Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I think everybody, short range, long range, whatever range, should calm down. First off, those who think long range hunting is wrong or unethical or whatever, here at least, keep your mouths shut. It's polite. This is for people who have something to ask. I do not think long range hunting is fair chase, but you don't hear me bitching and moaning about it every chance I get. If you haven't read all those posts about how these guys go about their craft, please do. These are not your joe smoes flinging lead at deer 1000 yards away. These guys, fair chase or not, unethical or ethical, obviously know what the hell they are doing.
<br> Long range guys, I realize you are putting up with a lot of [bleep], and I apologize for it. And I appreciate some of you doing the best you can to keep patient and all. But, even though somebody may be calling you names, that's not an excuse to stoop to their level. Darryl, IIFID, please don't wring one another's necks. Insults are uncalled for. This is for people who can restraing themselves and think with a clear head. Whoever wants to have a shooting match with money in the pot, go for it. There is however, no need to call each other names and other such tiddly [bleep] before the match.
<br> Ok, you all get the idea now I am sure. Whatever hunter you are, just keep cool, and if you wanna bitch, best to do it elsewhere. Or hold your tongue. This is for people to enjoy and learn from, and teach others if they have the knowledge. Please don't ruin it.
<br> We are all hunters, shooters, all bonded by the second amendment. We need to act unified. And if you like, take a look at my signature once. We all have common ground. Let's grow up.
<br>
<br>*rant mode off*

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well said, Like I said in my other post. I hope we can resolve this and get on with other things. You know like Big Stick twisting our arms to build a GOOD rifle in an Ackley form. We Jedi's do listen.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Hunter...
<br>"...at least, keep your mouths shut." At the most, what? Lets hear your guidelines, your rules of engagement.
<br>
<br>Fair chase, no bitching? Maybe so, but you're bitching about what others are bitching about... fair chase, unethical practices, etc.
<br>
<br>"These guys... obviously know what the hell they are doing." But they DON'T know what the animals may decide to do, when a bullet is in the air for long periods of time. And what it MAY do after it gets hit. Having a track record, and/or NOT experiencing this aspect, don't/won't make up for this.
<br>
<br>I didn't call them names, but I was called names. I don't need to stoop to their level, or them to mine. Its not about levels, but about "Should they do it?"
<br>"We need to act unified." Sorry, but I don't support unethical "hunting". ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RG,
<br>
<br>Name calling , look at your first post. You talk about respect for animals. YOU have NO respect, for your fellow hunters unless they hunt the way YOU do.
<br>So when and where is your lecture on hunting and how we should all hunt. Is it invite only or can the general public attend?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I figure everybody does what suits them best. My tastes are certainly far enough into left field,that I have a very good understanding,of being in the minority. That must suit me,as that is the direction my passions lie.
<br>
<br>Anyhow,what someone else does,really is none of my damn business,as long as they are playing within the legal guideines or being maliciously stupid/wreckless/dangerous. That leaves much latitude,for a myriad of variables,as I doubt there are two guys anywhere,that do anything the same,in regards to Hunting/Shooting.
<br>
<br>I come sniffing over on this Board,hoping to gleen some insight. My hopes are that after the mandatory feeling out process,someone will chime in with some good info that is new to me,in the area of shooting at a distance. The extreme side of killing critters at a distance doesn't personally appeal to me. However,the equipment involved sparks my curiousity,as shooting long has always intrigued me. I can appreciate the dedication and the choice in equipment,that will help a guy yield optimal results. Thus far,there has been damn little of that,but I'm sure after some time the focus will come back to the heart of the matter.
<br>
<br>I figure live and let live,unless someone is an obvious Troll,simply bent on stirring the [bleep]. They gotta go. Barring that,variety is the spice of life.
<br>
<br>Your mileage may vary...................
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Suluuq, the way I figure it, honest questioning of this sport is fine, trying to find a loophole or whatever. For the most part, that is what you are doing. These guys do seem to be a bit offended, so don't phrase it in such a manner so as to make them thing you are an @$$. I asked some honest questions regarding 2000 yard kills, such as what the bullet energy and such is, and I got my question answered. Bitching at these guys isn't doing a thing for their reputation, nor is it doing anything for yours. As I stated, I don't agree with their method of hunting (or shooting if you wish), but seeing as they say they haven't lost an animal, and nobody here can disprove them, and seeing as they seem like relatively nice and patient folks, I am inclined to believe them. If you look at the original Long Range Hunting thread posted by 7mmbuster, this pot has been going round and round and round ever since.
<br> As far as hunter unity (or shooter unity or whatever), if these guys are not wounding animals like they say they aren't, and if you haven't wounded anything, then what's the difference. Dead is dead. The antis are after all of us, whether it be you with that big ol .45-70, or one of those guys with a .300 Tomahawk. We are letting ourselves get seperated by our method of hunting. To keep on hunting, we will need to be united. Now, I agree, that if general public gets a whiff of people killing animals at 2000 yards, they probably aren't gonna like hunters very much. But then, they wouldn't like you sitting up in that treestand of yours wearing camo too much either. Nor would they like me sitting outside a cornfield waiting for meat to come out. To the general public, none of these is sporting per se, though we all know that this hunting is more challenging than it looks. That is why the unified front. That is why I am sick and tired of everybody (including LRH guys) getting down and dirty with one another. Best thing to do is let this all cool down.
<br> Look at my signature. That is from a song by Creed, but it certainly applies here. If we don't stand unified, they will take us all seperately. In the end, we will be unified. They will have taken all our guns, and all our ground for hunting. That will only be if we let them though. Remember that.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just a note to the long range guys. You should take part in some of the non long range forums this site has to offer. NO, Suluuq, and IIFID may not like your form of hunting, and may openly object to it and take a few shots at you regarding the topic. But this does not mean that they aren't nice people. Most of us (if not all) have a sense of humor, and are relatively easy going folks. I think that if you talked to one of the above mentioned guys, you'll find out that they are like that. You should see some of those stories we wrote. Hey, that gives me an idea....

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess the next thing is that we will have to make nice to all the ATV users that run all over the country side screwing up everybody'e elses hunt, because they are hunters too!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
saddlesore - I may have the solution. The LRH'rs get to shoot at the ATV'rs that are riding where they shouldn't [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wyo... I am not name-calling the way it was done to me! Saying I have no respect for a certain way something is done, is not name-calling. Its the way one feels about it. I simply don't agree with the idea of shooting at live animals at extreme ranges. I've explained why I feel this way. You've explained why you feel the way you do about it, and we come to the conclusion we disagree about it. End of story. Just don't expect me to give up my morals, ethics, opinion, to help you justify your point of view. ~~~Suluuq

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
For all intensive purposes, somebody actually thought I was accusing RG of sitting in a tree stand in camo. I was simply making a point, regardless of whether he does or not. The general public does not like 'hunters' who wait for their animals period, short range, long range, whatever range.
<br> Since RG likes to stalk his animals, I am not sure how the general public would react to that. Maybe Disney will make a video of him portraying him as the mad stalker, me as the hidden lurker (or whatever), and those Daryll as the magical monster. My point simply is the general public doesn't like hunters.
<br> Anyways, now let the ruckus continue as the hunters continue to rip one another's heads off.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.