage Model 23 D with Weaver Model 344 Scope.

Collectible or shooter? Value?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks, donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Collectible if you're a Savage or 23 nut; certainly a shooter. Don't hotrod the handloads, is all. I'll leave the value for somebody who buys and sells more than I do. If I had one of these in that condition, assuming the bore is as good as the outside, it would NOT be for sale! The scope is valuable too--made on OUR side of the border. How often do you see that?

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well !!! i would call it a nice shooter, those scope blocks tapped into the barrel kill the "COLLECTABLE" aspect to me. Don

D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Loggah,

I was afraid of that. (HaHa) Does anyone know of any "remedy" for rescoping? My eyes are not made for this scope at this stage of my life.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
donsm70,I dont know of any 1" scope mounts for the 23D ,weaver made a scope mt for them but its for a 3/4" tube also. It is a beauty of a rifle regardless. Don

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Weaver 334 is a low end 3/4".22 scope from the late 30's. The rifle has been been D&T'ed with the front mount set clear to the front end of the scope. That is going to cause problems with using a better quality 3/4" scope as most are shorter in length than the 334. The Weaver 333, 29-S and J2.5 would fit but the rear of the scope will be just about the back end of the bolt of the rifle. The J2.5 might have enough eye relief to work.
The other option depends of wheather the rifle is a late enough production to have two hole drilled on the left side of the receiver. If it does then the current Weaver "side mount" with a #2 base would be an option. This mount is for a 1" scope and would depend on what will fit in the mount and still give you the corrent eye relief.

Your other option would be a receiver sight which mounts on top of the reciever. The options depends on how many holes (factory) are drilled in your rifle. You would probably need to front sight (which is not original to the rifle).

That rifle looks to have seen little use and should be a real shooter!

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks Rick.

I'm sure it hasn't been used much. The problem is that I can't see what I'm shooting at!

Old age really does suck.

Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Weaver 334 is a very low end scope and usually very cloudy. A J2.5 would be a big improvement with a larger field of view and brighter.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
Pic of my 23 Hornet with Weaver top bases. Was sorta useless to me without a scope.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Saw the post and thought I would include a couple more options for scope mounting.I`ve included a couple photos of my 23`s.One has a Texan scope with a Litschert Varmitmaster booster and is mounted with a Weaver N3 side mount using the factory drilled holes.This mount is for a 7/8 tube rather than 3/4. Second one came to me with Unertl/Lyman target blocks and a 4x William Malcolm scope with a neat aperture reticle.I have replaced that scope with a bit more power with the Litschert targeteer 6X that is pictured.The Malcolm will soon be on a 1885 Low wall project.I agree with the idea of not adding extra holes on a collectable rifle.Many of us in this hobby though have left our 20/20 long ago and can`t enjoy shooting these old pieces without the aid of optics.Decision is similar to the one of restore or not restore.If you are going to use it and it will stay in the family instead of heading to the next gunshow what`s the harm? In your case you already have some holes from the Weaver "B" mounts that are there now.They were a pretty good mount in the day but I don`t know of any bases that would match up so you could use those holes.Best I would imagine would be finding some that would cover them perhaps with the aid of some plug screws.With a set of new bases and one inch rings the choice of a scope is only governed by your pocketbook.Good luck and enjoy shooting it cause they are great rifles. Joe

Attached Images
IMG_2942.JPG (61.41 KB, 1656 downloads)
IMG_2944.JPG (57.77 KB, 2092 downloads)

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice.. I like them both!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

donsm70

D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have decide to sell this pictured Savage 23-D.

Can someone advise as to it's value?

Thanks. donsm70

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 23 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.