Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't see any directions about washing and just wondering if you can throw it in the machine or need to do it by hand?

Thanks,

JM

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Will it fit in the washer??? (grin)

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You so funny! wink

I heard yer head was so big, you had to steal the hat that Rides on top of NAPA trucks. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
tin cloth doesn't go in the washer....brush it off, wipe it with a wet rag. someone who shall remain nameless washed my favorite tin cloth pants....afterward they fit my then ten year old daughter perfectly. it will also destroy the waterproofing.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I know now one shouldn't put a Pronghorn Sling in the washing machine.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can do it......but be ready to spend a lot of time trying to undo it. as said, put your hat on and look up a porqupines butt....look both ways. then wipe it off.....good as new.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The other day I was blading the driveway. A branch knocked off my tin hat. The next time I saw it, the hat was coming out from under the grader blade. I picked it up, smacked it on my thigh a few times, and plopped it back on my head. No damage atall. It is only about 20 years old, so it does not need a bath yet.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I know putting some support inside my ball caps and running them through a dishwasher cycle works well.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
There is one hell of a difference between a tin hat and a ball cap. Basically it is cotton vs plastic.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I understand. I'll let you big hat spenders sort it out. I'll stick to my ball caps and the dishwasher. Works great on tennis shoes,too!

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run my freebie caps through the dishwasher once in a while. My Filson hat is like it was bought new 25 yrs ago. A little dirty, but just the way I like it, and it keeps my head dry.

Wifey washed my Carhart overalls one time, years back. The legs shrunk up to my calves.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Don't see any directions about washing and just wondering if you can throw it in the machine or need to do it by hand?

Thanks,

JM

I'd soap up a bristle brush, wet the hat and start scrubbing the brim. Go around a couple times and rinse it. Dry it with a towel to remove as much of the water as possible. It works for mine.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks,

JM

Why don't you just wear it in the shower and shampoo the chapeau? whistle

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thanks,

JM

Yes it can but you will not me happy with the results. Do what Steve said.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My hat only has a brim and crown.

Couldn't afford the chapeau option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks,

JM
dont know what your looks like,but mine is made of wool on the inside.That should tell you what you need to know.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mine isn't wool lined.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can, but I wouldn't...

How do I clean my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment?
Wipe or brush away surface soil or buildup with a damp cloth or scrub brush. If necessary, use cold water to loosen up any caked mud or dirt. (Some customers just hose `em down at the end of the day.) We advise against spot cleaning with soap and water, as it may result in a loss of water repellency or color in that spot. If it is absolutely necessary to spot clean an Oil Finish garment, you may need to re-wax that spot to restore the water repellency after it dries.
DO NOT professionally dry clean Oil Finish garments. Dry cleaning solutions destroy the Oil Finish, effectively turning Oil Finish fabrics into Dry Finish fabrics. If an Oil Finish garment is dry cleaned, it will need to be re-waxed to restore its water repellency.
DO NOT machine wash Oil Finish garments. Machine washing breaks down the Oil Finish, and sometimes causes the fabric to shrink. Most importantly, machine washing will not soften Oil Finish Tin Cloth. In fact, it may make the fabric stiffer than before.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
JM,

If you get yours a little too wet, I have a hat stretcher I'll let you borrow. laugh

Ask me how I know that they WILL shrink! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.